Cricket......

E1A104

111/1 at lunch is a solid enough start. It seems like they picked a batting side that can bowl a bit as well. The plan would surely be to bat out days 1 and 2 and in doing that take the game away from Sri Lanka. Early days though.

I would like to see Faf do well at 3 and take the game away from Sri Lanka in the next session. We all know what he can do when SA is in trouble. Lets see what he is capable of when we have the initiative.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again the value of a certain Jacques Henry Kallis is underscored. It seems like the policy was to go for "safety first" to play the extra batsman.

Our openers are busy proving me wrong. Both Elgar and Petersen got starts. At least 1 of them must now convert this into a big score.

Will have to be Elgar. Petersen gone for 34.111/1 at lunch.

The pitch looks quite dead, from the bit I saw this morning. It looks like a strong team, but Im disapointed they did not pick two spinners. Philander has not done well on flat tracks, like one of the tests were played on in Aus. I hope Steyn and Morkel can find bowling form, they were below par in the ODIs. 3 pacers is a gamble on this pitch.

I think they count duminy as a second spinner!

still a bit early to tell, but probably a good toss to win - SL were talking up their quicks in the pre match too.

I think they count duminy as a second spinner!

still a bit early to tell, but probably a good toss to win - SL were talking up their quicks in the pre match too.

Elgar can turn his arm as well. I think the side has good balance, 3 seamers, attacking spinner, two decent part timers (plus Faf as well), back up wicket keeper, QDK could also cover as opening bat if there is an injury.

Elgar can turn his arm as well. I think the side has good balance, 3 seamers, attacking spinner, two decent part timers (plus Faf as well), back up wicket keeper, QDK could also cover as opening bat if there is an injury.

Flat track the way i have seen it play,

if they get stuck into any of our spinners we will have to go back to the seamers.

We should have been playing a spinner with proper holding capabilities.

Its time we start making our top 6 score runs and relying on a 7th so that we can have the option of an extra bowler on difficult pitches.

I dont like thinking of JPD as a second spinner, spinners wil have to bowl lots and lots. Imo his bowling is not of such quality that he would make it into the side as a bowler alone (which btw Kallis could). Can he be counted on to bowl 30 overs or more?

Perhaps the thinking is to look for reverse swing with the 3x faster bowlers.

Our position is looking quite solid for now. I like the batting strength a lot, Faf will fit well at 3, if he keeps his shot selection standards up, as he have done so far in his test career. I like QdK down the order, to come in and play a Gilchrist type role when their bowlers are tired, or a Faf like role if we get into trouble.

The 7 batsmen policy seems to be holding, but I see that as a conservative approach. 7 batters are great for a "dont lose often" strategy, but that depends strongly on 4 bowlers to get 20 wickets to win. I would like to see Piedt and Tahir play, if the pitch favours spin. Swann and Panesar out spun the Indian spinners on their last tour there, and contributed greatly to set up a series win for England.

Edited by Christie

100 up for Elgar. Where dem haters now?

Hopefully we can play them out the game here, and then see what our attack can do before it's a flat pitch. Maybe someone can steal morne's teddybear and he gets all woes and does a brett schultz on them.

194/1 at tea time. Thats another session won by SA. Scoring rate in this session was a mere 2.7 per over, but I think that our players have read the conditions well and that Sri Lanka is being "forced" into a defensive position early on to try and buy a wicket. The last session is going to be crucial. The much-feared reverse swing was well handled by Faf and Dean. It would be interesting to see if the new ball is going to be taken at 80 overs or not.

Important toss to win on those dry spin-friendly and deteriorating pitches

Fine century by Elgar. I underrated him and I favour him more and more.

First ever century by a SA opener in Sri Lanka - quite an achievement.

GO FLOWER POWER

four down now, 8 overs left in the day....De Kock comes in ahead of duminy to join AB. We've let this one slip a bit, was looking on course for 320 at one stage.

day ends on 268/5 - honours even in the end.

Dale and QDk at the crease, duminy to come in at 8.

day ends on 268/5 - honours even in the end.

Dale and QDk at the crease, duminy to come in at 8.

Gives good perspective on Elgar's innings. It pains me to say it but you were right about him. Although I still believe QDK to be the better talent.

Edited by JGR

Gives good perspective on Elgar's innings. It pains me to say it but you were right about him. Although I still believe QDK to be the better talent.

sometimes guts and determination is more important. Look at Bif, he was not first in the queue with talent, but will be remembered as one of the best opening bats the world has ever known. Now look at a guy like Cullinan... more talent than any of the young crop today (yes, AB included). He was to be our own Tendulkar, but somehow talent did not convert into consistently good results.

I must admit that a QdK excites me much more than an Elgar, but you need all types in a team to be successful.

sometimes guts and determination is more important. Look at Bif, he was not first in the queue with talent, but will be remembered as one of the best opening bats the world has ever known. Now look at a guy like Cullinan... more talent than any of the young crop today (yes, AB included). He was to be our own Tendulkar, but somehow talent did not convert into consistently good results.

I must admit that a QdK excites me much more than an Elgar, but you need all types in a team to be successful.

And im glad he showed it, he looked a little scared in his first few innings. I was referring to arguing with she-been about who should open. Agree on your point re Cullinan .. plus he is the biggest douche

Really funny comment on cricinfo

Kieran : "For someone with a test bowling average of 20, you'd think Philander would at least have the courtesy to be a walking wicket."

I don't think it was ever Elgar vs Qdk directly - but pretty cool they both got runs. If QDK plays his cards right and applies himself well, he could easily play 100+ tests - maybe even break some of bouchers impossible records. However I doubt it, I don't think in the next 10years(his playing window) the emphasis is going to be on test cricket as much as his worth in T20.

back to the game, think they'll be happy with 400 on the board after the mid innings whoopsie. JPD really has a knack of bringing runs out of the lower order - he must be the best guy to have at the non strikers.