Has the ABSA CAPE EPIC lost its appeal or is it just too expensive?

bolt67

The Epic has definately lost it's sole - I did 2004, 2006 & 2007 and could see a change over the years already - in those days it was an adventure - to ride from Knysna to Cape Town off road - you achieved something - now it's a slog in my "own back yard" with the organizer trying to get as much money out of the event and to have as high a drop out as possible. In those years entries sold out in a matter of hours and were snatched up if they became available again. If you want a race with sole, value for money and a truely warm fuzzy feeling - do the Sani2c !

This seems to sum up the essence of the change to me. I've never done an Epic, probably never will. But when I moved to SA in 2007 my swaer was dead keen and wanted me to team up with him. He saw it as just that "a big adventure, and something unique to SA". His passion for it has gone since then - the cost is now way beyond his limits, and it's become an elite/international event. Good for SA for sure, but out of the reach of local interested amateurs. Hopefully we'll do one of the other local "big tour" events together some day, like the TransBaviaans or one of the other multi-day point to point adventure routes that are still not too expensive.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Epic has definately lost it's sole - I did 2004, 2006 & 2007 and could see a change over the years already - in those days it was an adventure - to ride from Knysna to Cape Town off road - you achieved something - now it's a slog in my "own back yard" with the organizer trying to get as much money out of the event and to have as high a drop out as possible. In those years entries sold out in a matter of hours and were snatched up if they became available again. If you want a race with sole, value for money and a truely warm fuzzy feeling - do the Sani2c !

I didn't know there were any fish involved on the epic?

How do you race against a sole?

It's become a professional race...not to be attempted by the above average amateur!

The cost will be the death of this event. Who will sponsor an ordinary Joe Soap to the tune of R40k for bugger-all returns?? (i.e no chance of EVER getting on the podium).

My 2 cents.....firstly, I do think that it has lost its appeal....Mr Vermaak and his team will have re-think the setup, but I do not see it getting cheaper :oops: ......secondly, I think it is indeed priced too high (especially for SA citizens) :thumbdown: .......the Pro's and overseas riders can do the EPIC and get their UCI points (pro's).....we'll do the Cape Pioneer Trek! :thumbup:

What the Argus is to the average road cyclist, the Epic is to the average mountain biker. We all want to do it at least once. The cost of the Argus is chump change compared to the Epic. With the Epic, the cost overrrides everything. Hardly anyone just enters to give it a go. Forget the time sacrifice for training. The impersonal treatment of the average rider at the Epic probably has a lot do with the current attitude towards the race. You are definitely a number and once they have your money, nobody really cares about you. We (I speak for myself) don't ride the Epic to win, we ride for the experience and the challenge. If only the organisers would come out from behind their VIP enclosures and come down to our level (like Henco, his wife and the rest of the Dryland team do at the Pioneer), I think we might be more inclined to make the financial sacrifice. At least we feel like our participation is appreciated and we are treated like a valued customer, because that's what we are- customers.

What would the Epic look like if there were only 20 Pro Teams racing against each other? It wouldn't happen, the Epic would close down.

We make the race and we , nor the organisers should forget that.

Sani is always put forward as the race to do and forget all others. I will do my first Sani this year and I am looking forward to see whether all the hype is true. As a 3 day (2 night) race,the Sani is also not a cheap race. But, i would contend , the reason everyone holds this event in such high esteem is because of how the average rider is treated by the organisers. You feel valued and appreciated and is that not in essence what we all want?

If event organisers don't wake up and realise this , I think a lot more riders will vote with their feet and not support the races where you are treated like a sheep and fleeced. The "fat" times are over and will not return for many years and the overseas riders (and rich locals) who everyone says are lining up to take the place of the guy who can't afford the Epic, are also turning into a bit of a myth.

The customer is king. The Pro rider pushes the ratings and status of the Epic (and pays zero entry fee), but we , the guys who make up the middle and back of the field, are the ones who pay the bills for the organisers.

It's become a professional race...not to be attempted by the above average amateur!

The cost will be the death of this event. Who will sponsor an ordinary Joe Soap to the tune of R40k for bugger-all returns?? (i.e no chance of EVER getting on the podium).

I dont know much about this race. So my comment may be out of line.

But this event started out as a race most South Africans could afford and do. As the event grew in status more international folk became involved. So now the race is about the international riders and not South Africans. I dont see this event dying. I see it growing, especially as its grows more on the international scene. It will only be a matter of time before other events follow, unless, the organisers choose to keep it local ( Sani2C). Will the pioneer trek do the same?

Actually Slowbee, I don't think the international riders will fall for this much longer... Flights, acommodation, race entry etc. could easily run into R60-70000 if you come from Europe. At R10.26 for the Euro, it works out at about 6500 Euro, which is a LOT of money for them.

laaaik the new avatar pic, where did you get it ?

Have a look at http://cristania.tumblr.com/page/1 Its got over 2000 pages of some beautiful photographic images. Some with bicycles in .... and some with nudity as is typical of most photographic sites, so be aware that it may be a litle NSFW

They have a nice feature on the top right of the page which creates a mosaic of all the pictures, which helps you find suitable pictures quickly. Choose the "TUMBLR MOSAIC -use tumblr mosaic for a quick navigate" link

Edited by stratus5

The whole "team" thing does put me off. You haven't always got a buddy who's up for it or fit enough; too many things can go wrong and then your whole race goes south.

also think the race wil be better contested if it was individusls instead of teams

I'm not at all involved with the race and I haven't ridden it, yet, but let's think about it differently.

According to some on this thread and other many others, it has become the no. 1 event in its class globally. Does it make sense therefore that every South African MTB'er gets to ride it and that it should be affordable to all? As a premier event, it derserves to be exclusive and the organisers deserve to get a return for their efforts. Well done to KV for creating the concept and establising a "world-class" event. Better than CSA have managed to do.

They don't, however, deserve to automatically get our cash and we have the right to vote...with our feet.

If there are better and more affordable events, then the Epic will face competition and have to adjust accordingly, but it may survive on reputation alone for a while.

Doing my first Epic,very amped to ride it!I got a sponser,would never pay the entry fee.Did the CPT last year and I know the Epic's not going to be as nice.I'm going to miss Oom Katots sadistic trails.But,I'll try to enjoy it :thumbup:

Have a look at http://cristania.tumblr.com/page/1 Its got over 2000 pages of some beautiful photographic images. Some with bicycles in .... and some with nudity as is typical of most photographic sites, so be aware that it may be a litle NSFW

They have a nice feature on the top right of the page which creates a mosaic of all the pictures, which helps you find suitable pictures quickly. Choose the "TUMBLR MOSAIC -use tumblr mosaic for a quick navigate" link

thanks, maar bliksem dis maar so bietjie foto's ....

In 20 years from now you will look back and wont think about the R20k it cost you but about the experience it was. I spoke to a number of riders that said that they would pay R40k for the feeling you get when crossing the finish line. So in 73 days i"ll be able to tell if that is in fact true.

I have done a few Epics, and to be honest, I wouldn't pay R40k for that feeling.

thanks, maar bliksem dis maar so bietjie foto's ....

And Dangle definitely does not want to look or search for images with a "tatoo" tag

And Dangle definitely does not want to look or search for images with a "tatoo" tag

I made a mistake clicking that link, all my bandwidth will be gone, some great pics on there.