Whats the worst that can happen

Mada3400

I don't really know what to say but, anyway

I am very slow downhill, and i think the idea of this thread is to have a whole bunch of post telling me(and others) that falling is overrated and if do this e.g. ignore the small rocks, but don't watch for the big ones, watch for the line next to the big rock.

also please don't post dumb things, or if you do make sure to have it with some useful information

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mada, what kind of bike are you riding ? and where are you riding ? and where do you want to go faster ?

i got a giant vt 2, but i am trying to get hold of a teocali and then eventually a morewood ndiza, i ride in tokai and rhodes mem occasionally, i want to be faster around corners, learn how to do jumps and drop offs.

i got a giant vt 2, but i am trying to get hold of a teocali and then eventually a morewood ndiza, i ride in tokai and rhodes mem occasionally, i want to be faster around corners, learn how to do jumps and drop offs.

Mada, I can relate

I went to ride with some mates at Delvera, new to the cycling scene, new to clip in pedals. Even though I did a lot of riding on the road, clipping in on the trails are different. Anyway, my first outing I went over the handle bars and broke my collar bone. Have been struggling with confidence since. Still keen to learn all the MTB skills, but I am a cautious rider, which kills momentum, which as said earlier, momentum is your friend. :D

Too slow is more difficult... Momentum is your friend.

I agree 100%, the harder you pedal the easier you'll stay on your bike and go over obstacles (but the harder you'll fall [if you fall])

Can we rather get a video of some hubbers falling off their bikes. I especially like to have a really good laugh watching people falling off bridges and such into rivers and dams :lol: thorn bushes also seem somewhat of an attraction.

Can we get a list of DVD's or Books about the technical side of MTB

Best book ever - Mountain Biking Skills by Brian Lopez & Lee McCormack.

Plain language, and goes through everything you need to know & learn, step by step. Loads of pictures as well. Well worth the money, and I refer to it all the time.

I have both the 1st & 2nd edition of the book - I have to say I prefer v2, but then v1 is also VERY relevant.

Maybe try the course (learning, not track) that Sarah Muhl holds at Tokai? You can book through PPA.

Obviously its anecdotal evidence, but I have noticed a big correlation between someone's 'ball skills' in other sports (say cricket or soccer)and their ability to pick a line at speed and not come off.

If you are struggling to go any faster, it is because your self preservation instinct is telling you "If I go any faster I am going to crash" - the sad truth is that your self preservation instinct probably knows better than another hubber telling you to go "Balls to the wall".

Maybe the trick is not to go faster but to be happy with your current speed.

Either that, or just go faster and see what happens - collarbones can be fixed, wrists fused, skin grafted back onto your face - come on, don't be a sissy!

What works best is to relax! When one tenses up you tend to be too "stiff" and the downhill feels much worse than it is...

...you mean like... this

post-10758-0-24711300-1319630522.jpg

...if you can find one (they're more rare than shark poop)... get it! seriously! I've heard somewhere that they only ever made 200 of them over their 4yrs of production. Most were exported to Europe for the 4X scene there. Dunno how true that is, but I know mine is the only one I've seen up in real life. It's the best bike I've ever owned!

...not to mention... it's a fantastic bike to learn to jump on. I learnt to jump on my Izimu DH bike, which had tons of forgiveness... but it's like trying to fly a couch. My first day on the Ndiza I nearly killed myself. It just wanted to get airborne! Seriously, one has to supress the sucker or you'll go into orbit! But not to worry, cos it still has the element of forgiveness (unlike regular jump bikes).

So yeah, if you find an Ndiza for sale... don't hesitate! get it! And don't post info about it on here until you've bought it, cos there are hubbers that will do almost anything to get their hands on one. (Omega Man once offered me a hot weekend with his tall blonde wife, for mine :lol: )

As for a little more advice on the jumpng and drops... maybe give this thread a gander.

Edited by patches