Drol

Garfield2010

You get them at every race. 3 Years ago at the Argus there was a group of 6 lady-riders that managed to jump across to our group. They were screaming and shouting at the rest of us about lines. Without looking around, one of the guys in the group said "R100 bucks say they ride for CycleLab". Needless to say, they were quite miffed with the accurate assessment from this guy and started to chirp him and the rest of the bunch about it.

Without a word we simply closed all the gaps and kept them at the back, with a few stronger riders falling back to block them off. Coming off Blue Rote, just before we turned onto Main Road the bunch accellerated, but the wall at the back waited 40 seconds or so before kicking to leave the 6 ladies in no-mans land. I had my massage and had time to put on a fresh shirt when I saw them crossing the line that day.

I figured out that day why you don't piss your fellow riders off.

Hee, Hee, yeah, I try not to get irritated at these big events by the wannabees who think by shouting and hollering at the back to pass they will get some sort of hero's welcome and a "please pass your majesty" well, I only pull over for beer so most are sadly disappointed when trying it on me. :)

Actually, last year I think, I had words with a few youngster's who were possibly doing a second round, I don't know, but they were hollering about "lines" and "passing" from way back, irritating everyone, so as they passed I cycled up to the noisiest one and whispered in his ear that if he hadn't quite noticed there are 25000 riders out on the road today, you are not that important and we would all appreciate it if you just quietened down and showed some respect. Then it was all "Jammer Oom", "Jammer Oom", - I said its no problem, but, just lose the "Oom" bit as well.! :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe.... not to generalise but why do most of them have snorre (and look like an Army-RSM) and ride bikes that cost 5 times more than mine?

It was not funny when Tom Selleck on his Pinnarello shouts "Hold your Line!!!!"

Other drolle you get are those who take short cuts, saw this one ou ballie (knee & arm pads fitted) jumping the fence in a nissan trailseeker race, why?

Ja and what is it with this new thing when drinking from your bottle? Why wave it around like a crazy man? Just keep straight and drink normally and continue...

You get them at every race. 3 Years ago at the Argus there was a group of 6 lady-riders that managed to jump across to our group. They were screaming and shouting at the rest of us about lines. Without looking around, one of the guys in the group said "R100 bucks say they ride for CycleLab". Needless to say, they were quite miffed with the accurate assessment from this guy and started to chirp him and the rest of the bunch about it.

I figured out that day why you don't piss your fellow riders off.

Probably Alexis Sacks....she is a irritation in any bunch.

At the Bouckaert Soenen beginning this year, the K group started with them....she stood next to me in her 'I' number going on about why slower (yes me and the other K) people start with them and how they done the DC in 8hours+ :unsure: which was like 4 months before the race....so we start...they don't do any work and bitch about lines, felt like switching her so she can shut up...and what do we do...we attack up the hill leaving them in the back...I was drinking a beer already when they only came in.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Probably Alexis Saacs....she is a irritation in any bunch.

At the Bouckaert Soenen beginning this year, the K group started with them....she stood next to me in her 'I' number going on about why slower (yes me and the other K) people start with them and how they done the DC in 8hours+ :unsure: which was like 4 months before the race....so we start...they don't do any work and bitch about lines, felt like switching her so she can shut up...and what do we do...we attack up the hill leaving them in the back...I was drinking a beer already when they only came in.

Haha sounds like there is a bit of a "gods gift to cycling" syndrome that a lot of people suffer from......

What was also quite interesting was that I saw not one Power Balance Band? Last year every cyclist was wearing two on average!!!

We should actually revisited thos older posts and ask some of the PBB-fanboys why they have stopped wearing the shrine that they swore by?

I think it comes with the Cycle Lab outfit...as every time people scream in a bunch they in the lab colors...

Edited by MTB_Roadie

I was one of those plebs starting from the back and have been for a couple of years. Every year I try to improve my time to get a better seeding for the next year....I do not yell or scream at the slower riders when trying to pass them on the right, but at times it can be so frustarting when it is a double lane road with no way to pass...coming down past the Zoo I almost nicked a lady riding on the right doing 20km/h and sitting on her brakes.

My point is that at times I can fully understand the frustration of some of the riders trying to pass by.

On a lighter note, that Violin lady should be a permanent fixture on the race, she just made that boring piece of road towards the N14 a pleasure!!!! Music was not to shabby either...

Thumbs up for one of the better 94.7 races in recent times! :thumbup:

We should actually revisited thos older posts and ask some of the PBB-fanboys why they have stopped wearing the shrine that they swore by?

I've been wanting to post someting along these lines recently.. Bet you couldn't find 5 hubbers now that will admit to wearing them..

I rode on my 29er pulling a Icecream bike and NOBODY looked for ****. See 29ers solve all problems he he!!!

I take exeption to Mr Garfield generalizing about "gruis" Snorre (BTW it is "grys", gruis is wat jy vreet as jy my grief gee!!!) and older people cycling. Older people are cyclists too. Not all of them are the same, there are a lot of youngsters also misbehaving. There are lot of misbehaving dumd@sses out there. People who threaten to "switch" others fall in the same category.

Haha sounds like there is a bit of a "gods gift to cycling" syndrome that a lot of people suffer from......

It's cos "drol" is just "lord" backwards... like the people themselves...