Why are MTB races so poorly attended

Natural Defender

:thumbup:

Maybe it's just because many MTBers aren't hung up about "racing". We're more interested in having fun, in many cases.

Edzachary. Couldn't care less about races. Want to relax on my bike and and have fun with my buds when I'm out there. Better than some **** screaming at me to keep left, because he wants to pass on the right...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imho. The main reason I, like many others attend a mtb "race" is not to compete, but rather to ride somewhere you could not usually ride, spend a day with your mates, use it as an outing for the better halves and spend time outdoors.

Its not about cadence, heart rate, check out my new kit, did you see my last 4 km sprint in 5 mins, my gps says we have an average speed of 32km/h so pick pick it up boys, it not to show off our freshly shaved legs and last but not least it not to have a chop measuring contests.

So to sum it up, if we miss a race, we will go look for another dirt trail that will bring just as much joy and friendship!

Thats exactly what I was thinking last night I will ride a few select races this year, its all about having fun with the occasional bigger race thrown in as long as I already know the riding/ trails will be good.

Are there possibly just too many races now? The sport has grown tremendously.

I won't mention the racing thing again as some hubbers took it way too personal, the one dude has even taken a hiatus since then, so the "racing thing" from my side won't even be debated, till these legends can get over themselves.

But @the OP. not sure what you are expecting to see, we will never see thousands as we do in running, it's pretty easy to pitch at a running event, all you need are your shoes and kit.

Secondly, the races are quite costly of late.

Thirdly the calendar is oversubscribed with events, time for CSA to catch a wake up, the 2 x 24 hour events on the same day was actually a joke, all it did was water down the numbers as well as the level of competition.

For flip sakes, how many events do we really need ?

Lastly, as above, some of us just enjoy spending time on our bikes with mates, and it's a lot more convenient for me to just ride from home and get that extra bonus 1 hour sleep.

I agree on the cost factor! Attending a race costs no less than R500 when I factor in petrol, entry fee and something to eat afterwards!

I can't afford that every second weekend.

I agree on the cost factor! Attending a race costs no less than R500 when I factor in petrol, entry fee and something to eat afterwards!

Snap.

Way out of my level of affordability.

I can only do it once a month or so. Decided to follow the USN Mtb Cup this year,and maybe a big one later in the year. For the rest its just riding where ever. The main focus of this year is to enjoy it and have fun.

Geez, a friend of mine stays in USA (Anaheim/Orange County) one block away from his home they have the most amazing trails, thats all he does. but then again that's what its all about

most of the "racing" takes place on the trail over weekends when you ride with half-wheeling half-wits who think it's a race.

i know someone who has a 29er and only rides it on the road.

maybe it could be price - what does the typical entry fee amount to?

I see no reason to leave home early to attend a race for which I've paid dearly (only to find out it is a shambles), only to have my butt kicked by strangers.. I much rather have my butt kicked by regulars in my vacinity on Strava, cheaply! But then I'm a cheapskate ;)

At least I can go 'attack' those segments at my own time/pleasure/terms

Agree on the cost factor. If you compare it to say a running race you can draw a ton of students and other "Cheap" people whereas as cycling race, especially mtb is out of our league. The question of why they are so expensive has never properly been explained to me though- you don't even have to close roads or give people coke every 3km...

A lot of valid points made. I for one don't want to stand in a queue waiting for single track while straddling my MTB (That's what us mid pack weekend warriors do...) I will enter a race for bragging rights. (Sani Transfrontier, Hill to Hill etc) I reckon bike parks as well as accommodating farmers are getting a lot more prevalent. If you speak nicely to most farmers they will allow you to go for a ride on their farms. We are spoilt for choice here in KZN. Why pay R150 and queue for single track at Karkloof when I can go there any other time, pay a fraction of that and ride at my leisure as many times as I want? R40 at Giba and after a day, I'm all single tracked out! Camperdown has km's of "singletrack" for you to ride. Get a GPS, park at the BP garage and pedal. Waterfall has many developing trails (speak to The Drongo) and the list goes on. It's not all about the racing

MTBing is about the social aspect for me. I would rather ride with a few good mates that with hundreds of whining strangers...

But that is just my few cents worth...

I used to attend almost EVERY event two yeras ago!

Now it's become too expensive & too crowded (i'm not paying good money to stand in a que to wait to ride...)

So what did I do? I used my entry fees and joined 2 x club & trails where i can ride as much as i like for the entire year!!

Lately, i'll pick one or two bigger events (like K2C) and go and enjoy myself on those...

The money saved, goes towards weekends away to other areas where i can cycle new trails!

Do I cycle any less?? Hell no! I cycle more quality places than ever before...

........................... you can draw a ton of students and other "Cheap" people ...

Hahahaha who are all these "other cheap people" getting fit to do running races to save money! Really funny and insulting.

On the question of numbers, its a LOT easier to do a road race and feel good about yourself than it is a mountain bike race; esp for the over 40s.

Thats why more of us do it.

I've done 60-70 road races around the country only now am i half-thinking of doing a mtb event. The standing around at bottlenecks is a huge turn-off.

I'd rather prefer that the races are not too well attended. Take 94.7 for example. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many riders for the course.

As a MTB'er you don't have the luxary of wide open tarred roads. Try fitting in 2000 riders in a single track section - it is just mayhem.

Where are all the fun races? I mean enduro, ds, 4x , eliminator etc. The kind of races where bike skill counts as much as fitness. If I want to prove how much training I have done then I can do the Argus and boast about my time. I wanna have fun on the bike. Enduro racing seems like as close to real mtb riding as I can think of.