Rugby...

'Dale

As his first game, he tried to play safe and use continuity by selecting most of the players from the Boks' last games. But that meant even though he identified the in form players of the S15 season in his bigger group, he couldn't play them. Unfortunately a lot of last year's stars played below par on Saturday. And now you end up in a situation where you have to win and he will become even more conservative. 

He did roll the dice though with his instructions to Ackermann for the A team against the Saxons. That also didn't work if you regard a win as a good sign. It did show though that some of that players aren't up for international level. 

I think what this weekend has really showed us is that things are grinding down in our rugby. The u.20's lost to Argentina, the A team lost and the Boks lost to 14 men, at home, to Ireland. Looking back at previous years, things are not well as it should've been and could've been.

It is politics, of course, but also world view: a win is not so important as the demographics of the team. It is really frustrating, but the majority of the country is actually more happy when the team is demographically representative to the last percentage point and lose, than when a team selected on merit wins. 

It goes to all sports and even business: merit and results are not the ultimate. An example, at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Nieu-Delhi our ambassador was quoted saying, when the teams paraded at the opening ceremony, that "this team is not representative of South Africa". Why? Because there were too many pale faces. 

Outcomes are not so important. I don't know how we can resolve this. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As his first game, he tried to play safe and use continuity by selecting most of the players from the Boks' last games. But that meant even though he identified the in form players of the S15 season in his bigger group, he couldn't play them. Unfortunately a lot of last year's stars played below par on Saturday. And now you end up in a situation where you have to win and he will become even more conservative. 

He did roll the dice though with his instructions to Ackermann for the A team against the Saxons. That also didn't work if you regard a win as a good sign. It did show though that some of that players aren't up for international level. 

I think what this weekend has really showed us is that things are grinding down in our rugby. The u.20's lost to Argentina, the A team lost and the Boks lost to 14 men, at home, to Ireland. Looking back at previous years, things are not well as it should've been and could've been.

It is politics, of course, but also world view: a win is not so important as the demographics of the team. It is really frustrating, but the majority of the country is actually more happy when the team is demographically representative to the last percentage point and lose, than when a team selected on merit wins. 

It goes to all sports and even business: merit and results are not the ultimate. An example, at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Nieu-Delhi our ambassador was quoted saying, when the teams paraded at the opening ceremony, that "this team is not representative of South Africa". Why? Because there were too many pale faces. 

How did you get to that conclusion?

You can't blame quotas for the loss against Ireland. The only guys in that team that I would consider calling quotas are Kolisi and JPP. Beast deserves to be there, and so does Mvovo, Jantjies and Mapoe. Kolisi is good, but not the best (we have so many good loose forwards). JPP is a has been and is there purely on reputation and maybe demographics. 

However, Kolisi played pretty well (compared to the rest) on Saturday. JPP was crap as usual, but so whas the rest of the team. I put more blame on the so called experienced players in that team that just did not pitch up for the game.

You mean FIKILE

So the sounds coming from the bok camp this week indicates we'll see the same team again on Saturday, with M. Steyn on the bench. Eish. Talk about 1 step forward 2 steps back. I would have preferred anyone other than Steyn, even Brummer or one of the young WP flyhalves if AC doesn't want to risk April. Another guy people have forgotten about is Boshoff, who is already a bok and should fit in better with the bok's gameplan. Not sure why he was given the cold shoulder by the lions this super rugby season though.

Unfortunately with the series now on the line I'm afraid the team will probably stay the same for the next 2 tests. Even if we win the Ellispark game, the 3rd test will be a decider so he won't make wholesale changes for that one. So guys like Julian, Combrinck, Jaco Kriel will most likely miss out, which would be a real shame.

PSDT and WW did really well when they came one, so I would give both of them a start. Malherbe was piss poor so I would start Julian ahead of him, actually drop him from the match 23 and bring in Kitshoff on the bench. Jaco Kriel and WW has to start, so it's up to AC how he wants to mix his forwards with Kolisi and Duane in there too, although neither of them did much to deserve retaining their place.

Flouw made in 55 minutes 1 turnover and 7 tackles. Duane 80 minutes 9 tackles, 2 missed, 2 knocks. Kolisi 80 minutes 6 tackles and 1 missed. Whiteley 25mins, 7 tackles. Got these stats from another forum, so don't quote me!

Put Combrinck in at 14 and Jessie Kriel at 15. Then you have paige and M steyn on the bench (whoopee), and Willie (Willie reguit hardloop nie)

Not pleased with Morne Steyn's return to the squad as well. Would by far have preferred having his namesake Frans rather to take over the inside center berth (see my comments further down). As for flyhalf cover Boshoff (I am sure he played while EJ was injured or am I misremembering?) would definitely be a more suited choice than Morne. Wouldn't risk Jean-Luc Du Plessis for the same reason as not risking April and on top of that Dup is actually the Stormers' third choice. Not sure it would be wise to elevate him just yet as he needs to earn first choice status at the Stormers. Although admittedly he has done well so far.

As for the front row: why the heck JR didn't start last week I really don't know. I felt he had been good all SR (this year and last), so for sure a swap there.

Locks: A straight forward swap of PSDT in ahead of De Jager. Maybe PS can slap Ysterbeth to awake from his slumber and get him fired up.

Loose forwards: I think going with the initial balance you suggested prior to the first test would work best i.e. Kriel 6, DV 7 & WW 8. However then the Boks need to adjust their play to be similar to the Lions when it comes to scrum time tactics otherwise you lose any benefit of swapping DV and WW around. It should also theoretically ease interplay between the loosies and the half backs.

