MTB Tyre Choices

patches

So, I've decided to enter a 100km MTB ultra in the middle of Feb (smack bang in the middle of Belgian winter). I only have one bike - a 170mm enduro sled with Minions in DD casing back and front. Haven't really ridden it in 2018 (too busy running), but started training for the marathon and quickly realised that those tyres were not going to do me any favours over such a long distance.  

Did some research and bought a set of Rekons in 27.5X2.6. Very lekker trail tyres. The only drawback is that they're WT and really want a 30-35mm ID rim, whereas mine are only 25mm. They still work fine, but I have to up the pressure to prevent the sidewalls from squirming. Would strongly recommend them as a light trail tyre or a back tyre paired with a 2.6 DHR II for the 2.6 experience on wide® rims. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the DHRII vs DHF debate for the front. I just replaced my 2.4DHRII with a 2.5 DHF, amd to be honest I can't notice a difference at all. Maybe I'm just not close enough to the tyres limits. But my choice of tyre between the two will come down to availability when it comes time to buy again, nothing more...

Same side knobs, DHR2 just has a better transition as there's those offset mid-knobs, which the DHF doesn't have. 

Bos - of those I'd go with the DHR2 in 2.4WT guise, due to the better transition. I do not like the Ibex AT ALL (it slips all the time in my experience, and many other peoples' experiences, but you may get on with it better)

Another option would be the new Spaz Eliminator in GRID casing. It's their answer to the Assegai, and Thermophage is REALLY liking it. More than the Mary, in some areas (loose over hardpack & dusty dusty)

You can't go wrong with WT versions of the Minions or High Roller II in EXO casing. 

I was under the impression WT were for the over 30mm rims and standard 2.4s etc were the go to on 30mm ID. 

Alot of people seem to have had issues with Ibex but I've always liked them. They do get to a point where they look fine but will then start putting you on your arse and you think you're just riding *** but it's time to replace them. I liked the grip and the rolling resistance alot.

I have to say I really like a 2.6 Slaughter on 30mm rims out back in Grid casing (really want a black Diamond casing there) and from the few rides on the 2.6 Eliminator on the front (also Grid) it's really nice. Mid pack in terms of rolling resistance and could go faster but it's not a light tyre tbh. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Don't want to be a bummer, but I'm 99.9% certain you mounted the rear tyre the wrong way round.  [/size] :ph34r:

You are 99.9% incorrect.

Just double checked, and it's fitted as per the directional arrow on the tyre.

Infamous for making mistakes like these, I did do my utmost to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im specifically looking for a front since I got a Razor rock for the rear in Dec for a bargain at EVOBIKE. Not a bad tyre, rolls fast yet hooks up when needs to and pretty sturdy sidewalls. Although I have not spent to many days riding rockgardens.  In fact its very similar looking to the Slaughter..However Ill put money on the fact that you'll land on your face when hitting the frakes coming into a corner hot, that moment just before you lean her over..BANG! .. Not a front.

Regarding the IBEX's @Mayhem, how the heck do you get it to slip? I must be honnest, I have not been at the forfront of the Enduro scene but I know how to ride, and I am yet to fault it. In my opinion its solid and gets goodd reviews online. Which is why I thought of going slightly more DH but Im not looking at strapping another 1/4 kg to my bike when I'm not in need of much more. Im really just keen to try something different.

The Eliminator looks pretty good, also hefty though, a bit of a combo between the WTB Vigilante and the Trailboss.

This option seems OK..29 x 2.3", PSI 25-50, approximate weight 890g or the  2.6'' at 9.30g But its a bit of a jump from the 2.4 size on my rear.

mmm.. first world problems!!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im specifically looking for a front since I got a Razor rock for the rear in Dec for a bargain at EVOBIKE. Not a bad tyre, rolls fast yet hooks up when needs to and pretty sturdy sidewalls. Although I have not spent to many days riding rockgardens.  In fact its very similar looking to the Slaughter..However Ill put money on the fact that you'll land on your face when hitting the frakes coming into a corner hot, that moment just before you lean her over..BANG! .. Not a front.

