Question to all the men

headhunter2000

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. You can't treat it as a training ride for you. It's got to be time you spend together. Ride next to her, or behind her, but never ahead.

I tried the riding behind scenario, then all I got was "stop looking at my arse" or "youre freaking me out behind me" best thing is to ride next to her and just enjoy the time spent together otherwise you will not be getting any for a week. ;)

You must also encourage as much as possible, worst thing would be to do what you did, riding circles around her :lol:

yep. Also get ahead of her on the trail when it comes to the singletrack. She might not be able to keep up with you, and you might have to go super-slowly, but she will be watching where you brake, which line you take and which things you avoid. This will all make up her "training" and will make her feel like a superstar when she does things that, just a week ago, she would have baulked at.

Just never, EVER, ride circles around her. She WILL feel as if you're mocking her with your superior strength & ability

Just hang in there and help her.Teach her how to use her gears properly and improve her cycling.Stay with her and do not let her think she is holding you back.Spin,push big gears but stay with her> You will be amazed as to how your relationship and marriage will blossom. She will get stronger and may even start to put you under the hammer.My wife has now done 2 70.3's and and ironman and gives my mates a run for their money.The time is worth it> :clap: :clap: :clap:

I tried the riding behind scenario, then all I got was "stop looking at my arse" or "youre freaking me out behind me" best thing is to ride next to her and just enjoy the time spent together otherwise you will not be getting any for a week. ;)

You must also encourage as much as possible, worst thing would be to do what you did, riding circles around her :lol:

If we are climbing a hill, I am told to stay behind her and shut up = no speaking even if it is encouragement.

As others have said - ride with her, not motoring ahead and turning around to catch up again and repeat. small h says it's demoralising / demotivating when I ride 'with' her but climb fast past her and leave her behind just to turn arond and do it again.

See the ride with your wife as spin training - high cadence and keep it there. On hills I end up doing low cadence quad strengthening work.

My hubby and I have the reverse problem as I'm stronger than him. We have a "gentleman's agreement" that we won't ride together so that it never becomes an issue.

While it is great for partners to participate in the same sport, it shouldn't have to be a stress on the relationship.

Alternatively, get a tandem ;)

I ride with my MRs.

Our last 94.7...she beat me by 30 minutes.

Its one of the reasons i love her so much...she doesnt play around and definately doesnt take crap.

The only time i can ride circles round her, is if she has a flat. :blush:

Or make it clear that you're there for HER - it's not a training ride for you. Same when I play squash against my wife. She's a player for WP. I'm most definitely not. But, she plays down to me. I accept that if she were to play "properly" I'd never get a shot in edgeways, even if my ability to swop hands does freak her out substantially.

Did you tell her how you learn't to "swop hands"?

Some of these posts make me realise the biggest issue with most relationships... lack of communication!

Instead of asking other men on here for advice why not sit and chat to your wife/partner and find out how she would prefer you to approach your rides with her.

Did you tell her how you learn't to "swop hands"?

I've always been ambidextrous. I was a LH'er as a lightie, but back then it was "strange" so it was trained out of me at a primary school level. To this day, I play cricket & golf left handed, but my dominant hand is my right, which I write and play tennis / squash with.

The swopping thing was just something that I found irritated & confused opponents who were better than me. It works, for a while...

I thought off a solution. Next time I'm going to take a towing rope along. I'll get my needed exercise while we can keep up a good conversation going at a good speed.

I thought off a solution. Next time I'm going to take a towing rope along. I'll get my needed exercise while we can keep up a good conversation going at a good speed.

I do hope that was sarcastic, bro.

If not, you're definitely going to be in the ***! Seriously. Train by yourself, RIDE with your wife. Don't force her to conform to your training regimen when all she wants is to be able to ride with you, and spend time on the bike.

Edited by cptmayhem

Be grateful she is into cycling. I bought my wife all the gear and a bike which she rode a couple of times and then gave it up. Lost a couple of bob there...

When we did ride, I basically just chilled and we had a nice day out. no hill attacks or sprints.... Just a fun ride.

I'm not phased that she gave it up, it actually stressed me out on the road as I was also imaging the worst. She at least understands the sport and my commitment so is cool with weekend mornings being mine.

my hubby is faster than me, when we go for a ride he will either go up the hill and come down and go back up with me or if i am in fighting mood he will "coach" me to the top and thats helped me a lot to push the limits. great fun. nothing more dishaertening though than somebody ccircling you while you are pushing hard to make it to the top, you deserved your slap their!

Edited by Tjokkits

if i was your wife i will trian my guts out just to kick your plonker arse :angry: