Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it's been mentioned on here but Allen Carr Easyway works if you don't want patches, gum or drugs. Helps if you want to give up though. If you're not ready then it will be useless.

I quit a week ago after reading this book. I was a smoker for 25 years, I have tried everything to stop. I honestly didn't think stopping could be this easy.

Edited by john_deer

Champix ftw...I know quite a lot of people who succeeded with this pill.

V12Man - apart from the extreme nausea, what other side effects do you know of with this pill?

Hypnotherapy is not a pill, basically they hypnotise you and implant a suggestion that you should not smoke - no pain at all. One might be sceptical about it (and I certainly am being a more tradidtional medicine type) but it does work for lots of things - I have watched my dad (now retired) do a fair amount of dental surgery on his patients without pain meds under hypnosis as well, and I cannot deny that it is effective (but I will still stick to traditinal meds in my personal case) and it definately has a place in treatment.

I have watched this work well on some people that have been otherwise unsuccessfuly in stopping the habit, and if someone wants a contact I can provide that.

Of course there are other ways... :) - my wife was a light smoker before we got married - just set a rule - you smoke, no hanky panky... and it worked... with a bit of effort and a helping hand from a pregnancy.

Hypnotherapy is not a pill, basically they hypnotise you and implant a suggestion that you should not smoke - no pain at all. One might be sceptical about it (and I certainly am being a more tradidtional medicine type) but it does work for lots of things - I have watched my dad (now retired) do a fair amount of dental surgery on his patients without pain meds under hypnosis as well, and I cannot deny that it is effective (but I will still stick to traditinal meds in my personal case) and it definately has a place in treatment.

I have watched this work well on some people that have been otherwise unsuccessfuly in stopping the habit, and if someone wants a contact I can provide that.

Of course there are other ways... smile.png - my wife was a light smoker before we got married - just set a rule - you smoke, no hanky panky... and it worked... with a bit of effort and a helping hand from a pregnancy.

was ref to Champix (the pill)

was ref to Champix (the pill)

Sorry - teach me to not read the whole thread.

It is not something I would reccomend for a cyclist - there are effects on kidney function that are largely unstudied in endurance sorts (as well as a huge number of other side effects) - Given that I have been involved with 2 sets of kidney failure this year due to NSAID use by endurance cyclists, I am NOT in favour of anything that might precipitate this.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/varenicline-side-effects.html

Why swap one drug for another? just suck it up and quit, or get a some head help to understand why you keep trying and giving up and restarting, and deal with that - it is your head that needs help with some odd thought patterns that get you to restart after all that effort in trying to quit - you either want to quit, or you don't - can't have both unfortunately.

All about YOU and your thoughts - can't blame anyone else... :)

Sorry - teach me to not read the whole thread.

It is not something I would reccomend for a cyclist - there are effects on kidney function that are largely unstudied in endurance sorts (as well as a huge number of other side effects) - Given that I have been involved with 2 sets of kidney failure this year due to NSAID use by endurance cyclists, I am NOT in favour of anything that might precipitate this.

http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Why swap one drug for another? just suck it up and quit, or get a some head help to understand why you keep trying and giving up and restarting, and deal with that - it is your head that needs help with some odd thought patterns that get you to restart after all that effort in trying to quit - you either want to quit, or you don't - can't have both unfortunately.

All about YOU and your thoughts - can't blame anyone else... smile.png

Good info thanks!

Must say, I used it for 2 weeks then dropped it.

Haven't touched a cig or a pill since then. guess I'm just lucky.

Enjoying every single smoke I have. sad.png sad.png sad.png

I know, i know. Life however doesn't always play nice.

Determined to stop again...

Some assholes just can't stop can they!

I quit a week ago after reading this book. I was a smoker for 25 years, I have tried everything to stop. I honestly didn't think stopping could be this easy.

+1 but I attended the course. Started at 8.00am and finished at 2.00pm - never smoked again. Best decision I ever made.

You must want to stop!

Many a true word spoken in jest. smile.png

One of my mates got offerred a free smoke enders course by his company about 15 years ago (smoked about 80 a day) so he decided to go on the basis that he might want to stop some day and he should learn how to do it.

Hasn't smoked since.... but at least he can say he stopped smoking by accident - now he just drinks....

Edited by V12man

Jokes aside, go have a look at someone in hospital dying of lung cancer, wasting away and unable to breathe, it worked for me!

Jokes aside, go have a look at someone in hospital dying of lung cancer, wasting away and unable to breathe, it worked for me!

Just go hang out in any pulmonologists office reception room for 10 min - 2 people walking around on oxygen all the time should convince anyone that smoking is a seriously dumb idea.

Just go hang out in any pulmonologists office reception room for 10 min - 2 people walking around on oxygen all the time should convince anyone that smoking is a seriously dumb idea.

If only I listened to my old man when I was 18.

+1 but I attended the course. Started at 8.00am and finished at 2.00pm - never smoked again. Best decision I ever made.

You must want to stop!

What really helped me was when it hit home that you aren't giving anything up. In previous attempts to quit I always felt sorry for myself for giving up something that I thought I enjoyed doing.

As soon as I realised I was just an addict it was easy to toss the smokes away. Weird.