MTB Tyre Choices

patches

A beautiful 2nd hand Pyga Stage with far too little travel for what I need want but it's just soooooo awesome.

Think the person who had this before me was some kind of XC monster, with the slammed stem and 36T 1x11 setup (I've since solved these two problems). I do feel sorry for the bike going as slowly as I do with it, but at least it looks good

Nice! :thumbup:

personally, I'd go for something a bit less hectic... Similar to Nobby Nics, Onza Barzo, etc. Maybe you can find Rekons or Forekasters?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! :thumbup:

personally, I'd go for something a bit less hectic... Similar to Nobby Nics, Onza Barzo, etc. Maybe you can find Rekons or Forekasters?

Also 100kg rider .Personally i like a nobby nick in front for grip and the Vittorio barzo front and Vittorio saguaro rear works for me .I am not a fan of a heavy tyre in front .2,35 width is enough if you have a wider rim like 25mm and more 

Probably the heaviest rider here. 115 when I have 15% body fat. Rode plenty tyres. Slashed plenty tyres. Snake bite even more.

For rear my future tyre will be the assegai 2.5 with DH casing. I find that the side walls on the rear get way to mushy even at 2.5bar when pushing through corner exits. Burped my aggressor 2.5 with thick foamo on melow descents like cobra/hoogies. The exo casing also hasn't impressed me. Sure its light. But 3 of my riding buddies have torn brand new aggressors exo casings to shreds with mundane trail riding in the last 2months. Mostly snake bites (through foamo and proper pressure). When plugging the side wall you can feel the toiletpaper it is made of. One of my more experienced buddies swears by schwalbe super gravity casing. And he rides about as ridiculous as one can down the rockiest stuff.

Front tyre. Meh. Very dependant on your cornering. Die muishond rides on an ikon up front most of the year but he simply weights himself perfectly around corners. I have a shorty 2.5 up front and it is OK. Ie it rides as well as I push it. Which isn't very far.

Flats are part of the sport but are super annoying. Would love to give a run flat system a go. For now. Heavy thick casings made of durable rubber. Oh ja. Spez seems to have their sh#t together. Those grid casings are really sturdy. And the new gripton compound ain't no hype. Go fondle some tyres next time you walk past one of their stores.

Dream tyre I'm waiting for... Onza citius 2.4 in 29er.

Edited by V18

Next back tyre is gonna be the Mary SG on the front when it's no longer good enough for front duty. Which will be soon. Sick and tired of saggy sidewalls and their floppiness.

My best tyre to date for the rear is a tie between the Slaughter GRID 2.6 (equiv to a 2.35 Mary in actual width) which has remarkably sturdy sidewalls for a "non DH" tyre, and what seem to be thin sidewalls, and the Citius in Freeride Casing. But so far there haven't been any issues with either. The citius is tougher, but seemingly more squirmy. For some reason.

I've taken my foamo out as it was just causing aliens in my tyre, and I prefer the feeling of a tough tyre rather than a lighter tyre with foamo, at the same weight.

Edited by Cptmayhem

Next back tyre is gonna be the Mary SG on the front when it's no longer good enough for front duty. Which will be soon. Sick and tired of saggy sidewalls and their floppiness.

My best tyre to date for the rear is a tie between the Slaughter GRID 2.6 (equiv to a 2.35 Mary in actual width) which has remarkably sturdy sidewalls for a "non DH" tyre, and what seem to be thin sidewalls, and the Citius in Freeride Casing. But so far there haven't been any issues with either. The citius is tougher, but seemingly more squirmy. For some reason.

I've taken my foamo out as it was just causing aliens in my tyre, and I prefer the feeling of a tough tyre rather than a lighter tyre with foamo, at the same weight.

The High Roller in the back of my bike is looking a little worn and tired, top contenders to replace it is looking like the slaughter or the aggressor.... Will make the call when the time is right.

