Carbon stem & handle bar

PYGA1

Hi All, I'm looking at upgrading my current bar and stem to a carbon set, probably Easton, is there actually any performance advantage in going with carbon or is it just look ? the weight saving is there but it's not a moving part so I doubt I will feel the difference ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The carbon will soak up the some of the reverberation from the trail, I've just switched over and can give you more details when I ride with it for the first time tomorrow afternoon. I've just got an Easton EC-70, having changed from a Race Face Ali bar.

There is the weight saving, I saved 120g when changing over.

I don't think that carbon is really about the weight, albeit that there may be a bit of a saving. In terms of a handlebar/stem, it's as Caerus said, some vibration dampening and also increased stiffness/responsiveness. (or so the manufacturers say LOL)

And definitely looks.! ;)

Edited by Thomo

I'm not sure about going with a carbon stem and would be interested to hear what other say. I need to get a longer stem some time soon.

I don't think that carbon is really about the weight, albeit that there may be a bit of a saving. In terms of a handlebar/stem, it's as Caerus said, some vibration dampening and also increased stiffness/responsiveness. (or so the manufacturers say LOL)

And definitely looks.! ;)

Its funny that the manufacturers say that about the responsiveness of carbon bars, would the response not be coming from the rider?

The carbon bars do look way better then the bars I've just switched from :drool:

I can testify that there is a big improvement from alu with regard to stiffenss and responsiveness- could not believe the difference as I also though that it could not make such a big difference from alu.

I can testify that there is a big improvement from alu with regard to stiffenss and responsiveness- could not believe the difference as I also though that it could not make such a big difference from alu.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the responsiveness side of things. From the sounds of it, I should be loving life when I take it out for a spin on Wednesday :clap: So much of excited now

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the responsiveness side of things. From the sounds of it, I should be loving life when I take it out for a spin on Wednesday :clap: So much of excited now

Its like driving a power steering car versus non power steering ;)

Its like driving a power steering car versus non power steering ;)

Well that summed it all up in one sentence :thumbup:

I don't understand this responsiveness thing. What does it mean? What units are ued to measure it?

Placebo effect possibly?

I'm not an engineer, but I cannot see how a small tube the length of a stem or even a handle bar can give any noticable difference in vibration damping. If it does, there is no way a human will be able to tell the difference.Besides, doesn't the front fork absorb all the bumps anyway.

There is only one benefit and that is looks.

Fit the carbon stuff and you will feel the difference, that's all! I am no engineer and therefore I do not now how to measure this, but there was in my case a definate improvement in stiffeness and repsonsiveness.

I'm not an engineer, but I cannot see how a small tube the length of a stem or even a handle bar can give any noticable difference in vibration damping. If it does, there is no way a human will be able to tell the difference.Besides, doesn't the front fork absorb all the bumps anyway.

There is only one benefit and that is looks.

I have ridden enough bikes and handlebar/stem combinations to tell you that there is a HUGE difference in feel.

Or you can talk to Christie. He's an engineer and will talk not only mambo jumbo figures but will also be able to talk out of years of experience.

Just trust me on this one!

Carbon fibre has flex, albeit microscopically.

Lighter as well.

Both variables helps with feel on the ride.

Fit the carbon stuff and you will feel the difference, that's all! I am no engineer and therefore I do not now how to measure this, but there was in my case a definate improvement in stiffeness and repsonsiveness.

There was a definite difference in the feel of the ride today with the carbon bars. :thumbup: