Rugby...

'Dale

There are going to be 2, or even 3 sides to this story. Until we know all the facts ( if we ever do ), then got to take it at face value. Frans has withdrawn for undisclosed reasons. End of! No point speculating, or making sweeping comments or judgements.

Will we miss him on Saturday, and going forward ? For sure we will.

With all due respect - other than an injury if he was not totally committed from the beginning then he should not have joined the squad or allowed them to train and practice with him and rather given JS a start and given another centre an opportunity to get experience with the squad. Now compare him to the first choice number 12. Team comes first, body on the line, plays out of his position when required, has humility, plays every game likes its his last .... doesn't use the boks to drive his personal agenda. Doesn't pick and choice when he wants to play

What next - all the players are going to strike .... coz that whats it is. Im not getting want I want so ill withdraw and leave my team mates hanging.

The face value is he has shown how he values being a bok ...... not for the first time.

He already stated its not the environment, team mates or coach ......

Edited by JGR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He played 26 tests between 2009 and 2012....

Not sure if the link work but you can look it up on espnscrum

http://www.espnscrum...ayer;view=match

I actually kind of agree with your last throw-away comment (KP) - he does seem to be a complex character and this is not the first time he had issues with the national coach.

I stand corrected ... although that is not the full roster for 4 years

With all due respect - other than an injury if he was not totally committed from the beginning then he should not have joined the squad or allowed them to train and practice with him and rather given JS a start and given another centre an opportunity to get experience with the squad. Now compare him to the first choice number 12. Team comes first, body on the line, plays out of his position when required, has humility, plays every game likes its his last .... doesn't use the boks to drive his personal agenda. Doesn't pick and choice when he wants to play

What next - all the players are going to strike .... coz that whats it is. Im not getting want I want so ill withdraw and leave my team mates hanging.

The face value is he has shown how he values being a bok ...... not for the first time.

He already stated its not the environment, team mates or coach ......

Nope, can't assume any of that to be fact until it's officially stated as such. How do any of us know what's gone on to get to this? Whether he can nail a drop from 60 or from 6, or if he's your favourite player or your least, still don't know enough to make judgement IMO.

Frans has withdrawn for undisclosed reasons. End of! No point speculating, or making sweeping comments or judgements.

Nope, can't assume any of that to be fact until it's officially stated as such. ...... still don't know enough to make judgement IMO.

If one of the best players in the team suddenly withdraw without explanation, it's inevitable that there will be speculation, discussion, judgement etc. Otherwise these threads would be very boring...

must say - this does make you wonder what is actually going on in the bok camp....I am sure the process of bringing back dinosaurs into the squad, 3rd and 4th rate scrumhalves and obscure pdi caps will have an impact on the morale of the squad. I am half surprised chilliboy has not been called into the squad while he sits out his doping ban

Nope, can't assume any of that to be fact until it's officially stated as such. How do any of us know what's gone on to get to this? Whether he can nail a drop from 60 or from 6, or if he's your favourite player or your least, still don't know enough to make judgement IMO.

He is quoted as saying the environment is great, likes the coach and he is playing so is not injured. There is no speculation about that as those are fact - as stated by the person concerned.

"The environment in the Springbok squad is fantastic and I would like to state categorically that my relationship with Heyneke Meyer, the rest of the management and my teammates is very good," said Steyn in the statement.

Now I ask you - do you think it is fair that he disrupts the entire team during a series. If he has stated he is happy with the above what has changed on two weeks? Besides making one helluva statement by leaving his team mates in the lurch.

The footballers who recently didn't go with Bafana got chastised for that but now its ok because he is a rugby player who could earn more and we should bow down before him? That's not sport and does not epitomize the values of being a Springbok and hero for your country.

Ill say it once more - its not about the money as people are free to earn the best living possible and if he wanted to 'save' his body to earn Yen then he should have respectably withdrawn from the squad in the beginning not when he was central to their plans. Its about breaking your commitment to your team and country and to do so under mysterious circumstance only derails the preparation of the team.

Edited by JGR

He is quoted as saying the environment is great, likes the coach and he is playing so is not injured. There is no speculation about that as those are fact - as stated by the person concerned.

"The environment in the Springbok squad is fantastic and I would like to state categorically that my relationship with Heyneke Meyer, the rest of the management and my teammates is very good," said Steyn in the statement.

Now I ask you - do you think it is fair that he disrupts the entire team during a series. If he has stated he is happy with the above what has changed on two weeks? Besides making one helluva statement by leaving his team mates in the lurch.

The footballers who recently didn't go with Bafana got chastised for that but now its ok because he is a rugby player who could earn more and we should bow down before him? That's not sport and does not epitomize the values of being a Springbok and hero for your country.

Ill say it once more - its not about the money as people are free to earn the best living possible and if he wanted to 'save' his body to earn Yen then he should have respectably withdrawn from the squad in the beginning not when he was central to their plans. Its about breaking your commitment to your team and country and to do so under mysterious circumstance only derails the preparation of the team.

I hear you. Not ideal at all to have disruptions to the team the week before a game. No arguments there, and agree 100 bags that no one is bigger than the team. However I don't know what led up to this, so I can't say he's right and he's wrong. My guess is it's not straight forward. My other guess is making a decision like that to walk after such a long involvement wouldn't be taken without just consideration . Still got to look your mates in the eye. I'd love to know what the rest of the players have to say ( have to wait for someone's book !), cos that's a good barometer.

Fransie's exit feels like a PERMANENT one.

He served well.

Hmmmm... That would be great loss to the Green and Gold.

And every exit is an entrance.

This is an opportunity for new talent to be introduced.

I hear you. Not ideal at all to have disruptions to the team the week before a game. No arguments there, and agree 100 bags that no one is bigger than the team. However I don't know what led up to this, so I can't say he's right and he's wrong. My guess is it's not straight forward. My other guess is making a decision like that to walk after such a long involvement wouldn't be taken without just consideration . Still got to look your mates in the eye. I'd love to know what the rest of the players have to say ( have to wait for someone's book !), cos that's a good barometer.

Dont get me wrong, there is obviously a lot we dont know and its the professional era and people deserve to be paid ect. Its just the timing of it and the vague statements (from him) causes a ruckus a few days before the first game of the season. Im sure it will wash up soon and all will be told. Good opportunity for Serfontein and happy FdP is starting.

South Africa:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthrö Steenkamp

Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Johan Goosen, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

Edited by JGR

I rate Jan highly. I think he's going to be cracker once he settles in, and could be world class with JPs clever rugby outside him. Solid defender and does things instinctively.

Would have been happy starting with Goosen at 10. Also chuffed for Lood after a really hardworking season at Cheetahs.

While I'm sure the facts surrounding this mess will emerge, it's very disappointing & pretty unprofessional that this wasn't resolved prior to the start of the International season!