DO HELMETS HAVE AN EXPIRY DATE ?

bassasdaindia

Ok,so i know that motorbike helmets have an expiry date stamped on the inside of the helmet. (normally 5 years from date of manufacture)

Do bicycle helmets also have an expiry date ?

apparently they do, BUT it's hard to tell if it's the usual marketing BS from the helmet guys or actual science.

is there any independant evidence that this is necessary? I'd like to go and trade in my uncrashed ~7 year old Bell and get a discount on their latest model. That's not how they work.

As far as I can remember it was something like 3 years? I could be mistaken.

I remember that my Bell has a 3 year replacement warranty - crash or not - and you get 30% of the purchase price off you next helmet

yes they do.

It's usually when the next lightest one comes out.

Which does remind me..... my helmet is getting to it's 3 year (actually 2) expiry date..... :devil:

What new Bell models are out there :thumbup:

Which does remind me..... my helmet is getting to it's 3 year (actually 2) expiry date..... :devil:

What new Bell models are out there :thumbup:

Rudy is Italian flair and will go with your specs?

Ok,so i know that motorbike helmets have an expiry date stamped on the inside of the helmet. (normally 5 years from date of manufacture)

Do bicycle helmets also have an expiry date ?

I dont know, good question, maybe check on-line what the manufacturer suggests. I didnt know M/cycle helmet's had an expiry date, I looked in my AGV now but I couldn't see any, although if its a tag its possible it fell off. My AGV is probably 7 years old now, I had the inner lining replaced at a local motorcycle helmet manufacturer somewhere out near Carnival City, he did a great job and it only cost about 500 bucks, but he never mentioned anything about replacing it.

I understand they both work in fairly harsh conditions so I wouldn't really have an issue with it, I figure they know more about it than me, but if its true, one would have thought they would make a bigger song and dance out of it and kind of make users aware, I mean its a super way of getting someone to buy a new helmet, but I dont know, I have been riding M/cycles and Bicycles for more than 30 years now and I cant remember ever seeing an ad or an article saying change your helmet after XYZ time and giving some real Bona Fida reasons for doing so.

It would be interesting to hear from a manufacturer or a manufacturers distributors dont you think.?

You should replace every 5 years. Not sure of the reason but I can imagine 5 years of sweat eventually taking its toll.

You should replace every 5 years. Not sure of the reason but I can imagine 5 years of sweat eventually taking its toll.

I was about to say...

You would need to look at the life span of polystyrene, wouldn't you? I reckon that its a bit of the old marketing ploy. A bodyboard is made form the same stuff and is still useable and has remarkable stiffness 5 years down the line.

Does anybody know where to buy the inner lining of the helmet.The stuff that looks like an old sock after 6 month,s use