West Coast Bike lane celebs

GLuvsMtb

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning. Maybe the Anderson Transport / Cycles Direct / Cape Town Market whannabees that were spotted next to the bike lane on a road with no shoulder 5 minutes earlier should re-think their inherent uncoolness and join the movement towards safer cycling.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning. Maybe the Anderson Transport / Cycles Direct / Cape Town Market whannabees that were spotted next to the bike lane on a road with no shoulder 5 minutes earlier should re-think their inherent uncoolness and join the movement towards safer cycling.

Us wannabes don't get free tubes and tyres like Dave and Kevin - we have to pay for them - and the bergies aren't messing around with the bike lane bottle smashing

Us wannabes don't get free tubes and tyres like Dave and Kevin - we have to pay for them - and the bergies aren't messing around with the bike lane bottle smashing

Tube patch = R2.

Car taking you out because you ride 3 abreast on a road with no shoulder > R2

You do the math

Don't know when last you actually used the bike lane, but it seems to be cleaner than the inside lane on the R27. Just do everyone a favour and try to get knocked down out of peak time traffic. Having ambulances and police cleaning up an accident disrupts everyone and not to mention the cost involved for the tax payer.

Well we know who's policing the bike lanes, but who's policing the police..........

Wonder if the guys were trying to look/be cool, or perhaps just enjoying their ride - methinks that they were enjoying the time in the saddle.

I have yet to see bergies breaking bottles on purpose, but like I said have yet to see :blink:

however I have seen the odd fart toss bottles out of their car onto the side of the road where said bicycle lane is located or sidewalk, whats up with that behaviour??? Is it too much of a mission to keep the bottle until the next stop???

Well we know who's policing the bike lanes, but who's policing the police..........

Wonder if the guys were trying to look/be cool, or perhaps just enjoying their ride - methinks that they were enjoying the time in the saddle.

Definately enjoying their ride. Greeting fellow cyclists and chatting to what looked like a few social riders who bunched up with them.

I haven't been on the bike lane in about 6 months, but the last time I was there (and every time before that) it was cleaner than the road. I do agree it was put there for both a safety and convenience purpose (and that's for motorists too, not only us cyclists!) so it would be in everyones best interests if you used it. It might be more convenient for you to ride in the road, but it isn't in the interests of the cars stuck behind you (and there is absolutely no shoulder there so no space for both a bike and a car in the left lane).

I like riding in the Parden Eilend section of the lanes; it reminds me of a backdraught experiance I had awile back. Well anyway, if you can handle the glass.. the trollies.. the swearing.. the robbers.. (in that Industrial Section..) the stop/start riding.. well then that section of the lanes rock!

Hey its better than getting sucked under the wheels of a truck (ACT OF GOD?!?) Seriously?

I use it almost daily now and yes has a few bits of glass on but so has the road. The part through pardeen Island is ok a bit of a hassle with some of the crossings but if timed well U get to race the bus :D

I use it almost daily now and yes has a few bits of glass on but so has the road. The part through pardeen Island is ok a bit of a hassle with some of the crossings but if timed well U get to race the bus :D

+ Sprinting from intersection to intersection is bloody good training even if there is no bus around.

+ Sprinting from intersection to intersection is bloody good training even if there is no bus around.

:thumbup:

I use the bicycle lane all the time without problems. Of course you have to slow down a little more at the intersections to go over the curbs, but that's definitely worth not having to worry about getting knocked over :thumbup: . I have punctured once or twice on the lane, but I have also punctured plenty on roads...

too many walkers , runners, dog walkers, roller bladers & poles to call it a bicycle lane. i have also noticed a lot more social riders and parents with young kids using the lane, which is great. but its not great for a group training ride.

yah, i agree with ccc2, and not to mention the missing drain covers and bergies at the industrial section. By the way, I think my tax contribution is good enough, so I (wannabe) will use the road should I feel so