New Absa Cape Epic Logo

DJR

New Cape Epic Logo  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Hmmmm....I guess we should be proud that a SA business (because lets face it, the Epic has become big business) is doing so well, but part of me feels that they should be very careful not to forget their roots.

I guess they have latter part covered with the "The Magical + Untamed African MTB Race" tagline.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So good or bad the logo and the name of the race has been over discussed on this forum. Every single mountain biker in this country who has seen it has had something to say about it. Be it if they liked it or not. The logo change worked in my opinion. As already said many times, after a few months it will be neither here nor there. It will be accepted as the race is what determins it. It appears the race is going global and they all come to my province to ride it. It brings in lots of $$ and creates employment. Good job.

Edited by Top Fuel

I guess they have latter part covered with the "The Magical + Untamed African MTB Race" tagline.

Sadly with the way the entry fee is increasing ever year, pretty soon no local will be able to enter. And how "African" is the race then? Just because it's staged in Africa, but with no locals competing? Nah. Bring on the Pioneer, JHBtoC, etc.

I like it...even if it's only because my Zula's value hopefully increased a few bob with the old epic sticker still on it...

or it's worth a whole lot less because we now know that you abused it for 8 days, and let some schoolkid spray it down with a high pressure hose.

Ah, off to Vida for an hour or two, to pretend I'm actually doing some conceptualising ...

rubbish, i'm looking out my window and the place is empty.

The new logo looks ***. Then again I wasnt to mad about the old one when you look at it it looks like a Chinaman (thats not very African) riding the bike because of the the yellow background behind his head.:lol:

didn't want to start a whole new thread, as the switch from Adidas to Craft has already been mentioned here, let's go:

company ethos

The individual philosophies of the founders of the Absa Cape Epic were the foundation for the Magical and Untamed African Mountain Bike Race. On 11 March 2003, the Absa Cape Epic was awarded Proudly South African status.

1. blah blah
  2. We will endeavour to source all products, services, and human resources for the Absa Cape Epic in South Africa, to stimulate general economic activity and to support local job creation.

Craft sponsorship

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder and director of the Absa Cape Epic: “Our vision is to create the world's premier mountain bike race in which every serious amateur mountain biker desires to participate, and every professional mountain biker aspires to win. Craft is known for their premium cycling gear, so is the perfect partner to our event.

Linder continues: “Not only will Craft be available in South Africa for the first time, it will also supply the Absa Cape Epic with clothing for its crew, as well as branded duffle bags, hoodies, and entry and finisher t-shirts for all participants. Craft will further supply custom apparel for all the associate sponsor teams in next year’s race.

Of course who am I to question this business decision? Could have been made for purely financial or brand strengthening reasons. The fact that they are facilitating an entry to an already competitive local market would probably go against the grain of their ethos. Oh well, it's only on the site, no need to actually follow it.

The old logo was k@k, the new one says nothing to me about MTBing nor South Africa. It's just too bland for international exposure.

I think that the change should have evolved as with the way most brands and logo's evolve over time. IMHO the loss of the "zebra stripes" in both the logo and on the jersey's has caused a loss of identity. Lets hope this becomes the GAP of SA and Mr Vermaak goes back to the drawing board.....

The new leaders jersey looks terrible. Craft might be good technical wear but I think that they have got the design wrong. Imagine the Polka Dot jersey changing in the TDF because a new sponsor comes on board???

I run brand and design agency in CT and when I first saw the new logo I thought that the organisers had bought a file off one of the many sites that sell generic logos. To be honest it does look like a very generic bike shop logo and despite the explanation by JDR it doesn't seem to have captured the brand heritage or created a strong identity for the future.

Unfortunately the concept seems to have been to choose a icon that will be able to be built into the brand and supported by the other elements. The problem is that the icon chosen was the most obvious (next to a wheel) and has completely missed the unique nature of the event. I'd say this is more a corporate design for an events / holding company that puts on the Cape Epic rather that a logo for a major race.

I wonder what the brief was though and what the other options were. I can honestly think of 5 concepts that would seem better suited but at the end of the day there was a brief and maybe this ticked all the boxes... Does look like it'll age pretty quickly let alone go 8 years.

I haven't read this post yet, but here is a copy of my mail to the Epic Media people:

"The new logo is really really bad, I suggest if feel you have to change use the old one until you find a proper a logo that embodies the spirit of the Epic and mountain biking. The first bad marketing move in 10 + years of the Epic.

It is un-sexy to the extreme. It is dead, too mechanical, no spirit or feeling, it looks like a cross between an engineering firm's logo and the logo of the International Atomic Energy Board.

It is not too late to rectify this mistake.

Kind Regards"