Open Water Swimming - Help....

LukeV-2

So I'm doing my first triathlon on sunday and I've only swam once in the open water and it didnt go down to well.. Any tips guys??

How do you see where you are going all the time, I always ended up going off course..

How do i save my energy for the cycle and the run..

How do i go about dealing with hundreds of others around me?

I dont want to win, I just want to finish. If i can get through the swim its basically smooth sailing from there.

How much time do i get for 750m?

This is a challenge for, some people are probably gonna laugh.

Someone please help.

Just freaking out a bit.. haha

Edited by Fruity

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Water wings.

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PCH5621.jpg

Then you can float a bit. Recover some energy, and get your directions sorted.

Edited by TNT1

Start at the back and take it easy, focus on your own rhythm and ignore the rest of the field

Edited by Gillie

haha.. smart ass..

I actually have my son's old ones. You can borrow them if you like.

Fruity, my first tri swim in open water was a mess, took almost 25 minutes to swim 600m ! The "washing machine" messed me up... The next week I did another tri... my 600m swim took me 12 minutes, just because I knew what was coming and what not to do (panic).

Enjoy !

ok cool i'll keep that in mind G.. Not too worried about time.. so ja, will just take it easy and chill out..

1. Stay away from the bouys

2. Find some feet to follow (look for bubbles) and stick to them

3. Concentrate on a long easy stroke

Ignore all my advice, I'm a *** swimmer too!

Try to stay Calm, the worst is to be panicky, focus on yourself not the other people.

I dont agree with starting the swim at the back rather start out wide from the first bouy and easy toward it, there will in any case be less people out wide. This will give you enough confidence to have a easy start and then you can face the masses.

If someone bumps/ pulls etc remember they are just also probably panicking so move away dont get physical.it's not worth it.

Find some feet and stay behind them or next to them on their hips or legs, actually better drafting that way I hear.

Stay in a rythm, if you are in open water then yes a long stroke helps but in the sea a choppy shorter stronger stroke is better.

As u near the end start kicking a bit more to prepare your legs for the vertical.

Most of all dont PANIC stay focussed and keep on telling yourself you are relaxed and calm, focus on the stroke and the rest will not be a bother.

Good Luck

Thanks Wheelsuck, seems like quite wise words there.. Seems the key is to not panic and stay calm and concentrate on the rhythm.

So I'm doing my first triathlon on sunday and I've only swam once in the open water and it didnt go down to well.. Any tips guys??

Q: How do you see where you are going all the time, I always ended up going off course..

A: If the buoys are quite small and hard to see, before the start and as you go around each buoy look for a landmark (tree, building, something that’s easy to see) behind or roughly in line with the next buoy, it’s easier to swim towards a bigger landmark that you can see easily than some small buoys.

Q: How do i save my energy for the cycle and the run..

A: Make sure you warm up in the water before the start, and don’t sprint for the 1st buoy.

Be prepared that you might feel a bit light headed by the time you reach the transition area, usually when you’re trying to stand on one leg putting your shoes on

Q:How do i go about dealing with hundreds of others around me?

A: Start on the outside edge of all the swimmers, stay away from the inside “line” especialy for the 1st buoy as you get closer to the end you can swim closer to the buoys depending on the amount of other swimmers around you.

A warm up swim before the start will go a long way to helping you relax and to get into a rhythm from the start.

Keep a decent space between yourself and people swimming breaststroke (breast stroke kick is out sidewards and can hurt), this often happens when going around buoys.