Good recovery drink/shake

zeepee

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. So a lot of research has been done and if you look at the fact that RBST hormone is not any longer given to the cows it does not matter, as from generation to generation the high hormone levels have carried across.

2. Abraham had goats in the desert NOT cows and there were no processed foods.

Not going to argue the benefits of soya, but:

1. How can this be possible? Unless you alter the genetics of a cow, it's not going to pass across generations. If this was true, then steroid using body builders' kids would also have raised steroid levels? Which doesn't happen.

2. Probably because only goats can survive in a desert - and camels. Not sure this is rational argument against cow milk?

Sportron is a good product as well.

Shh... Dont give away the best kept recovery and ride drink secret!! That stuff is like doping its so good

I spend quite a long time in the dairy industry when living abroad, its a fact, and especially in south africa, that the hormone levels in cows r extremely high. A cow can only be milked when its pregnant, they milk cows 365 days of the year, cows r not pregnant for that long. So a lot of research has been done and if you look at the fact that RBST hormone is not any longer given to the cows it does not matter, as from generation to generation the high hormone levels have carried across. If you look at a Woolworths Milk label as an example and this one I photographed, see below. Its a very interesting statement "Free from added RBST hormone" BUT they cannot say its totally free from the hormone. Bottom line cows milk today is shocking, and it was never meant for human consumption. Goats milk, soya or rice milk from a health perspective is far healthier. Looking at the alternatives, goats milk is best, rice milk is unfortunately processed, and can be fattening, soya is the next best alternative, but soya has quite a few advantages, especially if its an isolate. It contains all the essential and nonessential amino's, no other protein naturally contains this. Also science has shown that soya contains phytoestrogens, which bind naturally to the estrogen receptors in the body and its shown to decrease the risk of cancer. As I tell my clients natural is best, we were born to live off the land, Abraham had goats in the desert NOT cows and there were no processed foods. What most people r consuming today is really a health risk, and one should always go back to basics, to keep it as simple and natural as possible. So my proteins of choice are soya or albumen, but soya comes first, I dont take anything which is an animal derivative purely because I dont trust the source of it, and i have seen with my own eyes what goes on behind the scenes. Remember guys health first.

I think you are a bit confused about when mammels have milk . Cows , as all mammels ,start producing milk after they have given birth .They only stop producing milk about 2 months before they give birth again , or if you stop milking them for more than 3 days .Therefore it is quite possible to milk a cow for more than 365 days , and has nothing to do with hormones .

Edited by Milkman

A cow can only be milked when its pregnant, they milk cows 365 days of the year, cows r not pregnant for that long.

Really - surely you mean after it has calved (i.e. given birth)?

Not going to argue the benefits of soya, but:

1. How can this be possible? Unless you alter the genetics of a cow, it's not going to pass across generations. If this was true, then steroid using body builders' kids would also have raised steroid levels? Which doesn't happen.

2. Probably because only goats can survive in a desert - and camels. Not sure this is rational argument against cow milk?

Friend go and test a cow for hormones and see exactly what you will get is very high, i was a powerlifter around 20 yrs ago, i had friends who were world champ contenders and heavy on the hormone scene, 1 lost his son a few years later, anothers child fell seriously ill still not recovered believe me, the genetic changes and the damage is easily carried over, its no joke. Cows milk is not suitable for human consumption, and there is no cows milk in this country that does not have a high level of hormones in it. As I said a cow can ONLY produce milk when its pregnant, they milk cows the entire year, WHAT cow is pregnant the entire year, its called hormones. Believe it or not the scientific proof is everywhere, its also been shown that cow milk products ha a huge influence on breast cancer, again its not hearsay its fact.

Really - surely you mean after it has calved (i.e. given birth)?

Riaan some of these cows never have calves, they pump hormones in to the animal to assist in milk production. Ever wonder why a steroided body builder sometimes develops pronounced nipples and milk ;-). Unfortunately, its a huge money making business, and a lot of the time, the benefits of recovery, performance being able to do your best seems to blindly be put in front of peoples health, and we as consumers need to put our health before perceived benefits. I am not here to argue that milk protein does not assist in recovery, YES it does, but in my mind it is to the detriment of ones overall health.

I've been using Tapout for the last few months and I must say - never felt better.

They have a drink (Electrokick) for on the bike (with protein in it) that tastes awesome and has worked like a bomb!

After a heavy ride I take their Warrior Whey protein shake (chocolate flavour - tastes awesome!). I'm training for my second Ironman now and going from not using a recovery drink for my first IM to using Tapout now for my second, I cannot believe the difference. Legs feel fresher the next day after a heavy ride and I don't feel so sluggish during the day.

Here's a link for the Warrior Whey: http://www.get-revd.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132&Itemid=453

And the ElectroKick: http://www.get-revd.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135&Itemid=454

Really reasonably priced and Troy is really helpful with advice, etc.

cut cut cut

.... we were born to live off the land, Abraham had goats in the desert NOT cows and there were no processed foods. What most people r consuming today is really a health risk, and one should always go back to basics, to keep it as simple and natural as possible.

cut cut cut

I like this school of thought...so let me get this straight, we as human beings that have been evolving over millions of years as hunter/gatherers most recently and our diet should reflect that since our bodies are "designed" to use certain natural foods as energy(Seeds, nuts, marog, fruit and the odd rooibok or guinea fowl). So keeping it natural has the most benefit to us yes?

The question of animal protein vs vegetable protein is actually an interesting topic, the question I think that really needs to be asked is can a vegetable protein actually give you the same benefit as animal protein, surely the animal protein is better. Now don't get me wrong, as I am not a vegetarian, BUT the answer to the question is 1000% YES, and MORE.

In general, plant proteins have no cholesterol and fat (saturated fats) as opposed to animal sources. That’s why if you are going to compare a person who is taking his proteins from plants to the one who consumes proteins from animal sources; you would expect the latter to easily have diseases related to the heart and blood pressure. Plant proteins also have more Beta-carotene, dietary fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, folate, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium.

Animal proteins only have the upper hand on the number of amino acids present. Animal sources are said to be the best proteins because they have a complete set of amino acids. Although there is one plant protein (soy) that is complete. The next thing to understand is that its fine having a "more complete protein" HOWEVER everyone is overlooking one very important FACT.

What is the bioavailability of that protein, in other words how much of it can actually be absorbed and used. Its a fact that soya isolate is 100% digested where as whey is not 100% digested.

I found this discussion between soya and whey which is quite interesting perspective

, and it explains as well why many whey products have additional additives put into them.

Protein Concentrate vs. Protein Isolate

Most companies are selling whey protein concentrate (WPC) and saying that their product is whey protein isolate. Ion exchange protein really doesn't mean anything in terms of the quality of the protein powder as a whole! Any high quality, pure protein will be labeled an ISOLATE and this is what you MUST look for. A true ion-exchange process CAN yield a good isolate but it is not the only process available for getting a superior whey protein. An isolate will have very little fat and lactose and will be about 90% protein (the protein fractions are "isolated" from the rest of the material).

On the other hand, a WPC made through protein filtration is vastly inferior to an isolate with about 7% fat and lactose and only 75% protein (The actual protein in WPC is usually pretty good, but who wants to deal with all of the fat and lactose?) Interestingly, WPC costs less than half of what an isolate costs. Unfortunately, both products look and taste about the same so it becomes very hard to know what you have--you basically have to trust the manufacturer (supplement company) of the particular product.

Here's the picture--the industry through various articles in muscle magazines touts the benefits and characteristics of a whey protein ISOLATE and turns around and uses a CONCENTRATE. Tell me, who's the wiser? The supplement companies, that's who, and they're a whole lot richer to boot! Some manufacturers will put 98% WPC in their product and then put in 1% of a hydrolyzed product (remember this tastes horrible!) and 1% of an isolate. Then, they can legally claim all types of stuff on their label-- di and tri peptides, ion-exchange, blah, blah, blah!

What about the other available proteins--egg, casein, and soy? How do these compare? First, let me state that all of the above proteins are decent if processed correctly. Each will provide the body very efficiently with the protein that it "needs". I would definitely stay away from casein and egg white. Casein has been shown to have detrimental effects on a person's cholesterol profile and egg white protein tastes poorly, is expensive, and consists of about 10% carbohydrates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you say it, I know your response--"That's all wonderful, but what is the best protein for me, a bodybuilder/weightlifter?" If you were to use any ONE protein source then I would have to say that it's a toss up between a soy isolate and a whey ISOLATE (you know, the one that no one can buy.) WPC provides a good protein; however the accompanying fat and carbs is something you do not want. If I had a choice, I would pick a soy isolate. A soy isolate is inexpensive, has the highest score on the PCDAAS, is very soluble if instantized, is extremely bland (a good thing), IMPROVES kidney function (unlike any other protein), is anticarcinogenic, is anti-estrogenic, lowers LDL (bad) and raises HDL (good) cholesterol, IMPROVES THYROID FUNCTION, etc, etc--the list goes on and on. But best of all, unlike whey isolate, pure soy isolates exist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its a highly debatable subject and one where a protein manufacturer REALLY needs to be TRUSTED, in this country not a chance ;-)

The tables below r some interesting pointers on levels u would look for in a recovery drink.

Glutamine (per 100g)

Soy 10.5g

Milk Protein 8.8g

Whey 4.9g

This is why they add more glutamine into the whey mix its obvious, and of course not in its natural form.

Arginine (per 100g)

Soy 7.6g

Beef 6.3g

Egg 5.8g

Cassein 3.7g

Whey 2.9g

Again most whey proteins will have added arginine in it as well, what for if its in a non-natural form??

This debate can really go on for weeks guys, all I am trying to point out is when you buy something off the shelf, please understand VERY carefully what it is you are putting into your body, milk is probably less complicated than the tub on the shelf, but then again it has its own issues. Again health first, nothing is more important :-).

later

M

I like this school of thought...so let me get this straight, we as human beings that have been evolving over millions of years as hunter/gatherers most recently and our diet should reflect that since our bodies are "designed" to use certain natural foods as energy(Seeds, nuts, marog, fruit and the odd rooibok or guinea fowl). So keeping it natural has the most benefit to us yes?

of course the more natural you eat the better, definitely an impala has far more benefit than beef :-), the less processed, the more natural, the more you have as nature intended it to be, the better off you will be. I think as humans if we look at the food industry in general, we have created our own worst enemy in food, we have brought about terrible diseases, allergies, fatigue, emotional instability, diabetes, heart issues, and obesity, we only have ourselves to blame the food industry is one massive money making machine. In our stressed lives people look to take outs and fast foods, less time is spent in the kitchen and more time is spent on what people call the quick fix, society has lost touch with good wholesome health foods, and those that are trying to stick to it are looked down upon, the comment "u only live once u mind as well enjoy it" is a popular statement, but we are killing ourselves and our children, and I cannot but think that we should be wiser to play the percentages game properly, meaning, keep the higher % of your food choices in the healthy zone, and spoil once in a while, but really look after your engine its all you have thats actually worthwhile, and if you have children look after theirs as well :-).

I think you are a bit confused about when mammels have milk . Cows , as all mammels ,start producing milk after they have given birth .They only stop producing milk about 2 months before they give birth again , or if you stop milking them for more than 3 days .Therefore it is quite possible to milk a cow for more than 365 days , and has nothing to do with hormones .

Milkman I worked overseas on a farm dairy for 2 yrs, the cows never gave birth ;-) go figure :-),

Fresh blood, crickets, cicadas, frogs, hatchlings, lizards, green fruit (got to eat it before the monkeys / worms / birds get to it...), snakes, mice, rats, squirrels, eggs of various degrees of fertilisation / growth. Raw liver, derms, eyeballs.

Remember 'seeds' (maize / wheat / barley) did not exist in their modern form in the 'good old days' - they looked more like grass seed, and if anyone has tasted teff, which is pap made from grass seed (an Ethiopian staple like pap is here), you'll know it's not completely tasty. And is full of grit.

Careful when it comes to extrapolating backwards...

If you want to see what 'traditional' eating is all about, spend some time in properly rural areas, esp in places like Thailand. This month you eat this fruit. Next month you eat Cicada's (alive, they're tastier that way apparently and stop squeaking on the first crunch), next month it's this plant. The only constant in their diet is rice, and once again, modern rice is not what God planted on this earth when he started it 6000 yrs ago (apparently).

Edited by davetapson