Regarding the IBEX's @Mayhem, how the heck do you get it to slip? I must be honnest, I have not been at the forfront of the Enduro scene but I know how to ride, and I am yet to fault it. In my opinion its solid and gets goodd reviews online. Which is why I thought of going slightly more DH but Im not looking at strapping another 1/4 kg to my bike when I'm not in need of much more. Im really just keen to try something different.

The Eliminator looks pretty good, also hefty though, a bit of a combo between the WTB Vigilante and the Trailboss.

This option seems OK..29 x 2.3", PSI 25-50, approximate weight 890g or the  2.6'' at 9.30g But its a bit of a jump from the 2.4 size on my rear.

mmm.. first world problems!!

RR is a good tyre, but I preferred the Slaughter 2.6 grid, to be honest. As for straight-line braking, strangely it's not that much of an issue and it has decent traction when you slam the anchors. Not as much as a beefier tyre, and def not when it's muddy, but it's better than I thought it'd be. Definitely not a front tyre, you're right about that.

Re ibex - ROOTS. Or rocks. You're a better rider than me so you're probably floating over the stuff I roll over, and are able to use your skill to make up for the lack of grip on anything but dry and dusty or hardpack. I also tried the Citius, but that went straight to the back after about 2 rides on the front. Same problem. 

Re eliminator - VERY nice tyre, apparently (according to Thermophage who is also a fan of the contrarian wench, it's better than the Mary) Don't let the 2.6 put you off - it is about the same size as a 2.35 Magic Mary, and the Grid casing is nice. I think that one will be replacing the Mary on the front, when it's time to replace it. It's Spaz's answer to the Asseguy. 

Vigi - also a good tyre, from reports. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

For a good balance between grip and rolling resistance you could also try aggressor 2.5 up front with aggressor 2.3 rear. I ended up with this combo by chance and am very happy with it. Previous combo was dhf 2.35 front and aggressor 2.3 rear. New combo os better in every way.

For a good balance between grip and rolling resistance you could also try aggressor 2.5 up front with aggressor 2.3 rear. I ended up with this combo by chance and am very happy with it. Previous combo was dhf 2.35 front and aggressor 2.3 rear. New combo os better in every way.

Agressor better in every way over a DHF on the front? So in other words it grips better?

I rate the Aggressor very highly as a rear tyre, but on the front - not so much.

The aggressor 2.5 is a good looking tyre for sure. Completely different to the 2.3 in terms of knob height, knob spacing and general shape on the rim, but the same tread pattern. I'm not surprised you find it better than the 2.3 DHF, cos the 2.3 is super narrow compared to the 2.5 aggressor, and the aggressor has transition knobs whereas the DHF doesn't. The wider profile also means you can run it at lower pressures, which increases your grip levels. I personally wouldn't run it up front, but that's because I like ALL the grips, and ride in a very wide range of conditions & surfaces. 

Where it won't be better is in loamy or wet conditions. The DHF has better sized knobs which give you more outright grip, and will shed mud better than the aggressor 2.5. 

You should really try the 2.5WT DHF or 2.4WT  DHR. Or the Eliminator or Mary. :P

For reference: 2.5 Aggressor. 

Agressor-Tire-Review-2.jpg?v=1522696580

You are 99.9% incorrect.

Just double checked, and it's fitted as per the directional arrow on the tyre.

Infamous for making mistakes like these, I did do my utmost to make sure I do it right.

I am also really good at stuffing things like that up.

A few weeks back I changed from Conti’s to a Vittoria Barzo 2.35 in front and a Saguaro 2.2. in the back. I noticed that unlike the Barzo, which is unidirectional, the Saguaro can be fitted one way for 'speed' and one way for 'traction'… First time I’ve seen that!

