Question to all the men

headhunter2000

Het jou sussie jou ge-divorce?

Tandemmimg is real fun, if it worx for you, but either you ride straight into a second honeymoon or straight through the divorce court.

hahaa nee ry lankal nie meer saam haar tandem..sy's nou getroud en verwag...so niks sulke dinge

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stuffed up with my Mrs once... Organised a ride at Koeberg with a bunch of friends/family and kids etc. Then one of my (single) buddies cleared off into the distance and I chased him down thinking my wife would be happy to ride with the other wives... :thumbdown:

Boy, was I wrong! I think, eventually, it was the words, "Sorry honey, but my brain switched off and my legs took over!" that defrosted the cold shoulder I was getting. ;)

You guys are all so lucky. My wife wants nothing to do with the sport at all. She doenst even attend races and browse around with little hubber in tow. But it gives us both some "me time" which is a good thing, and she gives me time to go ride whenever I need it. She actually gives me a lot of support in the form of munchies for a ride here, and sometimes make my on the bike drinks. So thats ok I guess.

On another point, my little hubber will be getting his first real bike for Xmas, its gonna be so cool hitting a few trails with the little man one day!

i'm more than happy to go UP slowly with my wife, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned how flipping frustrating it is to be on the brakes the whole way DOWN the other side!

heck the reason i don't mind climbing so much is for the thrill and fun of the descent, as well as the pain and suffering of course ;)

I really struggle with the whole "what if I come off?" argument versus "I'm gonna need a new set of pads afer this" :unsure:

furthermore my wife thinks cycling is the most spectator-unfriendly sport in existence (lets not get started on the shaved legs!) so no matter how much i want to include her she always finds an excuse to rather go do something with her girlfriends.

On riding days I wake up and shout down the passage, "I'm going cycling. Might only be back around sunset. Think I'll spend the day on the bike actually." All I hear is silence! I had a wife once...

If I have a 2nd attempt she will be far more open to my activities!

Those of you with a missus who ride are mad to even consider turning those rides into any form of contest! Save that for riding with the mates and races!

I send my lovely lady out to do 3 hours befor I join her so I can cruise with her for the last 2. Else it's just hell for me as she is so competitive it's not funny. Maybe apply the same in reverse just make sure her bike is sorted befor you leave, if her tires are flat you will be in deep trouble.

My girlfriend and myself live in an area which has a massive area for safe cycling for beginners.

However, my gf never makes the effort to even try to get a little fit, so we could both at least enjoy the ride. I have tried the together thing, I have tried the lets wake up with me at 4:30 to ride in the morning, and so it gos on!

It shouldn't only come form one side.....give and take!

Are you allowed to laugh at your wife if she wipes out?

Ok, I ask first if she is ok before I laugh at her...On the other hand, she laughs at me first and THEN asks if I am ok...

My wife is tough as nails. She can kick my ass climbing on a good day, and embarasses a lot of guys on the downhills.

I am only aloud to laugh at her bails once I see that she is okay.

Ha Ha the common problem. I also have the same situation with my GF. While she knows I am alot faster and does allow me to up and down the hill (in fact all is good as long as I go up and then go back down to ride with her the rest of the hill) there seems to be a fine line. Seems to just depend on the day (never worked out the formula). One day I can race off and come back as many times as i like, and all is cool, the next day I do the same and things seemed rather quiet when I come back........ Mmmmm Thats when I should get the first hint she would like me to ride with her for a while, but we all know what happens.... I race off again :lol: When you get back things are even more quiet, to a point that even the rolling wheels on the dirt have gone quiet.... Guess we never learn

Actually all not that bad. I have made a deal with her for next years Sani training as she finally got an entry :thumbup: (She is riding with a frined). 1 day of the weekend I will train with her but the next day she can ride with the friend or not ride and I can either go with a faster crowd or go on my own. Suppose it's all about balance.

One thing I can say is I would rather be riding slowly every ride with the GF than when I was married to someone that only shopped 24/7 in the malls over the weekends and still moaned if I went for a 2 hr ride once on the weekend. I would even ride at 4km/hr as long as I am out there on the bike. Life is gooooood now :clap:

@The real MJ

That comment on laughing at the wife i think you can the first time but definately not the 2nd. Did the 3 towers with the GF. Day 1 she had a huge crash (no laughing matter) but Day 2 I laughed when she almost crashed (rear wheel high in the air while going down a steep slope). She saw the humour but when she alomost crashed a 2nd time that day and I laughed (it did look funny from behind and she didn't actually crash) I got the silent treatment for the next 10km. Suppose I deserved it. All in moderation :thumbup: But how can u not laugh when they loose control down a hill but manage to grab a tree on the way down and stop still standing over the bike.... Must by a GoPro

My wifes idea of a fun day out is to head off to the nearest mall and go shopping and do coffee :thumbdown: and talk .... for hours on end. I cannot think of anything worse than a shopping mall on a Sunday. I absolutely HATE shopping malls period. My idea of fun on a Sunday involves a lot of sun, water, trails wind sweat and at times a little bruising and blood. To hell with the rest :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty new to the sport, but I'm also new to it riding with my GF. She is pretty active and fit and does yoga twice a week, runs, and has run the Two Oceans twice.

We went away for the holiday period and hit some trails in and around Plett/Knysna, it was awesome. She kicks my ass on the climbs pretty severely, but it's not a competitive thing, and she lets me pass her for downhills because she knows that that's what I really enjoy. Overall she is pretty awesome and we haven't had any issues while riding other than some energy-based frustration :P

I think I'm pretty lucky. Hopefully going to be riding with her for a long time to come!