Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks to IPL, im not surprised to be honest.

I am...I would have thought he would have given the world cup a go next year.

Yup.. Came to post that... Guess he'll never get that world cup medal

Exactly, I thought that was his main goal. 

Unless he thinks it is a waste of time, because there is no way he can see SA winning the WC next year.

Well now all I want is for them to win it and shove it in his face.

I'm at odds here..I get the need for playing IPL and getting the bucks to support you after you retire.... Bit your country should be your number one priority. He's not old and he's at his prime.

Are there politics going on we are not aware of?

I'm at odds here..I get the need for playing IPL and getting the bucks to support you after you retire.... Bit your country should be your number one priority. He's not old and he's at his prime.

I think guys like us can easily talk about the pride of playing for your country, etc etc, but when you are confronted with that kind of money it will be hard to say no (assuming you are, like me, not an international sports person guy).

AB received R22 mil for only this years IPL, the tyre company that sponsors his bat paid him something like R28 mil for 3 years, a sponsorship he surely only got because of his exposure in the IPL. I mean, come on... 

According to Google AB's net worth is around $20 million. 

Edit: Politics? Oh yeah, my first thought as well, but I know less than nothing about the inner workings of cricket and the politics there.

Edited by HDW

Eish Stretch . AB been an absolute legend for us for ages and given his all . Why not respect the lad’s decision to retire and give credit for what he’s achieved. Life not that complicated.

It’s not his civic duty to tree aan for the World Cup ad for ever .

I say thanks for the memories AB , you’ve always made us proud and all the very best to you brother

Players that retire early often have recurring injury setbacks or personal demons unbeknownst to the public.

A clear-cut announcement from Abraham is best for CSA.

What a player. ????

Eish Stretch . AB been an absolute legend for us for ages and given his all . Why not respect the lad’s decision to retire and give credit for what he’s achieved. Life not that complicated.

It’s not his civic duty to tree aan for the World Cup ad for ever .

I say thanks for the memories AB , you’ve always made us proud and all the very best to you brother

Was a little bit tongue in cheek... But he's been quite open about desiring that medal. I don't get why he wouldn't wait 1 year and play in the world cup.. Hell... There isn't one person in this country that would care if he didn't play one match till then... But still plays in the world cup

AB = legend.

A lot of sportsmen suffer burnout - how long till his performance declines if he does not enjoy playing?

International players live in hotels for longer than rugby players - it must be hard on families.

Im sure AB has enough money to retire - I dont think greed motivated his descision.

What a loss to world cricket.. AB, you'll be sorely missed!

As for his reasons. Rob Houwing wrote a piece on this, saying that a little piece of AB died at the last world cup when politics interfered and demanded Philander play instead of Morris (I think?). Just the other day AB told everyone he's back and enjoying his cricket again.. One IPL and he does a 360 degree turnaround (like only he can!). 

I think he's just gatvol of politics in SA cricket. He's not getting any younger, has had plenty injuries and want to coin it bigtime before he retires permanently. Who can blame the oke? 

AB = legend.

A lot of sportsmen suffer burnout - how long till his performance declines if he does not enjoy playing?

International players live in hotels for longer than rugby players - it must be hard on families.

Im sure AB has enough money to retire - I dont think greed motivated his descision.

He probably does have enough. But when is enough enough? It's like the SA rugby players. They own a sh*t load of money in SA, drive sponsored vehicles, get Puma/Adidas/Nike clothes and shoes for free, live in mansions and so on, but it's never enough. Once the pound come knocking then none of them say no thank you I earn enough here in SA

Speculating here, but if you listen to the interview and the bit about all for country made we wonder if he has been given an ultimatum by the powers that be that he has to play all formats or nothing?

He copped a lot of critque for picking and choosing when and what format he wants to play. So ja, it probably had an influence on his thinking. Then it also doesn't help that we're playing only minnow teams for the next year or two. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, whoopdeedoo.... Perhaps a game or 2 against Zim in between for good measure..