Ride for Sight

TNT1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super race, thoroughly well organised. Toilet paper at the start would have been nice, though :unsure: Thanks to those concerned.

Overall was good event and well organized, but I have to reiterate what Scotty said... From about 12:30 it appeared many (most) of the foot marshals stepped down, and us "back markers" (5 hour finishers from KL start bunch) were left to our own devices. Also, on suffering to the end there was only blue powerade at the finish water table (thanks to my fellow rider who had a water sachet left in his pocket that he gave me) AND the physios had packed up :-( really could've done with a leg rub after soloing most of the race.

The biggest danger the whole way was the riders themselves. Pushing for position 4999 or whatever :-( Seriously guys, if you aren't in the front bunches there is no need to shove and push. If you pass someone, keep going. Don't slow down then veer right as soon as they end up trying to pass you now that you are blocking them. I witnessed the main pack of KL riders spread over the whole road with someone screaming "d*ckhead!" at a car that was trying to pass. Seriously dude, the only ones of those we're the riders nowhere remotely near the racing bunches riding all over the road! No wonder drivers hate cycling events - the back markers ride all over the road with their misguided pretentious of being racers. It was just easier and less stressful riding alone.

I hope all the injured people heal up soon. There was a very bad multiple pile-up that us KLs passed a couple of km into the event. The state of the one lady brought back some very bad memories based on photos i saw of my 'Shova crash. At least she was conscious. Hope her injuries are not as bad as they looked.

Super race, thoroughly well organised. Toilet paper at the start would have been nice, though :unsure: Thanks to those concerned.

The toilet paper came at 7h05.. single ply.. eish :oops:

Great race.. Berg to Dale next weekend!

The main bunch of tandems have been very inconsiderate and just left us… :eek:

- 5 lonely tandems to do the whole route all on our own.

Sorry - we promise we'll try to never do that again ... :blush:

lekker ride. My first long r4s in ages.superb marshalling an presence on the road. Suffered jusr after the reserve entrance,but found my legs before heidelberg.

Some pigs on the road with goo and water sachets everywhere. Some of the aunties on the back of social tandems are the main culprits.

Thank you to all the cyclists that participated, we had an awesome day out on the motorcycles. An absolute pleasure and honour to look after you on the road. We had 30 Marshals out on the route, some leading and some doing patrols, we are privilaged to have helped those that was involved in some crashes, as well as giving assistance fixing a flat tyre, or helping with some water.

We had the EMPD Bike Squad with us at the race, thank you to Inspector Van Wyk and his team on the bikes assisting with the leading on the licensed bunches. A privilage to have worked with you once again.

We hope to see you again at the "Berge en Dale" as well as the "Carnival City Macsteel Race."

Thank you for all the kind words, I shall pass them along the the team.

Jasper

Thank you to all the cyclists that participated, we had an awesome day out on the motorcycles. An absolute pleasure and honour to look after you on the road. We had 30 Marshals out on the route, some leading and some doing patrols, we are privilaged to have helped those that was involved in some crashes, as well as giving assistance fixing a flat tyre, or helping with some water.

We had the EMPD Bike Squad with us at the race, thank you to Inspector Van Wyk and his team on the bikes assisting with the leading on the licensed bunches. A privilage to have worked with you once again.

We hope to see you again at the "Berge en Dale" as well as the "Carnival City Macsteel Race."

Jasper

A special thank you to the ER24 & EMPD marshals that looked after the %, VC & BL groups who rode as one huge bunch for a large portion of the route, taking up the whole road (VC & BL were never untangled). If it wasn't for you guys who pushed the oncoming traffic off the road it could have become quite tragic.

Jasper

Thumbs up to your marshals, i saw a guy ahead of me with a puncture, one of your marshals stopped and out of bag he was carrying he took out a tube and helped the guy.

Jasper

:clap: :thumbup:

I really enjoyed this one! Consistently one of (if not the) best races in Joburg I think...

My only bit of drama was losing touch with the front of E bunch after a truck got in amongst us as I think it was stopping at a water point around 76km.. We were mixed in amongst some D's and C's and realised a little too late that a few from E had slipped off the front... A futile short chase followed before we gave up on that and settled into a nice group of 10 or 15 or so...

All in all a good day out and (hopefully) a nice boost for my seeding (just a little late for Argus though...)

Oh, and thanks to all the Marshalls - great job out there today esp on the intersections.

Edited by dracs

I did the 62km, but entered late and ended up in FS. I really enjoyed the race, but the FS group was a bit erratic at the beginning until groups started to form. I really thankful for the group of 8 guys (I remember one guy being in greenOffice kit and another in yellow/green kit) or so who came past and let me in; without that group I would have ended up doing the first 30kms on my own. After the turnaround I lost the group and eventually joined up with a group being led by two guys on MTBs in green Get Amongst It (or something) shirts, and that group really helped.

The roads were very well managed, as opposed to Emperors Palace. I didn't feel unsafe at any time and the presence of the marshalls was quite reassuring. There were quite a few accidents, though. I was speaking to a guy who had done the race a few times before and he commented that there weren't as many accidents in previous years. Fortunately all of the injured cyclists were being helped and looked alright.

I'll definitely do it again next year.

As we started (VC group) there was an accident where are white car was on the grass verge with a seriuosly damged roof, hope there was not a cyclist involved? someone on the floor was being taken care of by 2 paramedics. Does anyone know what happened?

The roads were very well managed, as opposed to Emperors Palace. I didn't feel unsafe at any time and the presence of the marshalls was quite reassuring. There were quite a few accidents, though. I was speaking to a guy who had done the race a few times before and he commented that there weren't as many accidents in previous years. Fortunately all of the injured cyclists were being helped and looked alright.

I'll definitely do it again next year.

Thanks.

Definitely less accidents than previous years.

awesome ride, thanks to all the marshalls, you all did a brilliant job and race is always so well organised, definitely a highlight in my calender.

BIG thanks to Dischem for an aaaaaaamazing Goodie Bag - wish all other race sponsors could give such amazing goodie bag.... makes the high entry fees sooo worth while