Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

I vote for "fridge magnets"! I actually had to go buy a few the other day and they were expensive!

I have the fridge magnet from a race I did in 2000, the 5km water point was a beer stop. Unfortunately the race no longer includes the beer stop for legal reasons (drinking in public or something)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have declined all but 1 medal in the last 3 years.

They have no value to me, and my loved one throws them away if I take them home anyway.

The Idea of a free photo per event excites me a lot more.

Or the key ring/bottle opener

Just incase an organiser is reading this.

Oh, and I'm a user, just saying

Photos are just as pointless, they all look the same

If they were so meaningless why do you still keep boxes full of them, With all due respect, this kind of waters your opinion down a bit don't you think?

I'm sure when you started out you were very keen on the medal.

Hub arguments are so predictable - how did we know you were going to ask that? I stopped taking medals a few years ago when I realised they are little more than cupboard space cloggers.

I still take a few - if the medal is really pretty or it is a limited edition etc. My super special few dangle from the shelf next to my indoor trainer.

I understand that people attach value to different things at different stages in their life - ie: someone loese loads of weight and finishes their first mtb race - medal has high value - same race two years later when they're a suprt fit race snake exactly the same medal has no meaning.

Personally I reckon finishers "token" is a fine idea - medals are for winner. My opinion - yours may differ...

Agree medals are for winners and seeing as I consider myself a winner in every race I enter I will keep my medals thanks!!

Hub arguments are so predictable - how did we know you were going to ask that? I stopped taking medals a few years ago when I realised they are little more than cupboard space cloggers.

I still take a few - if the medal is really pretty or it is a limited edition etc. My super special few dangle from the shelf next to my indoor trainer.

I understand that people attach value to different things at different stages in their life - ie: someone loese loads of weight and finishes their first mtb race - medal has high value - same race two years later when they're a suprt fit race snake exactly the same medal has no meaning.

Personally I reckon finishers "token" is a fine idea - medals are for winner. My opinion - yours may differ...

I'm not arguing with you, My point is just that they have some meaning to people so lets try not to discourage that.

If you think keeping medals is ridiculous, Don't read further

I even keep my bike boards and stick them to my braai room fridge, I think it looks cool it's cool to see how many K's I've done.

Nobody wants to take others' medals away, just it would be nice to have less waste for those of us who don't place as much emphasis on them. If only 1/3 of the field wanted medals, would there be any reasonable effect on the cost? We already get a choice of ordering a shirt (sometimes) so why not medals?

If you want a lot of medals do one of those 24h spinning marathon thingies. You get a medal every hour. I kid you not.

I actually found some more medals, of some running races I did last year. Was uber chuffed.

Was packed away in a box when we moved us.

I say keep and cherish your medal. Will be good to show off to the kids one day.

If you think keeping medals is ridiculous, Don't read further

I even keep my bike boards and stick them to my braai room fridge, I think it looks cool it's cool to see how many K's I've done.

You must have a HUGE fridge or not race very much!!!!!

I reckon have a "want medal?" box on pre entry then add 15% extra medals cos there would be some dumbass nubbins that would click no and take a medal anyway...

Only pre entries get medals....

You must have a HUGE fridge or not race very much!!!!!

a prime example of just letting be, well done.

Simmer down old chap - it was a comment without malice or judgement. I reckon my peer group would fill a fridge in a year despite SAS and co.

Medals should be chocolate wrapped in gold foil, that way you can either keep them or eat them.

Another race, another meaningless medal. That piece of metal they give you in a little plastic packet with your lucky draw numbers is the last thing I think of when I enter a race. They are a waste of my money and totally meaningless. The guy sweating over 60km gets the same medal as the guy doing the 10km fun ride ( equality for all, I get it), handed to them by a disinterested volunteer as they cut your number board off your bike.

What is the point! These things cost money and as far as I am concerned, rather get a representative of the charity the ride may support and hand them a cheque for an amount the medals cost to make. Or give me a button during the oline entry process ("Medal", "Support Charity X" or "Entry discount")

I just want to ride the events because I enjoy them, what the hell do I need a medal for? It's not like I single handedly rescued 10 mountain bikers pinned down by enemy fire, with a Gu and a cable tie!

I got one this morning at Franschhoek and will get another one tomorrow morning. Medals are reserved for Places 1,2 and 3. Why should I get a medal for coming 20th or 210th! Is my achievement being recognised and rewared by the organisers? Hardly!

Tomorrow after the Rollercoaster I will refuse my medal, I don't know why I didn't think of this before! Must have been the Sheep gene which takes over at the Finish.

No more medals for me.

Aren't there enought charities already? Yopu go and donate your money, I'll take the medal! Charities are already provided for when you race. think of your medal as a thank you from all those poor kids and animals.

Agree . It is my money and I decide what I want to do with it ! Give me my bloody medal . What I do with it is not your concern !

Aren't there enought charities already? Yopu go and donate your money, I'll take the medal! Charities are already provided for when you race. think of your medal as a thank you from all those poor kids and animals.

How about a pair of socks with the race name and year instead of a medal? Socks are always useful and you can show off your prowess at the same time.

How about a pair of socks with the race name and year instead of a medal? Socks are always useful and you can show off your prowess at the same time.

:clap: