MTB Tyre Choices

patches

all for one tyre tho?

im wanting to do a CRC order at a later stage but doing one now for one Tyre do you think its worth it?

Why not? I've ordered 1 tyre before. Gives you a chance to look for sale items as well... Cheap cheap! Maybe get a cut-price bar or stem?

Edited by cptmayhem

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all for one tyre tho?

im wanting to do a CRC order at a later stage but doing one now for one Tyre do you think its worth it?

I'm waiting for a few people to fill up the order so we can reach the free shipping, won't mind throwing your tyre in as well.

I'm waiting for a few people to fill up the order so we can reach the free shipping, won't mind throwing your tyre in as well.

Legend, thanks even if its only R150?? where abouts are you in jhb?? let me have a look on the site and see what else i can put in.

Legend, thanks even if its only R150?? where abouts are you in jhb?? let me have a look on the site and see what else i can put in.

I'm in Pretoria, but we'll sort that out quick-quick. You might be better off waiting for Cajees though as I don't know how long it's gonna take to fill up the order. I'm waiting for a friend to let me know but my order is about R1500. So we're halfway there. :)

Anybody else?

I'm in Pretoria, but we'll sort that out quick-quick. You might be better off waiting for Cajees though as I don't know how long it's gonna take to fill up the order. I'm waiting for a friend to let me know but my order is about R1500. So we're halfway there. :)

Anybody else?

thanks man really appreciate it! let me know when you do make the order.

and we will see which one comes first!

thanks man really appreciate it! let me know when you do make the order.

and we will see which one comes first!

Sweet

Anybody else?

Hey Zaskar - I can add about R360.00, also here in PTA.

This is a n00b question but what kind of tires do you guys generally use for the front and rear? Front being more aggressive so to speak with a bigger tread and the rear smaller treads? I currently have Kenda small block 8's on my front and rear. One of races during the year I went over the handlebars twice going down hills. The front wheel had no traction at all and the thing just slipped out under me. Granted it was pi$$ing with rain and super muddy but I have a feeling have a mud friendly tyre may have helped. As well as having my arse further back on the saddle :blush:

This is a n00b question but what kind of tires do you guys generally use for the front and rear? Front being more aggressive so to speak with a bigger tread and the rear smaller treads? I currently have Kenda small block 8's on my front and rear. One of races during the year I went over the handlebars twice going down hills. The front wheel had no traction at all and the thing just slipped out under me. Granted it was pi$$ing with rain and super muddy but I have a feeling have a mud friendly tyre may have helped. As well as having my arse further back on the saddle :blush:

In DBN, I'd go for a very aggressive tire, given the soft loamy type of soil you have up there.

Have a look at the Kenda Nevegal, WTB Weirwolf, Maxxis Minion (super tacky tire, on my DH bike) or a Geax Seaguro, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or a Conti Mountain King.

Small Block 8's would quite rightly suck in mud.

Just don't get crossmarks. They'll wash out just as fast as the SB 8's, if not faster.

Kenda small block 8 equals death every time. I have fallen everytime i ride with my Kenda tyres, hate it i have no confidence in my bike due to those effing tyres.

I cant really speak about what tyres to get as i generally just used the tyres that came on the bike or the Kenda small block 8 which as you know was a bad decision!

im going for Maxxis Crossmark on the back and Maxxis Monorail on the front, will let you know how it fares.

In DBN, I'd go for a very aggressive tire, given the soft loamy type of soil you have up there.

Have a look at the Kenda Nevegal, WTB Weirwolf, Maxxis Minion (super tacky tire, on my DH bike) or a Geax Seaguro, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or a Conti Mountain King.

Just don't get crossmarks. They'll wash out just as fast as the SB 8's, if not faster.

I havent even put the damn crossmark on the rim yet and i have no confidence in them! :(

I havent even put the damn crossmark on the rim yet and i have no confidence in them! :(

Crossmark on the back is acceptable. Don't take it anywhere near the front!

Besides, the terrain in JHB is quite different to that in CT or DBN. You guys mostly have hard packed soil & dust, whereas we get muddy quite quickly, and have so many different types of terrain it's actually shocking. We therefore need tires that can handle the majority of terrain - which the Crossmark can't.

Have had both Crossmarks on the back and front and had no problems. It all depends on your terrain, dry, rocky and dusty - Crossmarks are cool. Muddy or wet - Crossmarks are K@K in big Capitols.

Awesome - thanks dude :clap: Just bought a new saddle for the roadie this month so will have to get the tires next month. Expensive sport!! ;)

Crossmark on the back is acceptable. Don't take it anywhere near the front!

Besides, the terrain in JHB is quite different to that in CT or DBN. You guys mostly have hard packed soil & dust, whereas we get muddy quite quickly, and have so many different types of terrain it's actually shocking. We therefore need tires that can handle the majority of terrain - which the Crossmark can't.

I would say we have a large variety aswell, maybe just were i ride but large rooty dry areas to rock gardens to swampy wet areas to rocky decents i mean i want an all-round tyre that i can be confident wont let me down when it sees a tiny bit of mud or a 90 degree bend in gravel. :)