Bike Wash

Jeepdude

bike wash  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your bike yourself

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Do you take your bike to shop for a wash?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Do you support bike washes at races?

• yes
    • no

Hay Guys and girls, I`m very excited to see how many of you are using our Proudly SA products. One thing we must understand is Bike washing shouldnt be an art, it should be quick and painless. I have a few suggestions without creating a storm.

Wash your bike with Powasol (Dilute the product 3 : 1 with Water) Depending on how dirty obviously.

Wipe your bike dry with a Chamois (Powasol brand or which ever)

Apply the Powasol Liqui Polish, its a non silicone based polish. Spray on and leave to dry then wipe off the excess.

You can use B.L.C to clean you brake linings and discs.

Multilube for the hanger etc

Silicone spray before a muddy ride, stops mud from collecting on the frame etc

Guys thanks for the comments and we wish you all the best for the festive season.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I clean my mountain bike after every ride and will use a bike wash if I am at a trail centre and they have one.

I clean my road bikes every weekend. Sometimes every other weekend if it has been dry but I would still clean and lube the chainset.

I use sunlight dish soap and water. I used to use muckoff but sunlight seems to do the job just as well. I would never let anyone but me clean my road bikes. No one does as a good a job as me.

Hi There,

Just some advice, Dish wash is not an ideal product. Dish wash has Sulphonic Acid as an additive, yes in small quantities but it is not good for your bike or car. In time your pain work will fad and it will also create a build up on your frame which will become sticky. Just saying not a good idea. Also dont use degreasers (water or petroleum based) unless in a controlled enviroment on the chain and cassette for example. Streaking and corrosion will kick in, bearing will start to rust and jam up. Good luck out there hopefully see you at Holla some time soon.

Mr Min.

Just spray and wipe.

" no mess, no fuss"

Don't think it would work that good on a muddy mtb.

Yeah, and there would be no point either. Bikes need cleaning to keep them running smoothly, not to make them look cool...

I use Cleen Green on chain, cassete and chainrings, while the rest of the bike is washed with bio degradable car shampoo. After the wash, rinse with fresh water, wipe cassette and chain with a rag and let the rest drip dry overnight. Lube where necessary in the morning.

Edited by Stephan

I use Cleen Green on chain, cassete and chainrings, while the rest of the bike is washed with bio degradable car shampoo. After the wash, rinse with fresh water, wipe cassette and chain with a rag and let the rest drip dry overnight. Lube where necessary in the morning.

:thumbup:

I am indeed fortunate to own an anodised SC so its cleen green everything and rinse off.Hey Presto.Nothing sticks to anodising and it is as hard as hell so no chips

Use car shampoo, have a set of 5 different brushes, and use gleen green in chain cleaner thingy (undiluted), brush off, rinse off with hose (fine mist) after washing, dry with cloth, let dry in sun, mr Min on tyres (NOT THE THREAD) lube later in the day or next morning. Got my hands on some rubbing compound, will do a nice yearly polish over Dec

I wash my MTB after every ride using Cleen Green with various brushes. Works well and having the right brush makes it easier. Lube where required when dry.

Hi There,

Just some advice, Dish wash is not an ideal product. Dish wash has Sulphonic Acid as an additive, yes in small quantities but it is not good for your bike or car. In time your pain work will fad and it will also create a build up on your frame which will become sticky. Just saying not a good idea. Also dont use degreasers (water or petroleum based) unless in a controlled enviroment on the chain and cassette for example. Streaking and corrosion will kick in, bearing will start to rust and jam up. Good luck out there hopefully see you at Holla some time soon.

I recently bought Powasol and the first impression is that the stuff ROCKS! Cleaned my bike better than any previous time with no effort at all. Didn't even use a single brush. I am however worried that the Powasol spray bottle is marked as a 'degreaser', especially for the reasons you point out above. Is this stuff safe to spray all over?

I recently bought Powasol and the first impression is that the stuff ROCKS! Cleaned my bike better than any previous time with no effort at all. Didn't even use a single brush. I am however worried that the Powasol spray bottle is marked as a 'degreaser', especially for the reasons you point out above. Is this stuff safe to spray all over?

you can with confidence wash entire bike with it

I was going to ask about Cleen Green as I had not seen it mentioned. I tend to spray the mud off my bike, then give it a wash down with a solution of Cleen Green (pour some in a bucket with warm water so not a strong solution but enough to bubble) and then spray that off. For the dirtier parts I get out the scrubbing brush and the toothbrush and give it a scrub with some Cleen Green solution. I then spray it all again and then give it a wipe down to dry. Once dry the chain gets lubed. I was using "Purple Extreme" synthetic lube, as it was recommended to me by the LBS, but with all the rain in Durbs I found my chain going brown in spots even with application after every ride, so sprayed some Q20 on the chain only (heard from someone to avoid using it?) last time.

Anything I am doing wrong or missing out?

I have an outside shower so after every ride I shower with my bike! Sponge/brush the WHOLE bike with either dish washing soap or hand soap everywhere. Put it on the stand after turning it upside down and letting the excess water run off and then a quick dry with the T shirts handed out at races. I then use Diamondguard or Holts colour polish once it is dry. On top of this I give the bike wipe down with a silicone impregnated cloth. Toothbrush for the hard to get places. Clean the cables and rims with the same cloth afterwards 'cos dust/mud does not stick too easily to silicone. I wipe the forks with an oil impregnated cloth, especially around the seals. Every now and again (if I have the energy left) I remove the chain and brush it in an ice cream container with paraffin. Wipe dry and then lube with a wax based lube the following day Have done this for years and there is no problem.

I remove the chain and brush it in an ice cream container with paraffin. Wipe dry and then lube with a wax based lube the following day Have done this for years and there is no problem.

Try spraying your chain with mr Min. And wipe clean. Always did the scrubbing thing myself but this is way easier.

Try spraying your chain with mr Min. And wipe clean. Always did the scrubbing thing myself but this is way easier.

Hay Kerneels, try our Revive Turbo, its in a 400ml can. Simple to use. Spray on the chain for two ocilations, wait for a minute max and rinse off with water. You`ll kick yourself for all the time you`ve wasted stripping your chain. Lol Good luck cheers Klint

I have an outside shower so after every ride I shower with my bike! Sponge/brush the WHOLE bike with either dish washing soap or hand soap everywhere. Put it on the stand after turning it upside down and letting the excess water run off and then a quick dry with the T shirts handed out at races. I then use Diamondguard or Holts colour polish once it is dry. On top of this I give the bike wipe down with a silicone impregnated cloth. Toothbrush for the hard to get places. Clean the cables and rims with the same cloth afterwards 'cos dust/mud does not stick too easily to silicone. I wipe the forks with an oil impregnated cloth, especially around the seals. Every now and again (if I have the energy left) I remove the chain and brush it in an ice cream container with paraffin. Wipe dry and then lube with a wax based lube the following day Have done this for years and there is no problem.

Hay hay, we are both Dbn based. I think we should meet up. Bring your bike to the factory for a wash. Your eyes will water with excitement!! Lol

you can with confidence wash entire bike with it

That would be my fault, the 750ml sprayers when we first launched the product came out with a Label saying the number 1 degreaser. Before I realised "Degreaser" is a swear word. In actual fact Powasol is a soil dissolving agent NOT a DEGREASER. it contains NO caustic, Petroleums, etc We are 100% enviromentally friendly and safe to use for all applications. Try it on your car, you`ll be shocked!!