MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi...does anyone maybe know where I can purchase a 27.5 X 2.4 tyre? I checked all the SA online stores and none have.

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs Snakeskins, does anyone know the difference between TLE vs. TLR (Tubeless Easy vs. Tubeless Ready)

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs Snakeskins, does anyone know the difference between TLE vs. TLR (Tubeless Easy vs. Tubeless Ready)

Very little difference apparently, TLE is just what the marketing men decided 2015 Schwable tyres should call their tubeless ready state... So in essence if they are TLE then you know they are the new 2015 tyres.

Very little difference apparently, TLE is just what the marketing men decided 2015 Schwable tyres should call their tubeless ready state... So in essence if they are TLE then you know they are the new 2015 tyres.

tx skylark.

easier implemention of the same thing: tubeless ready. TLE is supposed to allow easier mounting of the tyres.

HOWEVER, i've read okes are having issues seating the bead compared with previously named TLR tyres. One hassle replaced with another, but not sure how widespread the problem is.

I see WTB has made the near perfect muddy mary clone, right down to block lay out and side wall appearance.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11730433/p4pb11730433.jpg

Get's a good review, and i wouldn't expect anything less given how well the MMs perform, not to mention 45a durometer aka tacky rubber on the WTB.

I would give that a spin for sure!

Edited by Capricorn

Hi...does anyone maybe know where I can purchase a 27.5 X 2.4 tyre? I checked all the SA online stores and none have.

We will have Conti X-Kings in 27,5 x 2.4 in stock - hopefully before Xmas!!

Hey guys

Ive had Conti Protection XKing front and RaceKing rear and Ive converted Geax Mezcals front and rear. The rear feels good with no issues..the front however feels loose and gripless once things start getting hairy and I actually lost the front wheel and bought some property the other day on a section I do regularly

I'm running them tubeless with about 1.3-1.4 bar front with 1.5 bar rear. Is the mezcal good as a front tyre? I defnetly need more grip. I was looking at an ardent for the front or even a geax sagauro...Help!

The Vitoria Barzo looks interesting

Edited by Mopkop

Ok,have said before,I weigh 155kg.

Vittoria Saguaro really impressed. They improved their design. Conti protection tyres,have a 240TPI count,which make the sidewalls strong,but the tyre heavy.

Saguaro made their sidewalls 240tpi,and the top of the tyre(tread),120tpi for faster rolling.

Also the Saguaro has directional knobs,that you can run either for traction,or speed.

I turn the front for traction,and the rear for speed.

Works beautifully

Cheers

Ok,have said before,I weigh 155kg.

Vittoria Saguaro really impressed. They improved their design. Conti protection tyres,have a 240TPI count,which make the sidewalls strong,but the tyre heavy.

Saguaro made their sidewalls 240tpi,and the top of the tyre(tread),120tpi for faster rolling.

Also the Saguaro has directional knobs,that you can run either for traction,or speed.

I turn the front for traction,and the rear for speed.

Works beautifully

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I'm going to need to get some new rubber soon.

I know there have been threads about this before, but I can't seem to find them... so I'm looking for AM/XC oriented tyres that will give me decent mileage on tar (as I commute to work on my MTB quite often)  as well as for normal AM/XC riding. Currently have the standard Racing Ralph's that came on my 27,5 Anthem and from previous experience I learnt that these don't fair too well on tar. I would assume it's because of the soft compound used by Shwalbe.

I've heard that Conti's use a harder compund and therefore last longer... true?

Hey guys, so I'm going to need to get some new rubber soon.

I know there have been threads about this before, but I can't seem to find them... so I'm looking for AM/XC oriented tyres that will give me decent mileage on tar (as I commute to work on my MTB quite often)  as well as for normal AM/XC riding. Currently have the standard Racing Ralph's that came on my 27,5 Anthem and from previous experience I learnt that these don't fair too well on tar. I would assume it's because of the soft compound used by Shwalbe.

I've heard that Conti's use a harder compund and therefore last longer... true?

Sometimes.

The trade-off is that as soon as you look at harder compounds, you lose grip. So in essence you *should* be looking for a spare, crappy wheelset for your commutes, and sticking whatever you want on there so that you don't rip your trail tyres to shreds on your commutes.

For commuting - I'd go with either your old tyres, or some semi slicks, or even some crossmarks for the extra on-tar grip (they grip better on tar than dirt)

For trail riding - look no further than Magic Mary & Rock Razor. In super gravity, so that you can run them at lower pressure for even more mad-hatter grip levels.

That'd be my recommendation. Source a cheap 2nd hand wheelset (doesn't matter about the size - it's a commuting wheelset after all, and you're running discs so that's not an issue ito compatability) and then dedicate your current wheelset to trail riding...

Sometimes....

Thanks Mayhem.

Yeah, my plan is to get an additional wheelset, never thought a putting a 26" wheel though, I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent set for a good price. Will a 29er wheelset work as well?

I do like the grip on the Shwalbe's... 

Thanks Mayhem.

Yeah, my plan is to get an additional wheelset, never thought a putting a 26" wheel though, I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent set for a good price. Will a 29er wheelset work as well?

I do like the grip on the Shwalbe's... 

With slicks, or lower volume crossmarks, I reckon so, yeah.

As for the Schwalbe - you MUST get the Super Gravity versions. The sidewall strength is far and above what anyone else is offering. The Muddy Mary will work if you can't find a Magic Mary.