Cricket......

E1A104

A fair point.

The night watchman seems to be holding up.

I always wonder what a night watchman's brief is for the next day? Go out and errr ummm make some runs?

Not only that...how often does the night watchman survive?Seldom ever...or at least with us

I would put in my solid batsman who I want to be there in the morning

Smith is still a good fighter and quality batsman tho and invariably if he comes good we win.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair point.

The night watchman seems to be holding up.

I always wonder what a night watchman's brief is for the next day? Go out and errr ummm make some runs?

I would suggest to him to try and stick around for 10 overs or so. Keep it tight and don't throw your wicket away. If he can face up for 45 minutes or so, morning movement would be much less and batsmen 5, 6 and 7 has a much better chance of scoring some good runs. Time is our friend in this game, so we should try not to loose more than 2 wickets in the morning session. That should put us ahead by at least 100 or so. With only 4 or 5 down we should then try and bat out the day to be about 250 ahead by close of play tomorrow.

interesting......I wouldn't call myself a biff hater.....I just don't like him...but the stats speak for themeslves...from cricinfo

To all those Biff Haters out there. Stats don't lie. Please proceed to the exit with foot still in mouth. Graeme Smith (8630*) surpasses Matthew Hayden' 8625 runs as opener in Tests, only Gavaskar (9607) has more runs as opener in test history.

Not only that...how often does the night watchman survive?Seldom ever...or at least with us

I would put in my solid batsman who I want to be there in the morning

Smith is still a good fighter and quality batsman tho and invariably if he comes good we win.

makes sense that he actually wastes time just going out there. even if he does go out, next batsmen has way less to face.

The other issue is that plenty of really good batsmen are bad at making a start, relative to their actual average. If they go in at the end of the day and survive, they still have to start all over again. Two chances for a nervous wicket.

Smith is definitely admired more outside our borders. He was a bit of a chop when he first got onto the scene, but then again who wasn’t full of k@k at age 22? Plus he got to bone minki before everyone else. We will miss him big time once he’s gone.

Almost feels like a third day already, if the rest of the batting can knuckle down we can really play them out of the game today. We bat really deep, with vern coming in at 9.

Problem is, Pakistan only need to draw the game to win the series so they will be happy for us to score slowly.

We can afford to build slowly, because it is only session 1 on day 2. Make the Pakis fry in the sun a bit. If we could build up a 250 run lead by middle tomorrow it will likely not be necessary to bat again.

Lets see what the next new ball and extra reviews bringfor Pak.

Edited by Christie

A solid looking 50 for AB after being dropped on 0 and surviving a very confident LBW shout early on. Lets see if he can make Pakistan pay for that dropped chance!

Steyntjie lasted for 39 balls.

Good job.

134/4

Smith still there anchoring at 69

Pakistan looks fired up this morning.

Hindsight is great hey! With only the night watchman losing his wicket after about 45 minutes into the morning session and AB getting a second and third life with a dropped catch and a poor umpiring decision we are in the pound seats right now.

AB is enjoying this new ball. it's been shared between irfan and babar the spinner

47 runs off the first six overs of it.

naaaice!