Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashes:

Hard to say how impressive Australia is.

Or how terrible England is.

Facing the nr 1 Test unit in the world will be a yardstick.

Michael Clarke: i told those three at the beginning of the series " they are the best attack in the world, and they've proved it" (or something to that effect) i don't think Nathan Lyons was impressed. lets see how they fare against batsmen who put a premium on their test wicket.

Since it’s probably better to EASE into the work vibe, AND we should actually be having DAY 5 of the SA vs India test match at Newlands right now. It’s time for a pop quiz.

All questions are from one game, the famous 438 at Wanderers in 2006.

Don’t cheat with google(cricinfo). I’ll give you the team sheets to help.

Aus:Gilchrist, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Symonds, Lee, Martyn, M Clarke, Bracken, S Clark, Lewis

SA: Smith, Dippenaar, Gibbs, de Villiers, Kallis, Boucher, Kemp, Van der Watt, Telemachus, Hall, Ntini

1)South Africa used 7 bowlers that day – who had the best economy rate?

2)Who took the most wickets for SA?

3)Who took five wickets for Australia?

4)13 wickets fell that day, Boeta Dippenaar was bowled for 1(off 7)..what type of dismissal accounted for the other 12?

5)26 sixes were hit that day – who hit the most(9)?

6)7 runs were required off the last over with 2 wickets in hand..who got out?

7)Who was the man of the match?

8)The match was the fifth in a series of five – what was the overall result?

9)The ODI series was followed immediately by a 3 test series, what was the result of that?

10)What other major sporting event took place in SA that day?

Since it’s probably better to EASE into the work vibe, AND we should actually be having DAY 5 of the SA vs India test match at Newlands right now. It’s time for a pop quiz.

All questions are from one game, the famous 438 at Wanderers in 2006.

Don’t cheat with google(cricinfo). I’ll give you the team sheets to help.

Aus:Gilchrist, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Symonds, Lee, Martyn, M Clarke, Bracken, S Clark, Lewis

SA: Smith, Dippenaar, Gibbs, de Villiers, Kallis, Boucher, Kemp, Van der Watt, Telemachus, Hall, Ntini

1)South Africa used 7 bowlers that day – who had the best economy rate? I think it was Ntini

2)Who took the most wickets for SA? Telemachus

3)Who took five wickets for Australia? Symonds

4)13 wickets fell that day, Boeta Dippenaar was bowled for 1(off 7)..what type of dismissal accounted for the other 12? Catches win matches

5)26 sixes were hit that day – who hit the most(9)? Guessing Gibs or Ponting

6)7 runs were required off the last over with 2 wickets in hand..who got out? Hall went out playing a retarded shot and think just before that was Telemachus. Boucher and Ntini saw us home

7)Who was the man of the match? Gibbs

8)The match was the fifth in a series of five – what was the overall result? 3-2 South Africa we won the first 2 ODI's lost the next 2 and of course we won the last one

9)The ODI series was followed immediately by a 3 test series, what was the result of that? South Africa won the test series 2-1

10)What other major sporting event took place in SA that day? Can't remember

Damn I was at this game and thought I knew a lot about the game until I had to answer these questions.

Damn I was at this game and thought I knew a lot about the game until I had to answer these questions.

not bad, 4.5 out of 10.

must have been one helluva experience actually being there!

not bad, 4.5 out of 10.

must have been one helluva experience actually being there!

I count 5.5 out of 10 :thumbdown:

Was the best day of my life, I still get goose bumps when I think of the 20 000 strong crowd cheering when Boucher hit the winning shot.

