To "GU" or not to "GU"

smerds

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use energy gels .....?

• Yes
    • No

I use to take a number of energy gels during a race and then beginning of this year stopped using any of the energy gels and just drink my mix.

I have since complete a number of races including endurance events like the DC and don’t really feel like I’m at a disadvantage.

How many of you hubbers still believe in the super powers of the energy gels and how many of you ride without it?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the manufacturers learn to package it in a fashion that even the average moron can't fathom a way to adorn the countryside with them, then those little baggies can stay on the shelf.

I don't train or even race with them but always have one on me...just in case.

I take bandages...just in case.

1. They are crap refined sugar.

2. People are careless and litter everywhere.

Just bring a banana.

You should fall less... :rolleyes:

I replenish my supplies regularly.

I personally last used a bandage about 4 years ago.

Just can't remember when I came across a stationary cyclist that asked if I could help with a GU sachet ! Bandages. Yes!

I hate them! But let's be honest, in an emergency - they really work!

What's to hate dude?

You never found it soothing when mom put a bandage on your roastie?

You should see the grateful looks I have received from grown men and women who were weeping next to the trail. One bandage.....all better. :thumbup:

They REALLY DO work!

Edited by The Drongo

occasionally take one in the closing km's of mtb races but try to stick to fruit and home made goods where I know what goes into it. Have found gels to cause me to cramp in long distance events (4+ hours).

Generally don't work for me - maybe its the sugar rush but leaves me feeling awful (bonking?) perhaps they have their use, but I have learned to do without them

But the GU chews are good.

Edited by kosmonooit

GU is siff

GU chews are better in terms of taste but do nothing for me in terms of sustained energy

I find that 32gi works the best with proper food like baby potatoes or peanut butter and jam zaams

I'm a big fan!

I ride on water with a Whasp gel every 45 minutes. I use the wee gel bottles so no mess or fuss. I also chomp half a banana to make up my hourly kj needs.

o o o o OROS. + raisons

Never again am I taking that GU stuff OR redbull energy shots. My last argus almost killed me because of that sh.t. I was really tired and couldn't sleep that night because of all the caffeine

Drongo said it:

Until the manufacturers learn to package it in a fashion that even the average moron can't fathom a way to adorn the countryside with them, then those little baggies can stay on the shelf.

If you can't ride up the hill without that crap, then walk.