MTB Tyre Choices

patches

He's right. Conti are very optimistic with their width ratings. Like Maxxis & Spaz. 

What exactly do you mean when you refer to a "width rating"? Do you mean how wide the tyre actually is relative to its stated width? I imagine that there are probably a number of different methods by which the width of a tyre may be determined and depending upon which method you use, you may end up with a different answer (?).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly do you mean when you refer to a "width rating"? Do you mean how wide the tyre actually is relative to its stated width? I imagine that there are probably a number of different methods by which the width of a tyre may be determined and depending upon which method you use, you may end up with a different answer (?).

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Calipers across the width of the casing @ operating pressure on a certain size rim = width of tyre. Not an MTB tyre pumped to 60PSI etc etc etc (as is the case with Maxxis, afaik)

Edited by Cptmayhem

So. Schoolfees this week. Not ashamed. I try some things. Knowing the risks. Tried continentals on special. Der baron project front. Der kaiser back. 29erx2.4 both. Look absolutely epic in the flesh. Especially the Der kaiser. The rubber compound feels super grippy and durable. Black chilli is no lie. It rolls and grips like it shouldn't. Zee Germans have something there. Aaaaand that's where the amazeballness ends. Kaiser mounted up scew from the start. Checked and rechecked and reinflated...casing/bead was wonky. Baron mounted up just fine. Unfortunately a sorry excuse for a 2.4. Like seeing etzebeth with size 7 feet.

Next day at meerendal (because I'm in a fitness and spin mindset) 2km in. Kaboom. Rear completely blown off rim. Didn't make too much of it. Must've been a poor seat. Redid it. 2bar. Accurate pressure check. Around first mild corner on wheatfields. Kaboom. Again. Took it back to the shop. Very helpful guy. Installed a new one. Right there. No questions asked. Kaboom. Sommer in the shop. Exchanged for a cross king. Not appropriate really for my riding. My feeling is the bead and casing tolerances are off. Should be OK with tubes. But this is 2018. Doing shuttle day tomorrow. Unfortunately not risking my biscuit on a dh track. Old tyres back on. I'll probably list them for cheap on le hub. (the non kaboom baron and crossking). I'm keen to give schwalbe MM a go as well as the new maxxis ass-guy. Dh rear. Exo front. (once it arrives.)

What rims are you running? I was looking at that offer and forgot to order. A bit glad I didn't now. 

What rims are you running? I was looking at that offer and forgot to order. A bit glad I didn't now.

Running e13 trs rims. Swap tyres regularly. Never have issues. My prep game is strong. But I suspect not strong enough. Pitty. The compound and grip of the der kaiser project was simply put... INSANE. When you pick up the tyre in its packaging you can tell this has potential. I'd say try it. On the rear first. Prep well. Hopefully you get a non-wonky casing. I'd buy again in a heartbeat if they sort the bead/casing/volume out. Zee Germans are after all uber alle.

Guest Ratchet road

For now... I'm drooling over the new Goodyear tyres coming out.

Same

So I'm in a bit of a connundrom, I'm looking for an aggressive 27.5 plus tyre for use on the front wheel.

My go to would be Specialized Butcher, but no-one is SA has stock and they do not know if there are any in the shipment arriving mid January.

Rush Sports do not bring in any of the Maxxis options (DHF, DHR2, High Roller), only Rekon which is okay for the rear wheel.

Trek have an option, but it is R1500 per tyre and not as aggressive as I would like.

Any other options out there?

Has to be 27.5"x2.8" and DH tread, does not have to be DH casing though.

Oh, and CRC not an option - after shipping and VAT it will work out close to 2k for a tyre.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

So I'm in a bit of a connundrom, I'm looking for an aggressive 27.5 plus tyre for use on the front wheel.

My go to would be Specialized Butcher, but no-one is SA has stock and they do not know if there are any in the shipment arriving mid January.

Rush Sports do not bring in any of the Maxxis options (DHF, DHR2, High Roller), only Rekon which is okay for the rear wheel.

Trek have an option, but it is R1500 per tyre and not as aggressive as I would like.

Import. No other option. The 2.8 butcher has a death-gap (transition between mid and side knobs) of NOTE.

The Maxxis minion DHF 2.8 is about as tall as a Mary 2.35 but noticeably wider. That's personally what I'd go for, but it isn't a true "plus" tyre in terms of how tall it is.

Edited by Cptmayhem

Import. No other option. The 2.8 butcher has a death-gap (transition between mid and side knobs) of NOTE.

The Maxxis minion DHF 2.8 is about as tall as a Mary 2.35 but noticeably wider. That's personally what I'd go for, but it isn't a true "plus" tyre in terms of how tall it is.

Eish, ja the import just works out really expensive. Close to 2k for a Minion DHF 2.8 from CRC after shipping and VAT. And that is my first choice....

I like that it's wide, but not too tall.

Run the 27plus in the rear. Get a 29" wheel for the front and put a 2.5" DHF on the front. Reduce fork travel by about 20mm. Thank me later, haha.

Run the 27plus in the rear. Get a 29" wheel for the front and put a 2.5" DHF on the front. Reduce fork travel by about 20mm. Thank me later, haha.

Nah... the plus wheels are an extra wheelset for my hardtail, already have a set of 29ers for it. I would like to keep it plus front and rear.

Eish, ja the import just works out really expensive. Close to 2k for a Minion DHF 2.8 from CRC after shipping and VAT. And that is my first choice....

I like that it's wide, but not too tall.

Einaaaaaaaa

Einaaaaaaaa

Ja, rough! Guess I am gonna have to either wait for someone visiting from overseas or Specialized's shipment in Jan and just hope there are some Butchers in there.

Success, Revolution Cycles in CT still had 2 Butchers on their shelf. The Minion DHF would've been first choice, but the price is just ridiculous once landed in SA. Specialized's price @ R880 for a plus tyre is hard to beat. Hopefully it holds up nicely.

Success, Revolution Cycles in CT still had 2 Butchers on their shelf. The Minion DHF would've been first choice, but the price is just ridiculous once landed in SA. Specialized's price @ R880 for a plus tyre is hard to beat. Hopefully it holds up nicely.

GRID or Control Casing?