New Absa Cape Epic Logo

DJR

New Cape Epic Logo  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Now you know why the guys are paying 5k extra.

It looks very much like a stale corporate emblem that you iron on t-shirts. It does not evoke any passion or enables you to identify with the cyclist taking on the challenge.Man against terrain.

This definately is not invoke by the chainrings it looks more like the wheels on mineshafts.

What Kevin is basically saying is that what started out as challenge for cyclist is now secondary to the brand which has more inherent value than the actual race participants. So expect to pay even more next year since he aint gonna share any increased revenue from the brand.

Here cape town is the design city and you put out such a crappy logo.

Our mountain is being voted (plz go vote) for one of the new 7wonders and you wont even make the outline accross the word Cape thus connecting yourself with this.

i wonder how much they got paid for this R1mil?

i am sure they could have come up with something a bit better

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'll be having that tattoo removed then...

Not adding the new one then, I presume? :D

The new one has zero identity. Boring.

Not sure why change. Maybe somebody bought into the company for 10 gizillion? Or maybe mr Vermaak sold out? Or fell on his head? Who knows.

Wonder if the London Olympics logo was designed by the same 5year old that spewed the new Epic logo out?

.......the London Olympics logo was designed by the same 5year old ........

Is that REALLY the London Olympics logo? Not just a sick Hubber joke?

post-17716-0-40830100-1319885945.jpg

Edited by DJR

Is that REALLY the London Olympics logo? Not just a sick Hubber joke?

Yes, can you believe it? Who decides on these things?

It amazes me how these agencies are getting paid big bucks to build a brand and then they outsource to a 3 year old to actually do the work. Anyone seen the new Alexander Forbes logo (my link). Wonder how much the agency got paid to do that :)

I'm with you on that one Mr P - the bigger agencies charge mega-loot for logo design and illustration.

I'm in the industry and there are horror stories out there! :o

I'm with you on that one Mr P - the bigger agencies charge mega-loot for logo design and illustration.

I'm in the industry and there are horror stories out there! :o

I have to go with the guy that said ..Hondnaai! If it aint broke why fix it :angry:

Sorry, don't like the new one: nothing positive, reminds me of 'Modern Times' (Charlie Chaplin movie on the perils of automation). Beside they don't even look like bike chain rings, which mostly are pretty minimalist nowadaze. And the drive train is not one cog turning another! Anyway the chain rings are just one 'cog' in the machine that is a cyclist on a mtb. Where's' the human element?

No doubt the 'Re-branding' budget came in a few mil. That's the kind of money that flows around in this industry.

But that what the Epic has become, a big brand, for which you pay your dues dearly for any association. And loads of PR types strutting their stuff. I would not be surprised if most of their office staff are marketing people.

http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phil/forum/moderntimes.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

• 3 months later...

CAUTION !!!

Absa Cape Epic Logo Usage

We are flattered that many of you want to use our logo on your cycling kit and your personal websites, but have to advise that both our logo and the race name (Cape Epic) are registered trademarks. The usage of these is exclusively reserved for our official event sponsors and we therefore request that you refrain from using the Absa Cape Epic logo.

I trust that you understand.

Kind regards,

Tandy-Lee De Villiers

Rider & Race Services

Absa Cape Epic

CAUTION !!!

Absa Cape Epic Logo Usage

We are flattered that many of you want to use our logo on your cycling kit and your personal websites, but have to advise that both our logo and the race name (Cape Epic) are registered trademarks. The usage of these is exclusively reserved for our official event sponsors and we therefore request that you refrain from using the Absa Cape Epic logo.

I trust that you understand.

Kind regards,

Tandy-Lee De Villiers

Rider & Race Services

Absa Cape Epic

I don't think anyone wants to use it, it is ***. That's what I got from this thread anyway.

As someone who runs a design agency and admires and respects Jupiter's work (for the most part), I don't doubt that this logo (given the high profile nature of the brand) went through an exhaustive process, including focus groups and many many many drafts and was entrusted to their most senior creatives. Saying that though, their brief must have been very restrictive with a tight deadline (nothing new there) because the end result doesn't inspire anything in me. The Cape Epic is the toughest event on the calendar and one of the toughest globally and the new logo ultimately fails in it's ability to inspire and make me dream. It's OK. It's nice. It does the job.

I'm not saying the old one was better, (it was too detailed and inflexible for the range of disciplines it was used on) but it did have that certain African edginess about it, the ability to challenge me and say "this is a tough event, are you sure you're up to it?" The new logo says: "Hello this is a corporate event and I work well on anything from banners to champagne glasses." It says nothing to me about the physical and emotional challenges of the race.

Someone compared it to the Dakar Rally logo earlier and that is a brilliant comparison, the Dakar Rally says everything that the Epic logo does not. It's simple, flexible and evokes the tough uncompromising nature of the event.

It could be worse though, it could be like the London Olympics logo. :) Thankfully we only have a few more months of enduring that one.

• 1 month later...

I have to apologize for my much earlier comment regarding the logo.

I have warmed up to it quite a bit, it looks good on some kit.