Cricket......

E1A104

T20 might not be cricket, which i kind of agree with, but the stadiums are always PACKED at IPL. We have not seen that here in SA since the Benson and Hedges days. We all too comfy in our couches to get to the ground which is sad

It was provincial cricket then, and the teams had identities. Franchises are just clubs with funny names and without identities. Both rugby and cricket thought that the English football model would work here but it certainly does not work for me. As an example, who are the Eagles and where are they located? Unless you know what sport, you cannot answer.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T20 might not be cricket, which i kind of agree with, but the stadiums are always PACKED at IPL. We have not seen that here in SA since the Benson and Hedges days. We all too comfy in our couches to get to the ground which is sad

Cricket in India is a religion, they would pack any stadium to watch any type of cricket. Players like AB, Steyn and faf have a bigger fan base than what they have locally. We really cannot compare their support to ours. 

I wish they would not call this t20 cr@p cricket.

It may share some of the laws of cricket, but watching every ball trying to be hit to the leg side is not nice to watch.

Never really watched it. I can't stand T20 cricket. I'll watch it if I'm bored... But it's just not........ Cricket

Oupa?! Is that you?! And why do you have two accounts?!

• 2 weeks later...

not always actually, i think they've added too many games.

incidentally, it seems it's impossible to watch any sort of highlights on the internet of the games..anyone can post actual youtube clips of AB's 90 off 39 for me here?!

edit: duh. just try the ipl website

https://www.iplt20.com/video/124136/m19-rcb-vs-dd-match-highlights?tagNames=indian-premier-league&references=CRICKET_TEAM:9

Edited by Shebeen

incidentally, it seems it's impossible to watch any sort of highlights on the internet of the games..anyone can post actual youtube clips of AB's 90 off 39 for me here?!

https://www.iplt20.com/video/124136/m19-rcb-vs-dd-match-highlights?tagNames=indian-premier-league&references=CRICKET_TEAM:9

holycrap, looks like AB is at the golf driving range.

Fair comment, but to me a packed stadium is over 70%. Most are more than that (well the games I have watched). As for freaks teeing off from the 10th, it seems to keep the crowds coming which is always good. In my youth ......... i was still cr#p.

PS any cricket is good cricket. But my wife might disagree.......

if t20 isnt bad enough...i surprised there has been no mention here of the ECB proposal for a 100 ball match...ludicorus

if t20 isnt bad enough...i surprised there has been no mention here of the ECB proposal for a 100 ball match...ludicorus

What, as opposed to a 120-ball match?

Personally, I'd be in favour of scrapping ODI's completely, and teams playing a mini-test of 2x20 Overs Innings instead. Bonked out in the first dig, have a go at it again the second time 'round. Blasted everyone across the park? Now do it twice. I'd watch that.

Edit:

The controversial plans, announced last week, will see teams contest 100-balls-a-side games featuring 15 six-ball overs and one ten-ball over. It also emerged the ECB was considering abandoning lbw dismissals for the format and potentially allowing more than one bowler to deliver the ten-ball over.

WTF?

Edited by bertusras

Personally, I'd be in favour of scrapping ODI's completely, and teams playing a mini-test of 2x20 Overs Innings instead. Bonked out in the first dig, have a go at it again the second time 'round. Blasted everyone across the park? Now do it twice. I'd watch that.

my ex next door neighbour says the exact same thing

I'm not against T20 per se...just opposed to the fact that it is indirectly detracting from test cricket.

I ztill think you get more thrilling finishes with ODI and from that perspective i would never look at scrapping them

I ztill think you get more thrilling finishes with ODI and from that perspective i would never look at scrapping them

Sometimes, but what happens if you are 60/5 in the 10th over? Then there is not much of a game left. Having two split innings would (maybe) give a second chance to a solid collapse, and then SA might win some silverware, ya'know...

well at least they are thinking about trying something new. Far too many T20 leagues around now already, which is what CSA just found out when they tried to relaunch into a diluted pool.

I've had an idea for a while that they've got it backwards.

The thrilling part of limited overs is a close finish. Let's compare two 50 over games.

Game 1:

Team A scores 320/6

Team B gets off to a flyer in the chase and is 220/2 after 35 overs. They knock it around for the last hour and even with a late scare end up winning 321/7 with 14 balls to spare.

Game 2:

Team C has nightmare start, and is 42/4 after 15 overs. They crawl to 192 all out.

Team D are looking good at 90/3, but then a middle order collapse sees them 120/7. The lower order rallies and they sneak over with 1 wicket left in the final over.

It's easy to see that a close game is much better than one with lots of runs/wickets. What made the 438 game so amazing was that it had both. if we ended up 380 all out, we'd hardly remember it.

I think they need to look at what puts on a close game, and force the format to produce more.

You do this with points that you pick up along the innings depending on how many runs/wickets you're at. The points are backended so they count loads near the death. therefore after 45 overs, the chasing team might be 20 points behind, but a huge bludgeon finish can sneak them in.

Edit:

WTF?

i was about to blast you for suggesting to scrap ODI's and replacing it completely with T20's. Then i continued reading and that actually sounds interesting, my wife can join me during the second innings, everyone wins.