65km at the Cradle

W@nna-BE

hey hubbers,

question for the experienced hubbers :)

in prepation for my first 94.7 ( i am a virgin hahahahahahaa), last week i did 67km in 2h33 at the Craddle.

in the experts opinion am i doing ok?

i am hoping for a sub 4h30 97.7

thanks

!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the above - you are doing 30km less than the race distance, that extra 30 u do on race day will take its toll. Depending on your current fitness and conditioning and see no reason why you cant do a sub 4:30 but you will have ur work cut out having not done that distance before even in training

thank you , i did 77km this past sat, but i messed my timer/watch so i am not sure of the time but was going at about the same pace, i turned back to redo some of the hills, its become habit now, i love that climb from the traffic circle to the T-junction :)

if you like climbs you gonna LOVE suikerbosrand , the loop through the reserve is fantastic.

in prepation for my first 94.7 ( i am a virgin hahahahahahaa), last week i did 67km in 2h33 at the Craddle.

You prepared wrong. You needed to do the actual race distance at least once. Probably more than once.

You will probably take more than 5hours for the 94.7.

You prepared wrong. You needed to do the actual race distance at least once. Probably more than once.

i agree , not much i can do about it now i guess

2:30 for the first 67km, 30min to recover after hitting the wall, 2hrs for the remaining 28km?

i agree , not much i can do about it now i guess

I suppose it depends on how you felt once you finished the 67km round the Cradle. If you were broken, the last 30km of a race will be pretty tough. If not, you could probably manage them quite easily in 2hrs.

If you want to ride it against the clock then you first need to be able to ride it at all. If you can not do the distance, you will suffer. No point in racing the for 67km and then not being able to finish it.

What the guys are saying is true , you need to go ride that distance , if you plan on doing 4h30 you need to be training and getting use to that kind of time in the saddle.to do a 100km race you cant only do 60km rides you must go do some 100km rides too.

I think your preparation is fine and you should manage it! (I would say you may even manage closer to 4hrs). My 94.7 average speed has always been higher than what I manage on a 60km loop around the cradle, but then I do generally try harder in a race :P . Best of luck for it, and enjoy, that's the most important thing!

hey hubbers,

question for the experienced hubbers :)

in the experts opinion am i doing ok?

i am hoping for a sub 4h30 97.7

thanks

!!

Unless your are completely poked after your cradle rides I think you will be able to break 4 hours... Logic - you are averaging over 26kph on roughly similar terrain to what you will encounter. If you do the same in the race up to 67km, and then average only 20kpm on the last 30km's, you will do a 4h03...

2:30 for the first 67km, 30min to recover after hitting the wall, 2hrs for the remaining 28km?

That 94.7 is a tough route. If you hammer at the limit for 60 odd kays, and get broken, the back 9 will destroy you. Remember, that route gets harder, not easier.

And yes, when you start walking you take a long time.

Hi Dracs,

i feel pretty strong after the craddle rides, i have not only done 65 odd km's because i am tired, but its more an issue with time as i need to get home, i unfortunately do not have the luxury of having a whole saturday morning to cycle :(

i do believe i have what it takes to push through the 100km

i would love to break 4 hours :) :)

I'm no roady but I bet you will beat 4hr. Riding in a bunch and race time adrenaline makes a massive difference. Just don't kill yourself over the 1st 50km and you will surprise yourself. Enjoy!

PS: Never listen to TNT.