The crowd also cheered like that when Ntini made the single off the ball before to level the game

what else was on that day....I distinctly remember switching channels....I want to say golf...but there is no golf tournament then

As for the day...We were down the n coast due to leave that day. After the first innings hammering we packed up and left and listened on the radio...AND THEN my wife decides to stop at the pavillion to do some shopping. Listened to all of gibbs innings on the radio and managed to make it home to catch the final ten overs!

what else was on that day....I distinctly remember switching channels....I want to say golf...but there is no golf tournament then

As for the day...We were down the n coast due to leave that day. After the first innings hammering we packed up and left and listened on the radio...AND THEN my wife decides to stop at the pavillion to do some shopping. Listened to all of gibbs innings on the radio and managed to make it home to catch the final ten overs!

When Dippenaar was bowled I wanted to leave the stadium I would of hated myself If I had left

I have a feeling there was a soccer game on that day

Edited by Mr Winter

If I tell you where I watched it, then I give the answer to #10 away easily.

I think Boeta getting out early probably helped us, he was never an 8.5 an over type of player...

I count 5.5 out of 10 :thumbdown:

Was the best day of my life, I still get goose bumps when I think of the 20 000 strong crowd cheering when Boucher hit the winning shot.

The crowd also cheered like that when Ntini made the single off the ball before to level the game

ok, 4 correct, 2 answers half right.

Looked it up during the 1st India test run chase. Johann van der Watt almost pulled it out the fire last night at Newlands, he’s one of those ‘almost’ guys who probably would have played 150games for new Zealand. At this game his 35 off 16 with three sixes really pulled us back in. Interestingly AB did very little on the day(but more than Michael Clarke - who didn't even bat).

since it's now raining, time for answers

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/238200.html

1)South Africa used 7 bowlers that day – who had the best economy rate?

Graeme Smith, bowled four overs for 29 – anything under 8 was good on the day….. on the other end of the scale Kallis got moered for 70 from 6 overs. Mick Lewis’ 0 for 113 is probably still the most expensive return ever.

2)Who took the most wickets for SA?

Roger Telemachus took 2 of the 4 Aus wickets to fall. Check the entry for Ponting’s dismissal

47.4 drives in the air to deep cover, good catch, ends the best ever innings in ODI's, without doubt!!!! 407/4

3)Who took five wickets for Australia?

Nathan Bracken took 5 for 67 off 10 overs with his left arm swing easily the best bowler.

4)13 wickets fell that day, Boeta Dippenaar was bowled for 1(off 7)..what type of dismissal accounted for the other 12?

Catches do indeed win matches. Plenty caught on boundaries (no dismissals by either keeper).

5)26 sixes were hit that day – who hit the most(9)?

Punter got 9, Gibbs followed with 7 of his own. They hit 13 and 21 fours respectively.

6)7 runs were required off the last over with 2 wickets in hand..who got out?

Andrew Hall batting at 10 (lots of bits and pieces players in this team) klapped a four and then got out the next ball. Bringing Makhaya in as the last man on strike with 2 to win, he levelled the scores with a dab down to third man off Brett Lee. Boucher hit the fifth ball for four to take it.

7)Who was the man of the match?

Trick Question. Ponting and Gibbs shared this award, and deservedly so. Scant consolation for Punter, 164 off 105 balls would win the game for your side 99.99999% of the time. Pollock who was injured for this final match got man of the series.

8)The match was the fifth in a series of five – what was the overall result?

3-2, it was a decider nogal! SA won the first two comfortably, lost the third by 24 runs and the fourth by a single wicket. Possibly the best bilateral series ever?

9)The ODI series was followed immediately by a 3 test series, what was the result of that?

SA could not carry the mental edge into the test arena. We got slotted 3-0. Stuart Clark made his test debut and took 20 wickets for the man of the series award(we were only pooping our pants over Warne in the post McGrath line up).

10)What other major sporting event took place in SA that day?

Second Saturday in March is fun ride world champs. I watched us getting dondered in the beer tent. Rode home and popped in to say howzit to mates on the way. Gibbs and Smith were going berserk and I stayed. Got home in the dark that night!

Andrew Hall batting at 10 (lots of bits and pieces players in this team)

oi! thats my cuzzin you tuning there!