Knee Pain

Spindrift

I have been cycling for about 5 years now but never anything serious - but this last year I've set myself goals.  Trained through winter so as to maintain fitness.

Now - my problem is, i've just reached a comfortable fitness level and I'm ready for the first few local 100km races in January - my right knee starts paining!! Every downward stroke I can feel I'm loosing power.  It's not the ITB, it's the tendon joining the hamstring to the knee.. Cry

My question is - how do I keep on training without causing any more damage and what can I do to get this to go away before racing in Jan??  Any suggestions? 

1st ascertain what's causing the pain and then try and fix it...

Maybe ur saddles to high or low...or something like that...

It sounds like patella tendonitis...

I get this quite often, its an overuse injury, also caused by not streching and overloading your quads

If it is that - go to a good physio and you should be A-OK within a week and you will still be able to train between treatments and a little strapping on the knee to aleviate stress from your quad...

It's to the front of the knee. I had a set-up done last week and we lifted my saddle by half a centimeter... so that should help.. thanks Captain Dura

I get this quite often' date=' its an overuse injury, also caused by not streching and overloading your quads

If it is that - go to a good physio and you should be A-OK within a week and you will still be able to train between treatments and a little strapping on the knee to aleviate stress from your quad...

[/quote']

Great stuff!! Embarrasingly I have to admit that I'm not the most dedicated stretcher and as can be seen it has led to my own detriment..  Wonder why it only happens to one knee and not to both?

I get this quite often' date=' its an overuse injury, also caused by not streching and overloading your quads

[/quote']

Great stuff!! Embarrasingly I have to admit that I'm not the most dedicated stretcher and as can be seen it has led to my own detriment..  Wonder why it only happens to one knee and not to both?

Probably because your one leg is stronger than the other - like me, it always happens to my right leg, that being my dominant leg

Umm, where is is sore again?

http://www.itendonitis.com/images/knee.jpg

Front of knee - above or below the knee cap? Left  or right of the knee cap? Under the knee cap? worse with bent or staight leg? Swelling or not? etc.

(Maybe see a sports doc or physio?)

#Pete#2007-12-19 07:32:21

Spindrift, strange that your post came up today.

After my two long rides over the long weekend with my "new" groupset fitted, I suddenly started developing similar symptons to yours during the day yesterday. Pain is on outside of knee, and slightly to the back. If I stand up after being seated for a while it is quite sore for a while when walking. Thought my knee problems have resurfaced (had knee op a couple of years ago to rectify a running injury)

Someone explained about overloading your quads, which I am sure I did, as the groupset fitted to my bike is for a triple, but I only have a double front derailer fitted, therefore the small ring is out of use. Not used to the 42/23 ratio (39/26 old ratio) I had to use (heavier gears than normal) over the hilly route we did., and my avg cadence was only 72rpm. Must have stressed my quads more than I'm used to.

Will go out for high cadence/light gears/flat route today to see what happens.

Umm' date=' where is is sore again?

http://www.itendonitis.com/images/knee.jpg

Front of knee - above or below the knee cap? Left  or right of the knee cap? Under the knee cap? worse with bent or staight leg? Swelling or not? etc.

(Maybe see a sports doc or physio?)
[/quote']

wow - thanks for the pic of the knee - it's on the outside of the right knee and there's mainly pain when I climb.  The pain sometimes shoots to just under the knee cap but basically just pains along the outside of the knee. No swelling and it's worse when it's bent.  looks like it could be the Hamstring Tendon?

will make an appointment at our physio and see what she says. 

Spindrift' date=' strange that your post came up today.

After my two long rides over the long weekend with my "new" groupset fitted, I suddenly started developing similar symptons to yours during the day yesterday. Pain is on outside of knee, and slightly to the back. If I stand up after being seated for a while it is quite sore for a while when walking. Thought my knee problems have resurfaced (had knee op a couple of years ago to rectify a running injury)

Someone explained about overloading your quads, which I am sure I did, as the groupset fitted to my bike is for a triple, but I only have a double front derailer fitted, therefore the small ring is out of use. Not used to the 42/23 ratio (39/26 old ratio) I had to use (heavier gears than normal) over the hilly route we did., and my avg cadence was only 72rpm. Must have stressed my quads more than I'm used to.

Will go out for high cadence/light gears/flat route today to see what happens.

[/quote']

Funny thing Wannebe - this started when we were on our return trip from the Kroonpark ride not this past weekend but the weekend before.. and just as you say - if you're seated for awhile and stand up you can definitely feel the knee taking strain.. I've also been advised to do the lighter gears so that's what my training schedule looks like at present..

Ouch - knee op! Ouch have never had one fortunately..

Guess what, knee is feeling a lot better today. Had cold compress on it last night, and wearing my "Dynasport" kneeguard this morning. Did not go cycling last night, wife had other more serious things to do (what's with woman and buying Xmas gifts for everybody and their dogWacko)

Looking at pic posted by #Pete#, it looks like my Patellar Tendon is inflamed a bit, as it was hot to the touch last night, before the cold compress.

Big%20smile

I had both knees go on me a long time ago - the last pain I had was in the right knee just below the knee-cap - Used to use the big ring alot & on climbs - enter high cadence & lighter gears as well as saddle adjustment ... problem sorted ...

Now I don't overload the quads & almost never push big gears especially climbing - My friend has the same pain & I established the exact same symtoms as I had ..he works big gears & never listens .... Ouch

'DTThumbs%20Up"

DT, I agree, no more "grinding" and pushing big gears for me. Seems my three days of hard riding was too much for my wonky knee. (although I am chuffed with the fact that my quads survived without a cramp in sight) At least I am moving in the right direction, form wise.

Will have to get the correct front derailer so that I can use all of my gear ratios.

Guess what' date=' knee is feeling a lot better today. Had cold compress on it last night, and wearing my "Dynasport" kneeguard this morning. Did not go cycling last night, wife had other more serious things to do (what's with woman and buying Xmas gifts for everybody and their dogWacko)

Looking at pic posted by #Pete#, it looks like my Patellar Tendon is inflamed a bit, as it was hot to the touch last night, before the cold compress.
[/quote']

Glad to hear your knee's feeling better!! Big%20smile  Will be getting myself a cold compress and a Dynasport kneeguard today for sure!! Luckily I must say, the knee doesn't get hot at all or swollen - it just pains when I peddle through.  But, I'm on the lighter gears and my seat height has been adjusted - now it's just a case of working it through.

Don't know really - not the type to fuss about presents.. so good luck Wannabe.. LOL