26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

This may be a conversation that has been had many times before but I only started mountain biking 6 months ago so it is still rather interesting to me :)

Down a mine shaft the heavier one will win :blink:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Down a mine shaft the heavier one will win :blink:

Not sure if that is TRUE???

If I remember correctly:

g = 9.81 m/s2 = 32.2 ft/s2

hence ignoring air resistance, any object, when dropped from the same height, will hit the ground at the same time. This means that the 29" and 26" inch will be eqaully fast.

If I remember correctly:

hence ignoring air resistance, any object, when dropped from the same height, will hit the ground at the same time. This means that the 29" and 26" inch will be eqaully fast.

Nope. The 29er will have more air resistance cos of the bigger tires. So it will lose...

Nope. The 29er will have more air resistance cos of the bigger tires. So it will lose...

Win!

If I remember correctly:

If we assume that the 29'er and the 26'er are both HT and they are both mediums from the same manufacturer .... then the 29'er with the larger surface area on the tyres, wheels and who knows what else will strike the ground last ....?

Lol, "ignoring air resistance" :)

If we assume that the 29'er and the 26'er are both HT and they are both mediums from the same manufacturer .... then the 29'er with the larger surface area on the tyres, wheels and who knows what else will strike the ground last ....?

:) :)

I still say we call the MYTHBUSTERS

Too slow, Hairy... you must be on the niner...

Edited by cptmayhem

Yeah, but we can't ignore air resistance in a real world application, now can we? ;)

If you only take the additional resistance caused by the larger tyres, the difference will still be almost negligible or do you disagree? Point I was trying to make is that down a mine shaft, the weight of the bike is not the key variable to consider (in real life)

If you only take the additional resistance caused by the larger tyres, the difference will still be almost negligible or do you disagree? Point I was trying to make is that down a mine shaft, the weight of the bike is not the key variable to consider (in real life)

almost negligible. And yes, the weight has nothing to do with it. Just air resistance.

But the 9er would still lose. :clap:

And the point captain was trying to make is that he wants to chuck a niner down a mine shaft...

I rode a 29er this weekend for the first time. It was a Scott dual suspension. And I'm not impressed. The track consisted mostly of single track with some tight turns and climbs. I felt like a clown trying to takecthose corners. I was dissapointed and happy to get back on my 26er. I'm no expert, but for my riding style I won't be buying into the (apparent) hype.

Don't you feel like every LBS owner or sponsored cyclist just rides 2øers to boost sales?