MTB Tyre Choices

patches

OMH this DHR II 2.4WT is the flippin bomb...it just hooks in the corners and there no more of that clenching ( read puckering ) now when i throw the bike into a corner. admittedly its a little slower rolling but i will put up with that all day for added confidence in the twisty stuff  :clap:  :clap:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent review quote "We originally thought these tires were terrible at rolling. We’d like to amend that: the Maxxis Assegai tires are the slowest rolling tires we have used other than a full-on mud spike on a downhill bike."

I was thinking about this but a 1300gm DH cased tyre for one or 2 enduro's this year but  with those rolling characteristics it looks like I would be peddling down the 'dh' tracks locally.  Maybe a trail / enduro verson could be in the future using the key features? 

Hectic stuff.

OMH this DHR II 2.4WT is the flippin bomb...it just hooks in the corners and there no more of that clenching ( read puckering ) now when i throw the bike into a corner. admittedly its a little slower rolling but i will put up with that all day for added confidence in the twisty stuff  :clap:  :clap:

It is an awesome tyre - I don't see myself using anything else on the front for a while. I like that the DHR2 rolls a bit better than the DHF, and since I'm not really an aggressive enough rider to warrant going for a DHF, the DHR2 is perfect!

It is an awesome tyre - I don't see myself using anything else on the front for a while. I like that the DHR2 rolls a bit better than the DHF, and since I'm not really an aggressive enough rider to warrant going for a DHF, the DHR2 is perfect!

I would disagree with this. I think the DHF rolls faster than the DHR2 and also corners better. The DHR2 has better accelerating and braking traction though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I would disagree with this. I think the DHF rolls faster than the DHR2 and also corners better. The DHR2 has better accelerating and braking traction though.

Not my experience (wrt to rolling speed), but hey I guess if all had the same experience we'd all be riding identical bikes with identical components.

i can't compare as i haven't ridden both...but that statement confuses me a bit ...DHF rolls faster but DHR accelerates faster .....surely the faster rolling tyre should also accelerate faster.. :huh:

i can't compare as i haven't ridden both...but that statement confuses me a bit ...DHF rolls faster but DHR accelerates faster .....surely the faster rolling tyre should also accelerate faster.. :huh:

Not what I said. The DHR2 has better accelerating traction and braking traction.

Not what I said. The DHR2 has better accelerating traction and braking traction.

so are you meaning as a rear tyre for accelerating traction ...not trying to be funny just trying to understand what you are saying

so are you meaning as a rear tyre for accelerating traction ...not trying to be funny just trying to understand what you are saying

Exactly, as a rear tyre, ie. a steep climb where the rear wheel might slip under power.

Essentially the DHR2 tread pattern favours forward and backward traction at the expense of some rolling resistance, compared to the DHF tread pattern favours side to side traction at the expense of some braking traction.

Exactly, as a rear tyre, ie. a steep climb where the rear wheel might slip under power.

Essentially the DHR2 tread pattern favours forward and backward traction at the expense of some rolling resistance, compared to the DHF tread pattern favours side to side traction at the expense of some braking traction.

aah OK ...good to know. well it works damm well as a front i reckon  :thumbup:

aah OK ...good to know. well it works damm well as a front i reckon [emoji106]

Compared to an Ardent, of course yes. The front tyre being weighted less than the rear while seated/peddling adds significantly less to the overall rolling resistance.

The DHR2 breaks damn hard in a straight line, just don't let it wash. And it will corner nicely as well, as long as you lean it in enough for those side knobs to bite.

When it comes time to replace, put a DHF on the front. Thank me later.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am shopping for a new set of 29 MTB tyres, my current set-up is Vittoria Barzo front and Saguaro rear. This set-up worked well for me and I was about to invest in another set but then I saw they are now available in a "Cape Cobra" version. Anybody have any experience with the Cape Cobra's? How are they different from the standard TNT Vittorias and are they worth an extra R100 per tyre?

Hi I am shopping for a new set of 29 MTB tyres, my current set-up is Vittoria Barzo front and Saguaro rear. This set-up worked well for me and I was about to invest in another set but then I saw they are now available in a "Cape Cobra" version. Anybody have any experience with the Cape Cobra's? How are they different from the standard TNT Vittorias and are they worth an extra R100 per tyre?

It's a thicker sidewall, which should protect you from sidewall cuts and snake bite punctures better than standard sidewalls. They are slightly heavier. I'll take the extra weight any day of the week though, trying to save weight by going for a weak sidewall is in my opinion plain stoopid.

It's a thicker sidewall, which should protect you from sidewall cuts and snake bite punctures better than standard sidewalls. They are slightly heavier. I'll take the extra weight any day of the week though, trying to save weight by going for a weak sidewall is in my opinion plain stoopid.

So same thread pattern, just a thicker side wall and different compound rubber  perhaps?

I'm not sure how common side wall cuts are on the Vittoria's, to date I have not suffered a single side wall cut(fingers-crossed)

• 4 weeks later...

So my tyres are nearing the end of their life. Currently running Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3 on front (24mm internal rim) and Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on back (27mm internal rim).

Have quite enjoyed the combination but I feel the ikon is lacking a bit of traction so interested in trying a different combination.

Have been looking at the Vittoria range but a bit confused with what combination will be similar to what I currently have. I have read that the Barzo/Saguaro combination works quite well but then I have seen that the mezcal is even faster rolling so wouldn’t that be a better rear? Quite hard to find any reviews on the net because I think they have changed the tread pattern so often.

Edited by Dean9406

So my tyres are nearing the end of their life. Currently running Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3 on front (24mm internal rim) and Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on back (27mm internal rim).

Have quite enjoyed the combination but I feel the ikon is lacking a bit of traction so interested in trying a different combination.

Have been looking at the Vittoria range but a bit confused with what combination will be similar to what I currently have. I have read that the Barzo/Saguaro combination works quite well but then I have seen that the mezcal is even faster rolling so wouldn’t that be a better rear? Quite hard to find any info on the net because I think they have changed the tread pattern so often.

Barzo front and Mezcal rear. Both with graphene and the Cape Cobra version will blow your mind