Chain dropping on descents

HowellingWulf

Hi Hubbers.

I recently became the proud owner of a Niner RIP 9. It handles and rides like a dream... That is until the chain drops off the chain rings. This usually happens whilst descending. Can anybody give me some insight as to why this is happening and how to go about rectifying it. I'm running SRAM X9 2x10. Tension in the chain seems fine, the limit screws on the FD is at the correct settings and the gap between the big chain ring and the FD is about a matchstick's width. Not sure what else to look for...

If you can, please refrain from posting things along the lines of it is be happening because it are a 29er. :)

Thank in advance!

I've been told you can avoid this by shifting up the casette on the descent - it prevents the derailleur from flexing and the chain from bouncing around whilst you're free wheeling over the bumps.

I've been told you can avoid this by shifting up the casette on the descent - it prevents the derailleur from flexing and the chain from bouncing around whilst you're free wheeling over the bumps.

Thanks LL, Already tried this - big on cassette and chain ring. It did not work :(

I've had the same issue when descending at speed and not being in the smalles cog at the back....shifting down to the smallest cog at the back seems to have done the trick

I heard(read somewhere on the hub) that there were some SRAM RD's that had "weak" springs and they know about it but has not issued a recall.....maybe check with SRAM if your RD is one of them.

I heard(read somewhere on the hub) that there were some SRAM RD's that had "weak" springs and they know about it but has not issued a recall.....maybe check with SRAM if your RD is one of them.

Cool, will have a look

Is the chain not too long?

Did not seem too long. Will slap it on the stand over the weekend

Ask Andy if they came up with a solution yet.

His was dropping on an ascent. ;)

not sure if it applies but there was also a thread here regarding the 2012 sram stuff and there was chat about chain dropping on sram fd etc.

maybe have a look there and see if anyone has insight

His was dropping on an ascent. ;)

Your right, my bad!

Luckily the Tour is not lost on decents so you have nothing to worry about ;)

Lance even took a shortcut through a field on a hairy decent and still won!

Not sure if I'm oversimplifying this, but if your front derailleur is giving you problems there are two limit screws which are designed to fix this. Set them correctly and you won't need a safety net for your chain.

Got the same issue. Running X0 2X10. Not sure what the problem is. My older chain was worn and have replaced that and it seems to have helped but not stopped completely. Not sure if it is a tensioning issue.

Yes,he now rides Shimano DI2 ;)

Everybody's favourite remedial groupset. If you can't change gear you must take the weight penalty. Oh and your mechanic doesn't need to know how to set gears now either :clap:

Shorten the chain or buy a derailer with a stonger spring. One reason that SRAM feels like it shifts so easily is there is little tension to overcome when shifting.