Cape Pioneer Trek 2012 Route

GLuvsMtb

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is no more an excuse for guys that moan that the CPT is too HARD.

I really hope the race will grow over the next few years. You will not easily find a more commited, passionate and enthusiastic team then Henco and the Dryland team.

Looking forward to this year's race.

Apart from GBU, is anyone else doing this? I'm quite keen it give it a bash, perhaps with my wife. Gonna see if I can rustle up a sponser.

Sponsor rustled up (thank you Mrs Eddy) , partner found and entry made. :thumbup:

training starts tomorrow :w00t:

Sponsor rustled up (thank you Mrs Eddy) , partner found and entry made. :thumbup:

training starts tomorrow :w00t:

Mrs G-Unit organized sponsor, so according to her, training starts tomorrow. USN race in the mornIng after a bottle of red wine. Eish, hanging on for dear life again...

Rather train hard and cry rivers now than at the Trek.

Do not under estimate this event, it is well organized but NOT easy. You will ride through some difficult and technical single track or jeep track in seering heat, cold, wind or rain to see some of Katots' beautiful Karoo gems. You will see some parts of the Karoo you never thought it would exist. The climbs are hard, long and sometimes brutal.

Fortunately you will not find a stampede when you need a shower, toilet or food as with most events today with too many entries (in my humble opinion). I still rate the CPT on top of my list of all the other events I've completed thus far in my short Mtbiking fun riding weekend warrior career.

Pity they moved the race to earlier in the month. I was hoping to make this Pioneer No.3 , but I will still be overseas. Great race, well worth considering.

Agree with Nathrix, don't take the Pioneer lightly. Train hard and it will be an absolute jol.

I did a very basic comparative between the 2011 and 2012 routes.

let me explain the indexing quickly. Its simply ascent divided by kms. In theory the higher the index, the "tougher" the stage.

Please don't throw your stones yet. I know that its not that simple. For me it is an indicator of what Dryland is trying to accomplish with this year's event.

Definately shorter stages and probably less time on the bike, but km for km as tough or perhaps tougher than 2011's race. So come prepared. It will be tough on the body and the bike.

CAPE PIONEER COMPARATIVE.pdf

Edited by MorewoodMad

let me explain the indexing quickly. Its simply ascent divided by kms. In theory the higher the index, the "tougher" the stage.

Please don't throw your stones yet. I know that its not that simple. For me it is an indicator of what Dryland is trying to accomplish with this year's event.

Definately shorter stages and probably less time on the bike, but km for km as tough or perhaps tougher than 2011's race. So come prepared. It will be tough on the body and the bike.

Day 2 is the real killer. 2700m in 85 km is a brute, anyway you look at it. Good luck to the pros racIng for a R100k on that! I'm just gonna be chuffed as f$&k to do that climb...

see what you're trying to say, but totally disagree.

let's forget that it's spread over an extra stage.

let's forget that all kms are not created easily

looking at bare figures only.

distance came down by ~20%

total climbing down by ~15%

'index' only went up by ~10%

2012 is easier. and that's what they said when they announced it.

Cool, all paid up and entry properly confirmed on the website. 16 weeks to go, so perfect time to start training. Cant wait to freeze my balls off in the dark tomorrow morning...

Day 2 is the real killer. 2700m in 85 km is a brute, anyway you look at it. Good luck to the pros racIng for a R100k on that! I'm just gonna be chuffed as f$&k to do that climb...

The Swartbergpass climb IS hard, rode it Dec, both ways, but what makes it (relatively) easy is the good road surface. At least it's not jeeptrack!!

• 1 month later...

How's everyone's training going? 2 and a bit months left. Every time I train I manage to get sick - I had to sit out all of last week as well as this weekend.

How's everyone's training going? 2 and a bit months left. Every time I train I manage to get sick - I had to sit out all of last week as well as this weekend.

Me too!! I am getting nervous as hell!!

I had a good April

In May I was overseas for 2 weeks, so a baaaad week and gained 2 kg - too much Brazilian steaks

Had a good June with the Kremetart and the 200 km Audax

July - sick for 2 weeks, but managed to complete the Jock, only just!!

I can only hope for a better Aug and Sept!!!

Me too!! I am getting nervous as hell!!

I had a good April

In May I was overseas for 2 weeks, so a baaaad week and gained 2 kg - too much Brazilian steaks

Had a good June with the Kremetart and the 200 km Audax

July - sick for 2 weeks, but managed to complete the Jock, only just!!

I can only hope for a better Aug and Sept!!!

You doing it solo or with a partner?