lightest 29er in SA?

ti guy

Lets see some pics after a few off road rides .Those Ax lightness wheels are farking light.That bike would cost about R120000.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Know of anything lighter?

I can probably bring it to under 7kg, but then I will have to sacrifice the XTR pedals for maybe Egg Beaters [don't like], the XTR chain for a Dura Ace chain and a XX cassette. The Tune saddle will we replaced by an AX Lightness next week, which will shave off another 38g.

Unfortunately you will have to stick to a MTB specific chain. The 10 speed is is temprementle. You cant use a Dura Ace chain on it.

Why this stupid obsession with weight? Sure....it's the lightest 29er in SA (....we'll post the medal! :clap: ), but it is definitely the most uncomfortable 29er in SA as well.

Get a top end suspension fork (new SID or Fox Terralogic) on that frame, as well as a proper saddle. Even if the bike weighs 9kg. It will be light for 29er, and you would enjoy the ride.

Come on hubbers.....ALWAYS KEEP IT REAL!

If youre so concerned about weight ( rather than comfort ) why dont you just become a roadie ffs.

Aren't XTR and Dura-ace chains the same?

I had an Dura-ace 10spd chain on my bike and it said on the chain xtr/dura-ace.

Maybe an older chain?

You can build a 26er with a suspension fork for less weight. Stock Cannondale Flash ultimate 26" is claimed at 7.6kg. Which of the 2 would be the better bike off road?

You can build a 26er with a suspension fork for less weight. Stock Cannondale Flash ultimate 26" is claimed at 7.6kg. Which of the 2 would be the better bike off road?

C'dale have stopped making a carbon flash 26er :(

Mine is at 8.4kg (normal wheels instead of carbon) and i'm sure its nicer than that, even if it is a kilo more.

:thumbup:

Why this stupid obsession with weight? Sure....it's the lightest 29er in SA (....we'll post the medal! :clap: ), but it is definitely the most uncomfortable 29er in SA as well.

Get a top end suspension fork (new SID or Fox Terralogic) on that frame, as well as a proper saddle. Even if the bike weighs 9kg. It will be light for 29er, and you would enjoy the ride.

Come on hubbers.....ALWAYS KEEP IT REAL!

Is this the lightest 29er in SA? 7.4kg, with Polar CS600X

you're so vain, i'll bet you think this thread is about you. Don't you? Don't you?

you're so vain, i'll bet you think this thread is about you. Don't you? Don't you?

Haha!

Ti Guy is in fact a pretty hardcore, well known rider. He's kicked many an ass over the years...

(If I have my facts straight from a post I saw elsewhere). An obvious amount of effort went into this bike, I reckon it's a pretty cool experiment!

Haha!

Ti Guy is in fact a pretty hardcore, well known rider. He's kicked many an ass over the years...

(If I have my facts straight from a post I saw elsewhere). An obvious amount of effort went into this bike, I reckon it's a pretty cool experiment!

Wow guys/girls, I have just read some quite interesting remarks - from "cool", "awesome", "not that light", "compare apples to apples" etc etc to "you're so vain". What has posting a light bike with the QUESTION MARK following "lightest 29er in SA" got to do with vanity? I found a nice 29er frame after doing some research on 29er frames [i was concerned about top tube length and wheel base], spec'd it with some cool parts and simply asked the question: is the the lightest 29er in SA?

Then there was someone who said that the weight is meaningless without a suspension fork fitted to the bike. I do not quite understand that ... By definition, the bike as posted is still a mountain bike - it just does not have a front suspension.

I like it that way and I enjoy riding it that way. In fact, I just came back from a 6hr ride in the mountains, riding jeep track, single track [Jonkershoek from top to bottom] and a couple of gnarly downhills. The bike is still in one piece, although I must confess that my arms are tired from the lack of suspension :)

I have a suspension fork and with that fork fitted to the bike, the weight is 8.1kg.

There was someone who remarked that I should inter alia put a proper saddle on the bike. FYI, that is a proper saddle - carried me through 5 Epics in fact. I have found over the years that a saddle is an extremely personal choice - that one seems to work for me ...

Once again, my intention was never to "show off"; it was merely to bring a nice bike to The Hub. Like it or not, it is a fine machine and not nearly costing R120 000 like someone remarked.

Aren't XTR and Dura-ace chains the same?

I had an Dura-ace 10spd chain on my bike and it said on the chain xtr/dura-ace.

Maybe an older chain?

On the 9-spd system they were the same, but when XTR became 10spd, it changed somewhat.

Awesome wheels. Saw a bike at the Ride the Rhino this year with ax Lightness handlebars, stem and seatpost. Firtst time I saw AX stuff and researched it a bit. Damn fine stuff but pricey.

a

Where did you get those wheels and what did they set you back if I may ask? You obviously know your stuff, did you compare the wheels with a ENVE wheelset? Can one use carbon wheels as everyday wheels?

The bike you saw at Ride the Rhino was mine :) You are right, the AX stuff is pretty expensive. I am the SA agent for AX and import the stuff. The wheels are around R17 000, depending on the exchange rate. They weigh1.115kg, without quick release.

I use the wheels for all my riding - in fact, I do not have any other mtb wheels.I also know that Willie Engelbrecht used to ride Tufo [carbon] wheels on his 26" bike all the time [when he was still riding 26" wheels]