Why are MTB races so poorly attended

Natural Defender

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just on the note of losing enjoyment and riding to win;

Last year I was 2nd year U14 and so I was trying to win the league, I pre planned every race, when to eat, where to sit in the bunch due to weather, where to sprint from, when to attack, etc.

Just had everything down to the finest detail and I won.

Now, as a 1st year U16, realistically, I can't beat the 2nd years unless there is some major accident, which would suck.

So now all I do, is eat after a turn at the front, don't attack, sprint when I think it's right and not be too bothered about position.

It's been 2 races so far, and yes, I still want to be in the top few, and my goal is to be the 1st first year at the end of the season, but I've enjoyed both the rides so much more, just going out and riding.

Note: this is road riding but it's the principal.

I have a Brand new carbon 29er , with assos kit, top of the line white mtb shoes. Oakley sunglasses ,a garmin to track my cadence, heart rate, calories burnt and more important than anything my time. So when i see some chop having fun on my singletrack he best move over as i will be coming thru hard and fast. Races are my life. time is my lover and my power meter is my best friend. So to all the average joes out there best u pick up your game. I live my life one race at a time doesnt matter if i win by a half wheel or by a mile a win is a win.

Brilliant pisstake. Also loved "could've been a contender" - Taxi Driver? The Champ? And 5% body fat - now thats anorexic.

Just on the note of losing enjoyment and riding to win;

Last year I was 2nd year U14 and so I was trying to win the league, I pre planned every race, when to eat, where to sit in the bunch due to weather, where to sprint from, when to attack, etc.

Just had everything down to the finest detail and I won.

Now, as a 1st year U16, realistically, I can't beat the 2nd years unless there is some major accident, which would suck.

So now all I do, is eat after a turn at the front, don't attack, sprint when I think it's right and not be too bothered about position.

It's been 2 races so far, and yes, I still want to be in the top few, and my goal is to be the 1st first year at the end of the season, but I've enjoyed both the rides so much more, just going out and riding.

Note: this is road riding but it's the principal.

Very cool post - and was surprised to see you're that young. I've seen a few of your others and you make more sense than most.

Brilliant pisstake. Also loved "could've been a contender" - Taxi Driver? The Champ? And 5% body fat - now thats anorexic.

I agree.

This was my response to his post straight after he posted.

Good post :thumbup:

i think they need to find somewhere in cape town where they can hold enduro/all mountain races(think giant reign; cannondale jekyl and specialized enduro), from what ive seen they look like lots of fun

for Super D: jonkershoek and contermanskloof look like ideal places. Tokai too, if sanparks wasn't such a sad bunch of pricks..

Edited by Capricorn

for Super D: jonkershoek and contermanskloof look like ideal places. Tokai too, if sanparks wasn't such a sad bunch of pricks..

thanks, i just got this giant ac and i want to see what is can do ;) ;)

Here in Bloemfontein the events are quite well attended and people aren't all too serious, which is something that I like. There are a lot of pro's, but mostly weekend warriors having a good time. Luckily the likes of Stevief are limited.

Sure, people like to see themselves doing better times. But people who have all the matching color-coded gear and those who get angry at less experienced riders really are douches, no matter how well they ride.

Marlon Brando "On the waterfront" classic stuff

Imho. The main reason I, like many others attend a mtb "race" is not to compete, but rather to ride somewhere you could not usually ride, spend a day with your mates, use it as an outing for the better halves and spend time outdoors.

Its not about cadence, heart rate, check out my new kit, did you see my last 4 km sprint in 5 mins, my gps says we have an average speed of 32km/h so pick pick it up boys, it not to show off our freshly shaved legs and last but not least it not to have a chop measuring contests.

So to sum it up, if we miss a race, we will go look for another dirt trail that will bring just as much joy and friendship!

Exactly, well said!