The aggressor 2.5 is a good looking tyre for sure. Completely different to the 2.3 in terms of knob height, knob spacing and general shape on the rim, but the same tread pattern. I'm not surprised you find it better than the 2.3 DHF, cos the 2.3 is super narrow compared to the 2.5 aggressor, and the aggressor has transition knobs whereas the DHF doesn't. The wider profile also means you can run it at lower pressures, which increases your grip levels. I personally wouldn't run it up front, but that's because I like ALL the grips, and ride in a very wide range of conditions & surfaces.

Where it won't be better is in loamy or wet conditions. The DHF has better sized knobs which give you more outright grip, and will shed mud better than the aggressor 2.5.

You should really try the 2.5WT DHF or 2.4WT DHR. Or the Eliminator or Mary. :P

I had initially put on dhf 2.5 on the front in the DD casing and had the 2.5 aggressor on the back. I found the dhf in DD casing too heavy and too slow. So switched the aggressor to front and got a 2.3 for the back.

I'll probably go dhf 2.5 exo casing next for the front. Or even keep current combo. Works really well for me.

yeah, the DHF DD is a heavy tyre. I have the Mary Super Gravity at the front, which is also heavy, but OMG the grips!!! And I NEVER have to worry about snakebites (yes, you get them on tubeless too) or sidewall cuts. That casing is STRONG. Far stronger than the DD, that's for sure (real world testing, *** lines and all)

Agressor better in every way over a DHF on the front? So in other words it grips better?

I rate the Aggressor very highly as a rear tyre, but on the front - not so much.

MM.. We should all rotate wheels.. every week, like a book club :) 

I cant see the Aggressor being better for pure grip.. Then the Whole WC scene would be running it. It might however be a better compromise between rolling resistance and grip, which I am into. To me, its about the size and angle of the side knobs. I personally do not have much of a problem with  the gap between center knobs and side knobs because the side-knobs gets a chance to dig in. 

MM.. We should all rotate wheels.. every week, like a book club :)

I cant see the Aggressor being better for pure grip.. Then the Whole WC scene would be running it. It might however be a better compromise between rolling resistance and grip, which I am into. To me, its about the size and angle of the side knobs. I personally do not have much of a problem with  the gap between center knobs and side knobs because the side-knobs gets a chance to dig in. 

Agreed, except in the case of hardpack and in the transition phase. For rocky, rooty, loamy and all other things, no fecking way would I want an aggressor up front unless I was looking for an XC tyre. 

But.... he found it better than the 2.3 DHF, which IMO is not anywhere near as good as the 2.5, and the ability to run lower pressures on the 2.5 really would have helped in that situation. 

yeah, the DHF DD is a heavy tyre. I have the Mary Super Gravity at the front, which is also heavy, but OMG the grips!!! And I NEVER have to worry about snakebites (yes, you get them on tubeless too) or sidewall cuts. That casing is STRONG. Far stronger than the DD, that's for sure (real world testing, *** lines and all)

Yeah I find the DD tyres a bit overkill on the front unless you are seriously fast, have terrible line choice, ride amonst slate rock all the time, or are on a DH bike.. On the back I for sure see the benefit though.

Yeah I find the DD tyres a bit overkill on the front unless you are seriously fast, have terrible line choice, ride amonst slate rock all the time, or are on a DH bike.. On the back I for sure see the benefit though.

all of the above apart from the DH bike and fast. :lol:

Seriously, though. I'm sick of flimsy casings and the problems that come with them. From now on, ONLY SG / GRID / Black Diamond. Maxxis... until the Exo plus comes out, I'll say that they're the most frequently punctured tyres in my riding group. DD / Exo whatever. 

I'm MIGHTILY impressed with Super Gravity casings. Those things are just suuuper strong, and fend off pinches and rocks like Nina Agdal swipes off tinder matches.