26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Merge doesn't make sense. Mine was a Poll, the other one a discussion.thumbdown.gif

I'm in agreement here too... why limit any discussion relating to 29" or 26" to one thread? Why not just lump all MTB or road posts into one thread then? A 13+ page thread is not appealing to open either.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pants are very much on. My thread was meant to answer this: "So you want to buy a Hardtail 29er to see what an extra 3" feels like? How much are you willing to spend?" Nothing to do which one is faster or what who says about what wheel size. Therefor the merge doesn't make sense.

Common sense may yet prevail.

My pants are very much on. My thread was meant to answer this: "So you want to buy a Hardtail 29er to see what an extra 3" feels like? How much are you willing to spend?" Nothing to do which one is faster or what who says about what wheel size. Therefor the merge doesn't make sense.

Common sense may yet prevail.

My good man. You are talking Homo sapiens?

Since when has common sense prevailed? Common, yes. Sense, no.

To answer your question (I went back to the beginning...), why are you dithering - ON ONE!!! - all the way.

I fear that your sense has got the better of your common. And that the silly orange colour is blinding your perspective.

Paint the orange one black, look again, and then make your choice.

Rob, Rob, you must learn to read, and to think before you speak (write). Where in my post did I mention the word 'better'. Where did I say a 29er is better than a 26er. Where did I say digital is better than vinyl. I think you just made a fool of yourself with this rediculous reply on my innocent statement about being old school and new trends and developments.

Sigh. Really? Do I need to explain your implication?

Why has this thread been merged with the 26/29 poll? Makes no sense. What is happening today? I know it's Monday but shees guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 26inch Scott Spark, large frame, and I love this bike. However, I recognise the benefits of the bigger 29inch wheels on the marathon routes. I do not plan on buying a new 29er soon, and would rather like to know whether it is possible to fit 27.5 inch wheels to my existing bike frame without buying a new fork etc.?

Also, how would the 27.5 inch wheels impact on the 26 inch frame geometry, if any? Anybody out there that has tried or done this maybe?

Thanks

what fork are you running... manitou R7 and fox work even dt swiss. not much geometry change really , you might want to drop your stem by few spacers and extend by 1 cm.

what fork are you running... manitou R7 and fox work even dt swiss. not much geometry change really , you might want to drop your stem by few spacers and extend by 1 cm.

Thanks jeepdude.

I have a Fox 32 F 120 RL upfront. You reckon it will work? Did you convert your 26" frame with 27.5" wheels?

I'd like to hear some opinions from the guys that have done this, and if the extra 1.5" is worth the effort/ costs?

Thanks jeepdude.

I have a Fox 32 F 120 RL upfront. You reckon it will work? Did you convert your 26" frame with 27.5" wheels?

I'd like to hear some opinions from the guys that have done this, and if the extra 1.5" is worth the effort/ costs?

i have done it yes. Fox is your BEST bet with the most clearance.

i had a dual suspension set up and it felt like i added WAY more travel but i i suffered on climbs.

i then had a GT Zaskar carbon hardtail... climbed like a dream on rocky stuff and rolling over rough stuff was awesome.. i tend to look for effecient racing machines as opposed to ALL day marathon bikes... i think your spark upsize would rock

added WAY more travel but i i suffered on climbs.

Great info, thanks. Did you suffer more on the climbs due to the bigger wheels, or due to the dual suspension setup?

I suffer enough on the climbs already.. don't want to do anything thast will contribute towards an even slower climb..

Hold onto those purse strings ladies, time to pony up for the 'tweener', 650B is acoming..

http://twentynineinches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/revelation-650b.png

From SRAMs MY2013 OEM catalog

Article quoted from TwentyNineInches.com

We’ve covered the “Goldilocks” wheel size, better known as 650B, here before at TNI. We even had a website dedicated to the mtb version of the ISO584 tires and bikes for awhile, but it was scuttled after the initial interest in 650B waned and manufacturers let the wheel size sink back into the shadows for awhile. Now, it is poised for not just a return, but to be “the next big thing” in mountain biking.

We were tipped off to the existence of the above image showing a Rock Shox 650B version of a Revelation model fork back in mid-December from an Australian source. This shows us that the 650B presence in the marketplace is going to be real. Why? Because the tooling and set up to make a fork lower is expensive, and Rock Shox/SRAM isn’t going to produce a fork like this without an OE contractor. Who could that be?

We have had contact with representatives of DT Swiss who told us back in December that they were “getting hammered” about 650B specific wheels from several manufacturers, including a “California based” manufacturer that was going to hit the market with a line of 650B mountain bike products. We were also tipped off by this same DT Swiss source saying that several new tires were also in the works to support this new push for 650B wheels.

Why Now? Here at Twenty Nine Inches, we’ve analyzed the reasons why a 650B mountain bike might be getting a big push from several manufacturers. First, take a look at the model that was chosen for 650B suspension duties. That Revelation model has a travel rating from 130mm to 150mm. This overlaps the maximum travel that we’ve seen 29″ers go to. Many manufacturers are expressing to us the difficulties in making a 29 inch full suspension bike that combines all the attributes of short chain stays, long travel, and triple chain ring capacity with the biggest 2.4″ tires on wide rims. 650B has always been touted as a way to overcome that issue. Next, front ends and stand over issues are another complexity facing designers of longer travel 29″ers. 650B would obviously relax those issues for designers of 5 plus inch travel bikes.

650B will therefore be seen as a way to get your cake and eat it too. Bigger wheels with longer travel with none of the geometry and fit issues that come along with 29 inch wheels. We’re going to hear about this a lot, and soon we’ll be seeing these products and bikes appear. Our bet is that Sea Otter will be quite interesting this year.

While we suspect some 650B hard tails will also come along in the coat tails of this new push for 650B, we’re betting it will be slotted into the longer travel applications where 29″er wheels are proving to be a difficult sell to the core market users of long travel and where the designers of full suspension for those folks don’t feel 29 inch wheels work.

Edited by Capricorn

Asterix and Obelix visits Egypt, they go sight seeing and visit the pyramids and the sphinx. Asterix does curio shopping looking and bargaining for mini sphinx statues because Getafix said he wants one.. Obelix wanders off an climbs up the face of the sphinx. He steps on the nose and part of the crumbling nose shears off. (No Napoleon did not shoot it off in target practice!!!!) The Arab trader where Asterix is haggling looks up with horror on his face and sees the new effigy of the sphinx, He whips out a hammer and chisel and modifies his minuatures chopping their noses off. Next frame shows all the stalls and their Arab owners doin the same.

I read something of that in the story above.