MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Hi, any advice on the Continental Explorer Protection tyre that is currently on special at CWC Online?

Anybody using them?

Edited by TheRookie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some help..

I currently ride a 29er with kenda small block eight tyres. Have been racing with them for a couple of months and love them.

Going to do Sabie experience next week so I just want to know if these tyres will be ok for wet conditions. I don't want to put on tyres specifically for the possibility that it might be wet and muddy so basically just want to know if these tyres will be ok?

From my experience with sb8 I have to say they are not very good in wet conditions. They “clog” up easy reducing the limited grip that those tires have to virtually nothing imo

To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of the sb8’s as they do not have enough grip for my riding style. They are mostly good on dry hard packed surfaces. You will be amazed to see how much harder you can push your bike through turns etc once you replace the sb8s. My advice/opinion is to buy a set of decent tubeless tires (I assume you are riding with tubes? seeing that the sb8’s does not have the strongest sidewalls). Yes it is rather costly but it is worth every sent (I was very skeptical before going tubeless and I can tell you that I would never ride with tubes again).

Keep in mind this is just my opinion. As you said, you love the sb8’s so I assume they work well for your riding style and the area you ride in. Though as mentioned they will be slipping quite a bit in the mud

To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of the sb8’s as they do not have enough grip for my riding style. They are mostly good on dry hard packed surfaces. You will be amazed to see how much harder you can push your bike through turns etc once you replace the sb8s. My advice/opinion is to buy a set of decent tubeless tires (I assume you are riding with tubes? seeing that the sb8’s does not have the strongest sidewalls). Yes it is rather costly but it is worth every sent (I was very skeptical before going tubeless and I can tell you that I would never ride with tubes again).

Keep in mind this is just my opinion. As you said, you love the sb8’s so I assume they work well for your riding style and the area you ride in. Though as mentioned they will be slipping quite a bit in the mud

Thanks, I do ride tubeless but I am a "light" rider so have always used "normal" tyres and not ust's.

I am mostly a road so not very experienced as to what are the best options. I did do a race a couple of months ago that I had to push very hard because I was away on my own in front. I ended up losing the front of the bike on a couple of occasions on the loose stuff so I do think are not that good for grip.

Was just not sure how they will handle the mud, was worried because they don't really have any space between the knobs...

So what should I get? Lightish and fast but with a bit better grip...any suggestions?

So what should I get? Lightish and fast but with a bit better grip...any suggestions?

mmmm that is almost an impossible combo but if I had to choose tyres I would go with two schwalbe racing ralphs snakeskin version...they are light enough, tough enough and have enough grip but still rolls well. Choose your poison

I personally ride bontrager 29.3 as they are great in any condition and they are very durable. They have little rolling resistance, however, they are not as light as the sb8s. For full on racing many of the top riders go for the ralph/ron combo (not the most durable tires imo but I would not classify them as less durable than the sb8) or race kings. Some guys also love their crossmark’s but I think they are heavier than the relph/ron or race kings.

Thanks, I do ride tubeless but I am a "light" rider so have always used "normal" tyres and not ust's.

I am mostly a road so not very experienced as to what are the best options. I did do a race a couple of months ago that I had to push very hard because I was away on my own in front. I ended up losing the front of the bike on a couple of occasions on the loose stuff so I do think are not that good for grip.

Was just not sure how they will handle the mud, was worried because they don't really have any space between the knobs...

Its a very personal choice and youll ge a million combo's.

My fav and i have tried many this last year is a conti-xking at the back and geax sugaro in front, but thats on 26" not sure whats available for the big feet.

From my experience with sb8 I have to say they are not very good in wet conditions. They “clog” up easy reducing the limited grip that those tires have to virtually nothing imo

The "clogging" up at the back is what worries me with sb8...so would race kings be better?

Have hear about race kings at the back and mountain kings in the front.What about race kings for front and back?

Someone also told me about captain control for the front?

mmmm that is almost an impossible combo but if I had to choose tyres I would go with two schwalbe racing ralphs snakeskin version...they are light enough, tough enough and have enough grip but still rolls well. Choose your poison

Thanks will have a look at the racing ralphs,any idea who stocks them in pta?

Some dude reckons somewhere that if you spray your tyres with Spray 'n Cook, it stops (or reduces) the mud sticking to your tyres...

I've never tried it, but it sounds like it's worth a bash? I'd take the first couple of corners easy tho, until it's worn off the treads!

I used to use Bontrager Revolt Super-X's which were superb. On one muddy ride they clogged up so bad that the wheels jammed against the frame and I had more hassle trying to get home than I care to mention - so I've never used them since. If the spray and cook thing works, I may well go back to them.

Thanks will have a look at the racing ralphs,any idea who stocks them in pta?

Check out Buycycle, they are in centurion i think otherwise I got them from cwc, but you do have to get the snakeskin ones, the straight evo ones are stupid light but the sidewalls are not made for our conditions.

what kinda pressure should one be looking at for wet/muddy conditions?

I run Schwalbe Smart Sam back and front

Check out Buycycle, they are in centurion i think otherwise I got them from cwc, but you do have to get the snakeskin ones, the straight evo ones are stupid light but the sidewalls are not made for our conditions.

Thanks,I see there is also a Racing Ralph HT?

Also i see thye have 2.10 and 2.25?but only the snakeskin in 2.25?what is the difference?would the 2.10 not be a faster tyre?

Thanks,I see there is also a Racing Ralph HT?

Also i see thye have 2.10 and 2.25?but only the snakeskin in 2.25?what is the difference?would the 2.10 not be a faster tyre?

The "snakeskin" thing basically translates into thicker sidewalls by means of a woven layer on either side, this added weight penalty(which isn't much)guards tires against abrasion damage. The straight evo's dont have this feature and it a not suitable for our country. I have the 2.25, higher volume tyre yes but still rolls very easy while still giving extra cushion and contact, a deal breaker really is the snakeskin, if you can't get the 2.10 in this tech, don't bother they are notorious for sidewall cuts on rocks. I have taken mine through some really rocky stuff and they are perfect and at 640g a 29er tyre, they are at the top of my list of tyres.

PS. I used to run geax sagueros...great tyres, they are extremely tough and grip well in all conditions but heavy(close to 900g) and a bitch to get on and off the rim(no jokes...it took two of us over 3 hours and a bottle of brandy to do the conversion...never again)