2012 Ironman

GSNieP

Well done to anyone who competed yesterday to persist and finish in those conditions says alot about your character

I stood in the cold from 5 am yesterday morning till my last mate finished at about 10 last night and i am stuffed today

Its guys and girls like you that make IM the event it is. Thank you so much.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great display of support from the PE community for the Ironman SA event - German PRO athlete Michael Wetzel on Monday was hit by a vehicle while on the bike. His frame was broken in 7 places, while he suffered some bruises and scratches. At 1.97m tall, finding a replacement frame in time for the race nearly sank Mike's race, but local businessman Victor Momsen came to the party by supplying a frame on loan allowing Mike to race and continue his chase for Kona points! Thank you Victor!

581350_10150828722749459_150898279458_11574469_1219689650_n.jpg

What a great display of support from the PE community for the Ironman SA event - German PRO athlete Michael Wetzel on Monday was hit by a vehicle while on the bike. His frame was broken in 7 places, while he suffered some bruises and scratches. At 1.97m tall, finding a replacement frame in time for the race nearly sank Mike's race, but local businessman Victor Momsen came to the party by supplying a frame on loan allowing Mike to race and continue his chase for Kona points! Thank you Victor!

Got to meet this guy and what an inspiration. Had a 5 min conversation with him and he didn't moan or complain about a thing. I spoke to him about the accident and said he was fine showed me his graze on his arm and had a huge bruise on the left thigh.

While supporting him yesterday he always rewarded our crowd with a smile.

I also saw his frame and think he is lucky to be walking never mind him competing in the Ironmam

Congrats to all the guys and girls that finished in yesterdays crazy conditions.

@mrmed,are you still doing Comrades?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is I'm riding Joburg2c this / next week, then I'm going to see if my knee niggle settles down before I make a final decisions, but I'm 99 % sure it will be ok.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is I'm riding Joburg2c this / next week, then I'm going to see if my knee niggle settles down before I make a final decisions, but I'm 99 % sure it will be ok.

Good luck

With the worst weather at any Ironman in PE - I finished!

The day started with rain, 1st lap of swim was ok with sea relatively calm but by 2nd lap the gale force wind had come creating swells & choppy sea, I must have swallowed at least a litre of water & 2 times I took whole mouth fulls, needless to say I was nausious & almost threw up,

The bike, well gale force head winds and almost got blown off bike about 12 times - it was insane, the run - well the wind remained and at about 3 times it rained hard, I have never been so cold dispite having 3 layers on - at end I was mildly hypothermic - but I made it - I am a real IRONMAN who cut his teeth on the worst one they have had to date - even the pros say that - wow what a feeling - knees r soar but everything else is ok.

Apparently there where gusts of 80km measured on day

With the worst weather at any Ironman in PE - I finished!

The day started with rain, 1st lap of swim was ok with sea relatively calm but by 2nd lap the gale force wind had come creating swells & choppy sea, I must have swallowed at least a litre of water & 2 times I took whole mouth fulls, needless to say I was nausious & almost threw up,

The bike, well gale force head winds and almost got blown off bike about 12 times - it was insane, the run - well the wind remained and at about 3 times it rained hard, I have never been so cold dispite having 3 layers on - at end I was mildly hypothermic - but I made it - I am a real IRONMAN who cut his teeth on the worst one they have had to date - even the pros say that - wow what a feeling - knees r soar but everything else is ok.

Apparently there where gusts of 80km measured on day

Yip, 83km/h wind! Insane :eek:

Downloaded my Garmin 910XT IRONMAN race data and according to the watch I swam 4.8km?! This can’t be! It will however include the beach start and run to T1

*confused*

Yeah, very tough day out on my 1st attempt.. but happy I finished in one piece! :blink: (1 hr off my estimate .. Bike is obviously where the time went)

@ GSNieP - I measured the swim on my Garmin at 4.91km (in total) :eek:

another guy I was chatting too, measured 5.1km on his garmin!

will be back next yr !!

Yeah, very tough day out on my 1st attempt.. but happy I finished in one piece! :blink: (1 hr off my estimate .. Bike is obviously where the time went)

@ GSNieP - I measured the swim on my Garmin at 4.91km (in total) :eek:

another guy I was chatting too, measured 5.1km on his garmin!

will be back next yr !!

This year’s IRONMAN was not about times, it was about finishing and surviving the elements thrown at us during the whole day and night!

Edited by GSNieP

Tough Day, PE crowd was amazing.

Saw a guy getting DQed about 1.5km from the finish for outside assistance when his friend (not competitor) ran with him-now that is heartbreaking.

I am all for rules but the way the refs talk/shout at athlete's was the only negative.

Tough Day, PE crowd was amazing.

Saw a guy getting DQed about 1.5km from the finish for outside assistance when his friend (not competitor) ran with him-now that is heartbreaking.

I am all for rules but the way the refs talk/shout at athlete's was the only negative.

There are one or two of them that seem to get off on DQ athletes.The majority are there for the sport and understand that age groupers are not pro athletes and make mistakes. I saw a female ref DQ a lady for dropping her peak. Boy did she enjoy showing off her position of power to everyone.It is people like her that chase others away from the sport.But I must stress that the poor refs are in the minority and they do make huge sacrifices to be out there.

Would like to know the stats of DNF's, DQ etc.

I am told 1553 starters. 240 DNF. 88% finished. The lowest ever. 28 missed swim cut-off. 154 quit after the bike.”

average swim time 1.37 for men. 1.38 for women. Bike avg: 6.40 for men. 7.04 for women. 5.03 avg mens run. 5.09 avg ladies.”

The oldest woman to finish Ironman SA this year is 62 and the oldest guy is 69years. Woweee"