26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

"We had some tests here in South Africa in December when we had the 26, the 27.5 and the 29er all built up exactly the same with the same wheels and everything," Frischknecht told BikeRadar just prior to the start of the race.

"We tested them in a group of three pretty intensely over 14 days and we came to the conclusion that the 27.5 feels like 26 in tight, technical and slower stuff but rides more like a 29er on faster singletrail and gives you almost the same safe feel. Our conclusion after those tests was that it's not a compromise – it combines the best of both worlds and we're totally convinced this is the way to go."

Edited by Pain or Shine
font size

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I just looked into my crystal ball and saw into the future. Hardtail=29er. Trail/all mountain=650b. DH =26. Basically the more travel you have the smaller the wheel size. Smaller wheels are theoretically stronger anyway so fit the aplication well. In ten years it won't be 29 vs 26, it'll be wheelsize appropriate for what you ACTUALLY NEED!

Oh Bull ... I actually NEED one bike in each size with varying travel bikes and maybe even a butch roadie bike (read cyclocross bike) .... what I get though might not be as per above :(

A few things that peeked me interest at PMB regarding wheel sizes:

Nino said he like the 29er wheel size but couldn't get his position right so he used the 27.5.

A 26, 27.5 and a 29 (plus a 29er duallie) were all represented in the top 5 which to me suggests the difference in performance between the wheel sizes is minimal.

Emily Batty was on a 29er wheel - ok she has been for a while but it destroys the "short people shouldn't ride 29er" + see comment 2 about the difference not being huge.

Maty showed Emily a clean pair of heels down BOTH sides of the rock garden proving that wheel size has got very littlew to do with technical skills.

Me - I like 29er wheels. I liked them more when they were the exception rather than the norm. Do I think they're faster? For my riding style and the courses I ride I think so (note I don't know so - I think so). There really isn't a way to measure.

You'd swear we were talking penis size not wheel size the way everyone gets all emotional about it. Personally wheel size is about as important to me as stem/crank length and tyre choice.

I'm sure the guys try the different bike sizes in practice and go with the one they are quickest on. I think its great they have choice. All the top guys are sponsored and therefore money isn't an issue so they can ride the bike they want as long as its the brand that sponsors them.

I reckon majority of the top riders will be on 29ers for the Epic.

Oh Bull ... I actually NEED one bike in each size with varying travel bikes and maybe even a butch roadie bike (read cyclocross bike) .... what I get though might not be as per above :(

I'm with Hairy. Multiple bikes of all wheel sizes are the answer. One day when I grow up I will have a quiver of bikes...

Yup, could see this one coming. Now that most MTBrs have and old 26er hanging in the garage, a new 29er to brag about, the bike industry had to think up ways to make even more money. Why didn't they go this route earlier?

Thank heavens I did not spend money on a 29er. I can almost hear all bike manufacturers rubbing their hands together for the next round of spending by MTBrs wanting to get one before their mates.

Yup, could see this one coming. Now that most MTBrs have and old 26er hanging in the garage, a new 29er to brag about, the bike industry had to think up ways to make even more money. Why didn't they go this route earlier?

Thank heavens I did not spend money on a 29er. I can almost hear all bike manufacturers rubbing their hands together for the next round of spending by MTBrs wanting to get one before their mates.

I am glad I spent money on my 29'er SS ... that bike leaves me with a smile after every ride.

Hey, if youre happy, then that's all that really matter. Just put your hands over your ears when you start to hear the chatter around you. :whistling:

Did anybody pay attention to what the commentators said during the Men's XC race regarding wheel size? Kinda made some sense in that frame size could determine wheel size. S=26", M-L=650B and L-XL=29" (I am sure they were talking XC bikes and not trail, AM and DH etc.

Interesting to listen to the international commentary from PMB this weekend, as well as comments from the Specialized team boss.

I summarize: 26' for XS and small frame sizes

27,5' (650B) for med and large

29er for large, XL and XXL frames

All about proportion

Did anybody pay attention to what the commentators said during the Men's XC race regarding wheel size? Kinda made some sense in that frame size could determine wheel size. S=26", M-L=650B and L-XL=29" (I am sure they were talking XC bikes and not trail, AM and DH etc.

Oh flip I am a size between the two

I've said it before somewhere on another thread here on the Hub, 26, 27 & 29 must compete in their own categories. It's only a matter of time before they split them up.

No man, you can't be serious. I bet they'll never do that ...

The type of riding also make a differene, as sauserwind said, the common consumer needs an endurance bike and not a xc race/sprinting machine, and for endurance riding the 29er works great even for smaller bikes.

Yes heard Frischnecht (i think it was him) say that, and I dont think it will happen like that because IF you believe the current 29er hype then the shorter guys will all be at a disadvantage. What happens if your a shorty and want to ride a 29er????

Basicaly they need to get the 27.5er up and running and offer all 3 options, let the rider choose what he wants to ride.

There should be no communism in mountainbiking

My wife rides a 26" XS and proportionaly it looks like a 29" M. Obviously the BB height would be different.