Half backs: no changes, just play them for 80 minutes and they'll keep us in the hunt.

Center: I would say drop DDA but who is there to replace him with currently? Mapoe needs another chance and DDA must be instructed to make sure he bloody well passes the ball to Mapoe. Mapoe is a fantastic player and I was disappointed to read that DDA didn't gel well with him. Serfontein would have been streets better than DDA but is sadly injured.

Back three: Combrinck 11, Mvovo 14 & Jesse Kriel 15. Another possible line up here is having Mvovo 15, Pietersen 14 & Combrinck 11. However I much prefer the first option as it keeps players in positions that are natural to their game as well as giving us pure speed out wide!

Bench to include those that were dropped giving them a second shot at performing well for the Boks.

In general everyone needs to be reminded that playing for SA is a privilege and not a given right and that they as a collective need to earn our trust and respect again. This should be made clear to especially Strauss as there is another very viable captain in the Bok ranks in WW. No being a sore loser in the post match interview should we fall short again. He really urks me with that. Didn't like his promotion to captain and still don't. He needs to buck up and give us a proper performance as expected from a Bok captain.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

You can't blame quotas for the loss against Ireland. The only guys in that team that I would consider calling quotas are Kolisi and JPP. Beast deserves to be there, and so does Mvovo, Jantjies and Mapoe. Kolisi is good, but not the best (we have so many good loose forwards). JPP is a has been and is there purely on reputation and maybe demographics.

However, Kolisi played pretty well (compared to the rest) on Saturday. JPP was crap as usual, but so whas the rest of the team. I put more blame on the so called experienced players in that team that just did not pitch up for the game.

You mean FIKILE

I wouldn't refer to any of the non white players as being quota's. JP and Kolisi didn't play to their ability and JP if anything is highly overrated.

I wouldn't refer to any of the non white players as being quota's. JP and Kolisi didn't play to their ability and JP if anything is highly overrated.

The word quota certainly isn't very PC in SA. But come on, let's be honest about it here. We know there has to be a certain number of players of colour in the team. So if a player is chosen because of his skin colour, what else should he be called? Then again, many players in the current bok team are not the best in their positions so they're all quotas, no matter their skin colour  :D

Bossie played when the Lions demolished the Bulls. So yes he's still around and that game showed he's still right up there with Elton. I don't know why Ackers didn't rotate him and Elton this year, something must have happened behind the scenes..

Bossie played when the Lions demolished the Bulls. So yes he's still around and that game showed he's still right up there with Elton. I don't know why Ackers didn't rotate him and Elton this year, something must have happened behind the scenes..

He was injured earlier in the season and had to work his way back into the squad, they way it should be.

I am not his biggest fan but he had brilliant game against the Bulls.

He was injured earlier in the season and had to work his way back into the squad, they way it should be.

I am not his biggest fan but he had brilliant game against the Bulls.

I didn't know he was injured? Remember he was first choice during the CC last year, so at the start of super rugby lions supporters weren't sure if he would be first choice or Jantjies. Then Jantjies started and Bossie wasn't included at all. Vd Walt was flyhalf cover. He was only called up when both Jantjies and vd Walt got injured.

The word quota certainly isn't very PC in SA. But come on, let's be honest about it here. We know there has to be a certain number of players of colour in the team. So if a player is chosen because of his skin colour, what else should he be called? Then again, many players in the current bok team are not the best in their positions so they're all quotas, no matter their skin colour :D

Personally I had felt that the 31 man squad had been selected on merit. EJ for example is the best 10 available to SA for purely rugby reasons, his non white demographic is just a bonus. Kolisi though is a puzzle as he can play both 6 or 7 but there doesn't seem to be a clear plan on choosing which he is more suited to and letting him develop from there. It's definitely hurting him imho. JP is a fine wing just overrated, much the same can be said of Mbonangi (spelling). Everyone deserved their places. It's finding the right balance for the run on XV and the support players on the bench from within the squad that counts. Obviously all this must be allied to performing.

I didn't know he was injured? Remember he was first choice during the CC last year, so at the start of super rugby lions supporters weren't sure if he would be first choice or Jantjies. Then Jantjies started and Bossie wasn't included at all. Vd Walt was flyhalf cover. He was only called up when both Jantjies and vd Walt got injured.

Looks like he just wasnt picked

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/ex-bok-questions-boshoffs-exclusion-20160224

Off to Ireland after Super Rugby Season

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/lions-pivot-boshoff-off-to-ireland-20160315

Edited by Escapee..

On the contrary, only the ANC are demanding this and Afriforum is using this to challenge the sports ministry. 

Pretoria – More than 70% of black South Africans do not believe that sport teams should be picked based on transformation goals, but rather purely on merit.

This is according to a 2016 national survey by the SA Institute of Race Relations, which asked South Africans for their opinion regarding merit-based selections of sports teams.

A total of 77% of all South Africans were in favour of teams picked based on merit, without any use of racial quotas. Of the black people who took part in the survey, 74.2% agreed.

For the rest of the population, 87% of coloureds, 94.9% of Asians, and 84.3% of whites were in favour of merit-based selection.

The survey involved 2 245 people from all nine provinces, of whom 1 757 were black.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/most-black-south-africans-oppose-sport-quotas-survey-20160531

Please, I want to know.  How many white Frenchmen are there in the French football team? And white Americans in the US Basketball team? Why do this representation issue only apply to us?

Please, I want to know.  How many white Frenchmen are there in the French football team? And white Americans in the US Basketball team? Why do this representation issue only apply to us?

have you been sleeping for the last 66 years - Rip van Winkle