Cricket......

E1A104

Match 6 – SA vs Australia at the SCG – 26th Feb 1992.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65123.html

Remember this is a long time ago, things were different back then:

a)the tournament was sponsored by a cigarette company

b)4 runs an over was decent, 5 was kicking it.

c)duckworth/lewis hadn’t started following cricket yet

Also remember that we had only JUST come back from isolation, india friendship tour was sep/oct 1991. And hadn’t really got our vibe in for this one day thing yet. I can remember the shock shock horror when Clive Rice and Jimmy cook were left out of the team, but my actual class teacher at school was there(yup, Big Mac taught phys ed, biology and phys ed at junior school).

So we were not really given a chance.

Uh mean look at that aussie team on home soil:marsh, boon, jones, border, Waugh, healy, mcdermott….we were giving ODI debuts to jonty, pringle and hansie just in this game.

We had a serious weapon. AD. He was so frikken fast, and so frikken wild. He took 3/34, but sprayed 5 wides. We got them all out for 170, which was below par, but not a trainsmash.

Then we smoked them. Current selector Hudders was first out at 74, and kirsie and Kepler took us all the way over the line for a monster 9 wicket win. Just to show how far into the distant past this is, Kepler got man of the match for his 81 not out(off 158 balls) Kepler would have been very crap at T20.

Needless to say the aussie team got roasted in the press...let's just say the world cup score is 1-0 to us at this stage.

meyrick was very much a party out the back guy

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/201500/201509.jpg

hard to miss this poster

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/120100/120111.jpg

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of world cups...If it wasn't for the rain interrupted game against England there is a good chance we could have won that Damn trophy then and there...I was in matric then...the whole school was piled into the hall and we watched the game on a big screen...the atmosphere of 800 odd boys watching a 1 day was incredible

Edited by Stretch

Talking of world cups...If it wasn't for the rain interrupted game against England there is a good chance we could have won that Damn trophy then and there...I was in matric then...the whole school was piled into the hall and we watched the game on a big screen...the atmosphere of 800 odd boys watching a 1 day was incredible

easy china...lots more to go till we get there. interestingly despite it being a fondly remembered memory, we lost a *** load of games on this tour!

Im at a loss for words how bad our bowling has been the last two T20's

Its hard bowling against a Gayleforce wind....

Agree tho it certainly wasn't at its best

Its hard bowling against a Gayleforce wind....

Agree tho it certainly wasn't at its best

got to remember this is our backup attack against the windies full strength team...not sure if morne and steyntjie would have done any better, but you just don't know

got to remember this is our backup attack against the windies full strength team...not sure if morne and steyntjie would have done any better, but you just don't know

Yep and probably they would have also suffered all tho maybe  / hopefully not as much.

Some of our back up team were just bowling to short or wide giving them windies room to swing

I would like to believe that with AB, QdK and Dale back we would have been able to pull it through. It was magnificent how Gale deconstructed and reduced our bowling attack. We will have to groom the youngsters if we are to remain the best bowling unit in world cricket after Dale, Morne and Vern move on.

I think Kyle Abbot woke up this morning and went WTF in the mirror. hopefully he takes something from the masterclass where he got handed his ass on a plate yesterday.

Shebeen's world cup round up - match 10 - SA vs NZ, eden park auckland 29 Feb 1992.

BOOM and back to reality it is. After mowing down the co-hosts and enjoying the media backlash that the local press took out on the aussies, we came thudding back down to earth by the other co-hosts. The unfacied new Zealand did a few things differently, they opened with a spinner(unheard of) and mark greatbatch slogged a fifty at greater than a run a ball during the fielding restrictions(unheard of).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65127.html

This was on a slow pitch in Auckland, yup Eden Park the rugby ground with weird boundaries. We won the toss but the pressure was on from the get-go. 29-3 down it was time to rebuild, and it was left to Peter Kirsten (not originally in the squad, came in for someone injured I think) to hold it together with Keeper rDave Richardson(batting #5, What the hell?). But it was a nightmare start. Wessels 3 off 18 balls, hudders, 1 off 16 balls, hansie 7 off 22!

Don’t think the 190 was too bad a total, but both openers got fifties in double quick time for a stand of 114 and it was a procession from there. They knocked it off with 15 overs to spare, and with 7 wickets in hand. A drubbing.

Not much excitement in the bowling figures, which is highlighted by the best return coming from Peter Kirsten, 1/22 off 7 overs. You know things are going squid when Kirsy leads the bowling attack, even Tertius Bosch didn’t even get 3 overs in. Snell got smashed.

I think they learnt a lot that day, a leap year day nogal!

man of the match marc greatbatch moers one more.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/120100/120123.jpg

I think Kyle Abbot woke up this morning and went WTF in the mirror. hopefully he takes something from the masterclass where he got handed his ass on a plate yesterday.

Bowling knee high full tosses....anyone with a bit of ball sense would have klapped him out of the park. Just not good enough at international level. Very disappointing. Maybe he just had a really bad day. 

Personally I think FAf and Ab and a whole other bunch including Hash need to do some serious upper body strength work. When you looked at Faf he was out on his feet from running too much. It worked up to a point. Chris gale stood there and klapped boundaries and 6 after 6 without all the running- just a thought

Personally I think FAf and Ab and a whole other bunch including Hash need to do some serious upper body strength work. When you looked at Faf he was out on his feet from running too much. It worked up to a point. Chris gale stood there and klapped boundaries and 6 after 6 without all the running- just a thought

he is a bit of special case though.....there are not many now or in the history of the game that comes close to what he can do in this form of the game....

Match 14 – SA vs Sri Lanka, Basin Reserve, Wellington -  2 March 1992

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65131.html

So they learnt a lot from the loss to NZ, and reacted immediately. Bit of a step response really, and it didn’t quite pay off. We got klapped by a Kiwi opener, so we move our slogger to the top of the order(the one and only, Adrian Kuiper). Didn’t work as he had probably never faced the new ball in his life and got 18 off 44, even slower than Kepler’s 40 off 94. The rest is a bit dismal, build a slow but solid platform, kirsy top scores again, jonty klaps a few in the middle but wickets come tumbling in the final third and we’re all out off the last ball for 195 (Donald run out, not for the last time).

After battling to get Dipak Patel away in the previous match, Omar Henry makes his debut. He becomes the first non white proteas cricketer. He was 40 at the time, and his career lasted all off 3 matches and one month. Donald mows them down at the top of the order and at 3/35 we’re looking pretty good. But fatboy ranatunga turns in a man of the match unbeaten 64 at almost a run a ball – and they canter over with one ball to spare. Sri Lanka were not that fancied then and the only other team they beat was Zim, but they sowed the seeds here for their 1996 winning team.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZTJHPixWhW8/TJ3-zGYiW4I/AAAAAAAAAB8/SHlJYG37kUs/s1600/arjuna-ranatunga.jpg

There’s no photo from the game, and only 3000 pitch up anyway. Team SA are now 1 win from 3, time to turn it all around!