[Event] Medallion Tour De Stellenbosch

medallioncyclerace

One of the U16's touched wheels up Helz, this was already the top 8, he was in 6th, so he crashes, me and another guy take evasive action which involved us swerving all over the road.

So then we get dropped because of the gap, so it's now 3 upfront from an earlier break, 6 in the "main bunch" 2 in the 2nd bunch on the road (me and this other guy) and then the guy who crashed (JC Jantjies)

By the top of helz I've dropped the one guy, caught 2 from the break, and JC came flying past me.

Rode the rest of the ride with one of the guys from the break, who refused to work at all, so I paced from 20-60km by myself, no one caught us, we passed the last person from the break, and low and behold, I get out sprinted after working for 45km.

Finished with a 1:59 so can't really complain, think I was 8th.

Enjoyed it though, great training :lol:

nice comeback was that the Long or short route?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice comeback was that the Long or short route?

Short, if it was the long...well, I would have probably sat up and waited for the bunch...

Also did the short route have to wake up way to early to drive from Ceres to do the long route. Three of us broke away up Helz and managed to stay away. One guy got dropped on the last climb and the other guy (stick insect) dropped me 500 m before the mats came in second at 1H55.

@Zac.A

Similar wheel overlapping on the same climb in your group, as I remember?

The last time was Tour de PPA...

Glad you're okay!

My bags are packed and I'm ready to go. well almost just need to sleep. 1st fun Ride in years. Have to ride...

Did you kick some azzz, Big J?

Think I saw them next to the road at the T junction after Pniel.

I shouted your name and you were in the zone, placed in the middle of the group.

Saw udxcob bringing up the rear, planning his post-Helz strategy.

Edited by ' Dale

Hi everyone, if anyone found keys just a car key and the immobilizer on a key ring, please would you inbox me as my dad lost the car keys. roughly at the 2nd last water point.

thanks

All the opening bunches I saw today - cruising in the opposite direction on Simondiumpad - had a breakaway bunch and one or few chasing bunches...

Helz will do that.

Nope, him and 'Dale did a Franschoek pass training ride. Think I saw them next to the road at the T junction after Pniel.

@ Tiny! Did you do the race today?

That was us ja - cheering you guys on :thumbup:

@Zac.A

Similar wheel overlapping on the same climb in your group, as I remember?

The last time was Tour de PPA...

Glad you're okay!

Yup, pretty much exactly the same.

I shouted your name and you were in the zone, placed in the middle of the group.

Saw udxcob bringing up the rear, planning his post-Helz strategy.

Heard you guys, but as you rightly say, was in the zone. Did not want to overlap wheels or something else similarly stupid just after the turn, so I did not have time to respond.

Race went a lot better than last year. Second race in a row that I owned Hels. :clap: Sat with the guys with ease up Hels, did not feel once that I was overextending. :whistling:

How did your training ride go?

Edited by Wannabe

Heard you guys, but as you rightly say, was in the zone. Did not want to overlap wheels or something else similarly stupid just after the turn, so I did not have time to respond.

Race went a lot better than last year. Second race in a row that I owned Hels. :clap: Sat with the guys with ease up Hels, did not feel once that I was overextending. :whistling:

How did your training ride go?

Went good. Skipped the pass for some iced cappuccino's and headed back. Head wind was a killer on the way there but was a welcomed push on the way back - no real red line stuff but averaged 29Km/h over 89Km.

What a great day...fantastic weather! Started off going up Helz at a moderate speed, not wanting to burn the legs to early, but we managed to drop a few wheel suckers. Heard people screaming somewhere coming down where Tiny K and Dale was parked! Thnx for cheering on...overall the bunch worked well, been in the front a lot putting the hammer down with Ross, Shaheen, David, Nicholas and Brandon, there was a crash on the Agter Paarl Road, cyclist touched wheels, Sharl, hope you recover soon man! We kept a nice pace, not sure what the average was, as we hit the R304 I started planning my race strategy....as coming into Stellenbosch where we turned right I made my move, but the bunch just didnt want to let go where we caught some leading league riders (think it was senior scholars), we overtook them, made a few more moves in that last 15km stretch. As we turned Left at the robot where Spier is we got a climb, done a slight attack there to test the legs of the bunch (and mine)...recovering with a moderate speed, then when we turned left onto the R44, I knew this is my chance, Brandon made his move, Nicholas overtook him and I was holding onto the wheel...knowing this is a hilltop finish with 1.5km of climbing, I shifted into big blade and pedalled as hard as I can sprinting as fast as possible (I aint the mountain goat type so I really tried my best) sprint felt like forever...last 100m comes, legs and lungs is burning...gave it my all and took 3rd place over the line. Overall a awesome race!

Note: No one crossed the white line and they all were cycling very responsible!

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Went good. Skipped the pass for some iced cappuccino's and headed back. Head wind was a killer on the way there but was a welcomed push on the way back - no real red line stuff but averaged 29Km/h over 89Km.

:thumbup:

Did you kick some azzz, Big J?

Dale had a great ride till Kyamandi, when I picked up a massive brown stable (from box) puncture. At this time my Ave was 38km. So I dont mind change the tube, bomb it. Pssssssss goes down again. So put another tube and Bomb it. Pssssssssss. So sat on wall watching okes come flying past. One of the League guys I know stopped and gave me a bomb and tube. Then rode back to fininsh. Quite funny rode back with most of the guys and girls I started with in M. So have no idea what my time was. Will have to wait for Racetec. Hopefully next week goes better. Have to replace the tyre though.