benefits of a carbon fibre seatpost

cadenceblur

Regarding the bending of posts for damping:

A smaller diameter post will (27.2) will bend much more than a large (31.8) one.

I have had a look at the SAVE post (have not heard of it before). It looks as if it has been designed to flex more in the middle. My comments about it:

You need a lot of exposed seat post for it to work.

I don't believe the 40mm travel claim - the post would have to bend a lot to deflect 40mm in the vertical direction, I guess about 80 to 100mm horizontally.

I don't know enough about the design to calculate it, but this should be easy to check - clamp one end in a vise-grip 80mm above the bench, then stomp on the other end or hit it with a mallet till it touches the bench (best do it in the shop before purchase). I don't think the manufacturer would mind a "try before buy" :rolleyes:

Regarding the bending of posts for damping:

A smaller diameter post will (27.2) will bend much more than a large (31.8) one.

I have had a look at the SAVE post (have not heard of it before). It looks as if it has been designed to flex more in the middle. My comments about it:

You need a lot of exposed seat post for it to work.

I don't believe the 40mm travel claim - the post would have to bend a lot to deflect 40mm in the vertical direction, I guess about 80 to 100mm horizontally.

I don't know enough about the design to calculate it, but this should be easy to check - clamp one end in a vise-grip 80mm above the bench, then stomp on the other end or hit it with a mallet till it touches the bench (best do it in the shop before purchase). I don't think the manufacturer would mind a "try before buy" :rolleyes:

Link to review with the 40mm reference - http://chainwheel.com/products/new/item/cannondale-save-seatpost

I have two seatposts for my hardtail a KCNC Scandium and the Cannondale SAVE Carbon one as in the review above.

I have swopped between the two of them a couple of times and I am extremely impressed - it does what it claims to do, so well in fact that I am getting a little bit lazy in choosing my lines (always critical on a hardtail) as the seatpost really does help. I suppose the effect would not be so noticable on a FS bike but on hardtail it works.

Edited by nickc

Nickc, I'm sceptical of the 40mm travel, not about weather it feels different to a standard post.

Are you volunteering to do the vice-grip test for us with your post? ;)

hi

besides weight reduction , will a carbon fibre drastically improve one's ride from a comfort point of view due to its shock absorbing properties ?

are you putting it onto a 29er?

Nickc, I'm sceptical of the 40mm travel, not about weather it feels different to a standard post.

Are you volunteering to do the vice-grip test for us with your post? ;)

Yes no problem, err hang on, lets see, vice grip test = possible damage, possible damage = R`s, R`s I do not have, sorry changed my mind. :D

You will never feel the difference between the two. The only advantage of carbon is that it looks cool.

You will never feel the difference between the two.

You will when you take a drop-off and the silly carbon pole breaks off in your arse.

• 5 years later...

My alu hardtail has an alu seatpost 31.6mm

I put in a carbon seatpost FSA, 27.2mm, and used a plastic shim. That way it prevents merging of the alu frame and carbon seatpost.

The thinner diameter carbon seatpost definitely does absorb trail vibrations I find. Just my experience. I don't do heavy riding but am scared the seatpost can break so I do check it for stress marks and cracks and haven't found any. For now it seems to work. 

If carbon bikes come with carbon seatposts then they must be safe and reliable, or not?

Am actually thinking of taking off the carbon seatpost and putting on a dropper post which would make things interesting.

I have an aluminium Ritchey WCS seat post on one bike and a carbon version on another bike. Holding the two seat posts in each hand, I'd almost say the aluminium version was lighter than the carbon one. I don't notice any difference in comfort between the two while riding.

How easy do the seatposts break?? when you ride them on their limit with regards to length inside the frame??

Old thread I see but the advice below was not given and is timeless.....

Don't ride them on the limits of frame insertion. Those limits are for average weight riders on correctly sized frames. Heavy riders and those with long legs relative to total height put a LOT more stress on their posts.

The seatpost and frame can have different minimum insertion lengths so always compare the two and use the longer of the two measurements as your absolute minimum.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV