Wine 2 Wales called off

Mackie

Conditions must have really been tough, but agreed, they should have had an alternative route worked out. ****, I hope the Sani doesn't get cancelled like that!

Or the epic for that matter?! Imagine the controversy!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is ridiculous - I have done Sabie X where you couldn't see 20M in front of you due to rain & mist -while riding down wet rocky steep decents...

And Trans Baviaans had a back up plan at short notice - so we rode another route, but at least we did it...

Not cool W2W :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

In the 2007 (or 2006?) Sabie X that I rode, the second day was shortened and the race called off as the one river crossing was impassible due to heavy rains...

<TROLL>

So now it's official:

MTBers are bigger woesies than roadies.

</TROLL>

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(you can guess which one I am)

As a hardened MTBiker I believe they made the correct decision. This morning as part of my DC training, I did the 4 passes 163km loop (Sir Lowy’s Pass, Viljoen's Pass,Franshoek Pass and Hells Hoogte Pass).The rains was relentless. Its was absolutely freezing out there with lots of snow on Franshoek Pass and the rest of the mountain range. My hands was dead and I had difficulty using the controls to change gears and brake.

The W2W is not just about the pro mtb racers and the back markers would have been placed at serious risk if the race did continue.

Also the conditions would have hampered any possible rescue operation if required and it would have been near impossible for the race organizers to get rescue personnel to the riders if required.

Without a doubt they made the correct decision.

Edited by rpedro

AMArider 100miler (think 2009?) comes to mind. Massive deluge overnight. It was forecast, it came and the race went on. Many complained that it should have been cancelled, quite a few never started. quite a different course but no one forced you to start the race.

It's quite a diplomatic press release. Was it river crossings, muddy routes or cold weather that compromised rider safety? I reckon give the riders the choice, but inform them of the dangers/conditions beforehand.

Edited by SteveCT

cancelled ... must of been a roadie decision..

Nope could not have been, WP Time Trial Champs continued as normal!

Bunch of pansy mtbikers!

Bunch of pansy mtbikers!

Ha, ha, sharp of you Tankman. :D

Apparently hermanus traffic was at the centre of the decision...not sure why though.

Anyhow, for the people who would have spent 7-8hours on the saddle, with the rain, mud and wetness, it would not have been enjoyable.

Disappointing they cancelled though, should've let the A group ride to fight for a winner.

Or anybody who wanted to go, understand the riders signed indemnity forms, they've already paid for the event, why not let them ride if they want to?

Bunch of pansy mtbikers!

That's hardcore! Those rocky descents and river crossings on the TT route must of been hectic in the rain...

In the 2007 (or 2006?) Sabie X that I rode, the second day was shortened and the race called off as the one river crossing was impassible due to heavy rains...

Yip 2007...

did 2008 and 2009...Poured down on Both :thumbdown:

That's hardcore! Those rocky descents and river crossings on the TT route must of been hectic in the rain...

Na bru, us roadies have had 29ers forever, rolls over rocks, rivers and mtbikers with ease :thumbup:

As a hardened MTBiker I believe they made the correct decision. This morning as part of my DC training, I did the 4 passes 163km loop (Sir Lowy’s Pass, Viljoen's Pass,Franshoek Pass and Hells Hoogte Pass).The rains was relentless. Its was absolutely freezing out there with lots of snow on Franshoek Pass and the rest of the mountain range. My hands was dead and I had difficulty using the controls to change gears and brake.

The W2W is not just about the pro mtb racers and the back markers would have been placed at serious risk if the race did continue.

Also the conditions would have hampered any possible rescue operation if required and it would have been near impossible for the race organizers to get rescue personnel to the riders if required.

Without a doubt they made the correct decision.

Yeah, safety first.

Ego second.

Good post, R P.