MTB Specific: What make of tyre

Supervan

I run two geax saguaros tnt's (tnt version) at the mo, gives the best of everything...but not light <_<

I also rate the conti mountain king & race king combo UST versions, very nice set but once again...not light

Edited by rouxtjie

I run two geax saguaro tnt's at the mo, gives the best of everything...but not light <_<

Awesome. may I have my tyres back?

Awesome. may I have my tyres back?

No, I am saving them for the 94.7, they form an essential part of my "12 weeks to your best 94.7 time ever" because it takes 2 weeks to get them on and off the rims. Seriaaas though, I can see myself having to cut them off when the time comes. Then you can have them ;)

Edited by rouxtjie

For various reasons I've been using my boet's Kenda Karma's. I'm seriously getting to like them. Aggressive tyres, but very fast rolling considering.

My normal setup is Maxxis Mono-rail front, Crossmark rear. Like it a lot.

But I may just be Karma'ing it from now on.

Thanks,

Puncture resistance?

Yes extremely but run them tubeless. Sidewalls are very tough and that is the main issue with very light tyres(Schwalbe racing ralph evo as an example...not the snakeskin one).

Continental race king 2.2 rear and x king 2.2 front

Despite buying the "protection" versions and running them tubeless, i am in my mielies!

Good grip, excellent roll, and holes seal within seconds. Oh yeah, the sealant i use is Sludge, good old Stan is not from africa :)

For various reasons I've been using my boet's Kenda Karma's. I'm seriously getting to like them. Aggressive tyres, but very fast rolling considering.

My normal setup is Maxxis Mono-rail front, Crossmark rear. Like it a lot.

But I may just be Karma'ing it from now on.

I also run the Maxxis combo which I think is great but also like the Kenda`s, but don`t they recommend running no sealant whatsoever as this will invalidate their warranty.

What is your idea of all terrain?

Maybe...

Where do you ride?

What do you ride?

What type of riding do you do?

What tires do you currently have on your bike?

I also run the Maxxis combo which I think is great but also like the Kenda`s, but don`t they recommend running no sealant whatsoever as this will invalidate their warranty.

Man - the old sealant conundrum.

The reason I'm using my brother's Karmas is because my Monorail delaminated. Maxxis specifically say on the tyre packaging that latex based sealants will invalidate their warranty (what warranty, anyone ever tried taking a tyre back!?). I didn't (to the best of my knowledge) use latex based sealants - but they still delaminated. I put the tyre on just before Sani2C, so it didn't even last 6 months. I'd not ridden much since Sani2C either.

So, if I'm going to use tyres that delaminate at some stage, it doesn't make much difference to me whether they are Maxxis or Kenda.

However, Kenda have come up with a range of SCT (sealant compatible tyres) tyres that is long over due. However, last time I looked, the only SCT tyre I recognised was the Smallblock 8 (can't be too bad - Burry won races on them). Asked a Cajees last time I was there if they had SCT tyres and they just looked blank. Maybe we need to do a CRC order.

Edited by davetapson

after a rather unfortunate incident with a loffel brick, my rear wheel, a spectacular dismount and a resulting snakebite (ust)

i also fitted a kenda karma, i am really liking the grip. compared to the race king its got a lot more rolling resistance (how do you measure this - it feels more resistant - but how do i know for sure?)

when i change my front next month (currently mountainking) i will probably move the karma to the front, and then get a x king for the back.

relevance to your question: not much

me gooi-ing my opinion on an open forum: priceless.

I run two geax saguaros tnt's (tnt version) at the mo, gives the best of everything...but not light <_< I also rate the conti mountain king & race king combo UST versions, very nice set but once again...not light

I'm running a Geax combo at the moment. AKA TNT at the front. Saguaro TNT at the back. (both 26x2.2, and running them choobliss). I'm loving it! Low rolling risistance. Plenty of grip (that AKA rails the corners. The Saguaro obediently follows). The TNT's also have pretty thick side walls, which is a must for me.

So yeah, that's my recommendation. AKA front. Saguaro Back

Hijack...

@Patches...I might also consider the barro mountain upfront next time. The only bad thing about them is getting them on or off the rim. I normally put an evening aside for the job, buy a cheap bottle of brandy and a liter coke, and hope for the best, demmit

Continental race kings UST F&R . not light but ride well and bomb proof.

I fitted new Kenda small block eights for the Isuzu 3 towers a few weeks back and on day 1 got 6 punchers ( thats more that i have had in total on my road bike and mtb in the last 5 years ! ) took them off that night and fitted my used Race kings and did the last two days worry free.