Adder

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that got a response.

Let's clear some things up:

1. I did work at another Hout Bay bike shop as a mechanic, I am an Architect and was suffering from burn out and taking a year off, It was a cool thing to do for that year.

2. I left that shop at end June 2011, my year was up, batteries recharged and time to move on.

3. Desmond knows me well enough to know the above, and full well I am not involved "with running a competing bike shop".

4. When CC opened in Hout Bay, I was one of the first in line to go there, shake hands and wish them all the best.

5. It was standard practice in the UK bike shops i frequented to wash every bike that came in through the door. Apart from the courtesy, how can you work on a dirty bike?

6. I received legal advice from my insurers recommending that I not accept the stolen then recovered Colnago. Also that I was legally entitled to either a brand new exact replacement, or failing that a complete refund. My reply to them, which I copied to Desmond was that I didn't want to put a new business under that kind of pressure and was happy to take the bike, with it's clearance document.

7. The bike was missing for 7 days between being stolen and being recovered.

8. All my statements in my OP are fact, and have been recorded as the events unfolded in communication with my insurers and their legal department.

9. As for an Alias? I don't see anybody using their real name here.

10. As for hiding? Why hide from the truth.

11. Afraid? Of What.

Yes I was pissed off when I posted, still pissed off now.

This is the "Rant & Rave" section isn't it?

Or did I stray into the "Please Play By Our Rules & Don't Offend Anyone By Speaking Your Mind And Upsetting Our Friends" section

Many of us have our real names on our profiles.

Many of us have our real names on our profiles.

What difference will it make ?

Most people on here have internet persona's twice the size of the Petronas towers.

The OP still has a right to create a thread.

As I said, it could easily be seen as malicious, but I really doubt this being the case here.

Edited by Dangle

Generic action is normally without melodrama, so in short,no.

Wasn't talking to you, back in stoep chair! With seatbelt . . . :P

What difference will it make ?

Most people on here have internet persona's twice the size of the Petronas towers.

The OP still has a right to create a thread.

As I said, it could easily be seen as malicious, but I really doubt this being the case here.

Agreed. And he has stated his case and clarified things.

Concur on the personas.

Was just pointing out that while we use nicks, some members aren't anonymous.

Wow, that got a response.

Let's clear some things up:

1. I did work at another Hout Bay bike shop as a mechanic, I am an Architect and was suffering from burn out and taking a year off, It was a cool thing to do for that year.

2. I left that shop at end June 2011, my year was up, batteries recharged and time to move on.

3. Desmond knows me well enough to know the above, and full well I am not involved "with running a competing bike shop".

4. When CC opened in Hout Bay, I was one of the first in line to go there, shake hands and wish them all the best.

5. It was standard practice in the UK bike shops i frequented to wash every bike that came in through the door. Apart from the courtesy, how can you work on a dirty bike?

6. I received legal advice from my insurers recommending that I not accept the stolen then recovered Colnago. Also that I was legally entitled to either a brand new exact replacement, or failing that a complete refund. My reply to them, which I copied to Desmond was that I didn't want to put a new business under that kind of pressure and was happy to take the bike, with it's clearance document.

7. The bike was missing for 7 days between being stolen and being recovered.

8. All my statements in my OP are fact, and have been recorded as the events unfolded in communication with my insurers and their legal department.

10. As for hiding? Why hide from the truth.

11. Afraid? Of What.

Yes I was pissed off when I posted, still pissed off now.

This is the "Rant & Rave" section isn't it?

Or did I stray into the "Please Play By Our Rules & Don't Offend Anyone By Speaking Your Mind And Upsetting Our Friends" section

Oh dear, Desmond

This is getting uncomfortable to watch.

Where is my popcorn.

Always the same and always amusing: The OP rants, most people make up their minds and takes the OP's side, then the implicated party respond and the OP becomes the baddy, then the OP replies and becomes the poor victim again, the implicated opens up a bit more,....the issue is resolved and the monster cookies becomes Tennis biscuits with Koffiehuis.

Agreed. And he has stated his case and clarified things.

Concur on the personas.

Was just pointing out that while we use nicks, some members aren't anonymous.

Dat R true.

Wasn't talking to you, back in stoep chair! With seatbelt . . . :P

I know, just stirring da pot :w00t:

Just had a series of poor experiences with Complete Cyclist Hout Bay which i need to vent.

I'm just going to list them without too much emotion getting in the way:

2. Bike was built up, and paid for. I asked if they could keep it for me until my home security had been upgraded as per new insurance conditions. I took the bike to work to 'show it off' and checked it back in with them later that same day. I received a call from them the next day to inform me that they'd had a break in and my bike was missing. And that my insurance should cover it.(!?). I made it clear that i was not claiming from my insurance. We started discussing a replacement bike. No Colnago of my size left, no Fulcrum 3 wheels available for 4 weeks. A week passes of discussing possible solutions, then I go into the shop to find my Colnago has been recovered and is hanging in the wash bay. Total calls from them to me: 0

Hmmm, I am going to bang on this drum a little longer.

In my opinion as has been noted, most everyone who comments in the support role is either a client of the shop, knows the owner personally or often both..........hardly possible for an objective view in that situation.

Fortunately, I am neither.

In my view, if you make one post or 10000 it makes no difference, I read each post and base my view on the content, not how many times the person has posted. Why on earth would post count matter.? Everyone starts somewhere.

.....but, back to the point, reading the OP's post as highlighted, (and I summerise) he was told his bike was "missing" in a theft and its suggested he claim from his insurers, he refused, a new deal was busy been negotiated and then (as per his second post) when he arrived at the shop 7 days later, .......... the bike was hanging in the wash bay??.

The shop in my opinion did not address this very pertinent point at all, and I think they should, a bike is hardly something you misplace in your sock drawer and recover, to your surprise, a week later!.

If I were the shop I would be keen to (i) dispel the allegation or (ii) explain how / where they managed to find said "missing" bike, and if it was reported "missing" and later recovered to the police.

Leaving this very pertinent suggestion dangling in the air leaves people no option but to create their own interpretation of events,...... and as we all know that is never a good thing.

The rest of the OP's post in my opinion is inconsequential.

I cant help but find all of this amusing :P

Indeed.

I think the best part is he worked at a bike shop as a mechanic and can't do a tubeless conversion. No wonder his batteries are "recharged"

he was told his bike was "missing" in a theft and its suggested he claim from his insurers, he refused, a new deal was busy been negotiated and then (as per his second post) when he arrived at the shop 7 days later, .......... the bike was hanging in the wash bay??.

The shop in my opinion did not address this very pertinent point at all, and I think they should, a bike is hardly something you misplace in your sock drawer and recover, to your surprise, a week later!.

If I were the shop I would be keen to (i) dispel the allegation or (ii) explain how / where they managed to find said "missing" bike, and if it was reported "missing" and later recovered to the police.

Pulling up chair and reaching for the munchies at this sudden but interesting shift of emphasis ... Friday afternoon CSI Hout Bay anyone? (Cycle Scene Investigation of course)