MTB Tyre Choices

patches

anyone have any comment on these as a front tyre

MAXXIS MINION DHR II

basically im upgrading my wheels to 30mm internal and want some thing a bit more grippy than my ardent race ...which i will stick on rear

oh and dont want one that weighs a ton

According to the baby-faced assassin (moretrails / the other Abdrew at stoke) it's bloody brilliant as a front tyre.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone apart from Trek riders using the Bontrager tires? If not, why is it not really considered? 

MAXXIS MINION DHR II 

basically im upgrading my wheels to 30mm internal and want some thing a bit more grippy than my ardent race ...which i will stick on rear

Will your shock fit a 2.6 tyre..... ?

Will your shock fit a 2.6 tyre..... ?

actually im talking about either the 2.3 or 2.4 tyre and have a pike so sure it will fit. 

on evobikes they have a 2.3 ( but states REAR tyre ) and a 2.4 which is slightly heavier ...can i use either ???

Edited by Mawbs

actually im talking about either the 2.3 or 2.4 tyre and have a pike so sure it will fit.

on evobikes they have a 2.3 ( but states REAR tyre ) and a 2.4 which is slightly heavier ...can i use either ???

Yes. DHR = Down Hill Rear. The 2.4 is wider and will have better grip characteristics, but the 2.3 is also good. I'd go 2.4 for the front tho.

MAXXIS MINION DHR II

I've got them on the front of my Stumpy on 30mm internal width rims in 29x2.4 WT EXO version. I like it alot - will get one again when this one is kaput. It grips well, rolls fast, and and in EXO does not weigh too much.

PS definitely go for 2.4 WT version for a 30mm rim, front tyre. Gives a really nice profile.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Quick question: What is the minimum internal rim width the DHR II 2.4 WT will work on, or at least still be better than the 2.3? I think my rims are 24mm internal, and I'm assuming the 2.4 WT won't really work.

Quick question: What is the minimum internal rim width the DHR II 2.4 WT will work on, or at least still be better than the 2.3? I think my rims are 24mm internal, and I'm assuming the 2.4 WT won't really work.

Maxxis recons WT versions are for 30mm and wider rims. I wouldn't go for them on your rims, the 2.3 will have a better shape and deform less.

I’m running a 2.4 DHR II and a 2.5 DHF, both in WT and DD casings on 25mm ID rims and they work great. We’re talking mm’s here. The knob placement on the WT tyres have just been optimised for wider rims.

However, I wouldn’t push it by slapping them on 19mm rims or something like that.

It'll work fine, man. 

Maxxis recons WT versions are for 30mm and wider rims. I wouldn't go for them on your rims, the 2.3 will have a better shape and deform less.

"market share"

"catering to the niches"

FFS. We used to run 2.5" Minions on 22mm rims, and those were just fine. They're BETTER on 30mm rims, true, but that doesn't make em **** on narrower ones. 

"market share"

"catering to the niches"

FFS. We used to run 2.5" Minions on 22mm rims, and those were just fine. They're BETTER on 30mm rims, true, but that doesn't make em **** on narrower ones. 

Yeah, you can. I mean I use to run 2.5" rubber on 21mm rims back in the day, my wife's bike currently has a 2.4" tyre on 21mm rims, but purely from the way it looks and the profile of the tyres I stick to these general guidelines:

30mm rim width = >2.3" rubber

<25mm rim width = 2.3" rubber or less

Just my experience... not saying it won't work, I just won't do it.

I wouldnt mind giving the assegai a go. 

Recent review quote "We originally thought these tires were terrible at rolling. We’d like to amend that: the Maxxis Assegai tires are the slowest rolling tires we have used other than a full-on mud spike on a downhill bike."

I was thinking about this but a 1300gm DH cased tyre for one or 2 enduro's this year but  with those rolling characteristics it looks like I would be peddling down the 'dh' tracks locally.  Maybe a trail / enduro verson could be in the future using the key features?