The High Roller in the back of my bike is looking a little worn and tired, top contenders to replace it is looking like the slaughter or the aggressor.... Will make the call when the time is right.

or maybe move the dhf2 from the front to the rear and replace with a new dhf up front

i am going to need some new tyres shortly.I have always ridden maxiss crossmark tyres filled with stans with no problems.I see cwc advertising crossmarks for 399 , but when reading description i see there is a sidenote that they will not honour warranty if filled with stans(amonia?).Is this something new that has changed with newer crossmarks or have I just been lucky so far?.Any idea as to what problems i might expect if going the crossmark stans route?

i am going to need some new tyres shortly.I have always ridden maxiss crossmark tyres filled with stans with no problems.I see cwc advertising crossmarks for 399 , but when reading description i see there is a sidenote that they will not honour warranty if filled with stans(amonia?).Is this something new that has changed with newer crossmarks or have I just been lucky so far?.Any idea as to what problems i might expect if going the crossmark stans route?

Maxxis will not warranty it if anything goes wrong as apparently the ammonia causes the rubber to prematurely deteriorate and weaken. If you are set on Crossmarks I'd suggest using the Ryder sealant which also has little particles in. I've used Stans and the Ryder sealant is way better in my view, seals my better and faster.  

Sometimes they delaminate ,but this has happened to me with a Swalbe Tyre also 

So. Schoolfees this week. Not ashamed. I try some things. Knowing the risks. Tried continentals on special. Der baron project front. Der kaiser back. 29erx2.4 both. Look absolutely epic in the flesh. Especially the Der kaiser. The rubber compound feels super grippy and durable. Black chilli is no lie. It rolls and grips like it shouldn't. Zee Germans have something there. Aaaaand that's where the amazeballness ends. Kaiser mounted up scew from the start. Checked and rechecked and reinflated...casing/bead was wonky. Baron mounted up just fine. Unfortunately a sorry excuse for a 2.4. Like seeing etzebeth with size 7 feet.

Next day at meerendal (because I'm in a fitness and spin mindset) 2km in. Kaboom. Rear completely blown off rim. Didn't make too much of it. Must've been a poor seat. Redid it. 2bar. Accurate pressure check. Around first mild corner on wheatfields. Kaboom. Again. Took it back to the shop. Very helpful guy. Installed a new one. Right there. No questions asked. Kaboom. Sommer in the shop. Exchanged for a cross king. Not appropriate really for my riding. My feeling is the bead and casing tolerances are off. Should be OK with tubes. But this is 2018. Doing shuttle day tomorrow. Unfortunately not risking my biscuit on a dh track. Old tyres back on. I'll probably list them for cheap on le hub. (the non kaboom baron and crossking). I'm keen to give schwalbe MM a go as well as the new maxxis ass-guy. Dh rear. Exo front. (once it arrives.)

Weird. Been running various Contis on two different bikes for some time now with no issues. In my experience they require proper prep per Contis instructions a quite a lot of pressure to seat properly - 2.5 to 3 bar - and when they're on they're much harder to get off than any other tires I have used so far (Michies and Maxxus amongst them). I've never had a minutes drama with them once they're properly on.

Weird. Been running various Contis on two different bikes for some time now with no issues. In my experience they require proper prep per Contis instructions a quite a lot of pressure to seat properly - 2.5 to 3 bar - and when they're on they're much harder to get off than any other tires I have used so far (Michies and Maxxus amongst them). I've never had a minutes drama with them once they're properly on.

Good to know. I'll keep them then for oneday when I want to do a longer race/ride. Maybe when n+1 comes along.

Okay. Somewhere eise I posted on the prep required for new Contis. See if you can find the thread or ask me again via PM if necessary.

Incidentally, I pulled my one pair of Contis off Sat evening to put new sealant in. True to form, it was a bit of a struggle to at first break the seal and get the first bit of tyre over the rim lip. Cleaned out the old sealant and renewed it, put them on the compressor with 3 bar pressure and "bang, bang, bang", all properly seated and rode Sunday with no issues. They're a bit harder to prep and get off than other brands but very good tyres IMHO.

Only thing I don't like about conti tyres is the relatively low volume casing compared to other brands

Hm... not sure I'm on the same page...