Carbon stem & handle bar

PYGA1

Hmmm. I just took off the stock Carbon bar from my Reign, and replaced it with an Alu. Easton Haven.

For me, I cannot feel a difference in stiffness, but I definitely trust it more.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no contradiction regarding damping properties. Structural damping is dissipation of energy under elastic deformation, mostly in the fotm of tiny amounts of heat. Some materials dissipate more when they deform - but deformation is necesary. Less deformation means less damping. A stiff bar/frame or whatever won't damp as much as a flexible one, regardless of mateial. The shocks of a car have got the ability to significantly damp vibration, but if the coil springs are replaced by solid blocks of steel, there will be almost no damping, regardless of what the potential of the shock is, because there is no travel.

Thats why Tour magazine can base their comfort ratings of frames purely on static vertical deflection - it is an excellent indication of the frame's ride comfort on the road, but easier to measure.

To sum it up: less travel means more bumpy ride.

PS. I dont disagree that the damping coefficients for carbon could be more than aluminium, but it needs to bend for a better damping coefficient to help.

it's not carbon itself, rather the carbon composition and multi directional weft. but we are agreed.

actually, it's not really just bending as opposed to something more fundamental, such as slip between the filler and the CNTs as I had stabbed at earlier. this is mighty interesting stuff..

more here.

Edited by Capricorn

i think one of the mods should split this discussion into a separate topic about Carbon fiber composites and vibration damping, or something to that effect.

Like I said, I dont disagree that damping comes from interesting things that happen on a microscopic level. My point is that what happens on a macroscopic level has a big effect.

i think one of the mods should split this discussion into a separate topic about Carbon fiber composites and vibration damping, or something to that effect.

Where to start…? :huh:

I can testify that there is a big improvement from alu with regard to stiffenss and responsiveness- could not believe the difference as I also though that it could not make such a big difference from alu.

+1 on this. Definitely much smoother ride.

Are those integrated bars with stem combo more 'risky' than separate parts, in terms of fracturing?

Are those integrated bars with stem combo more 'risky' than separate parts, in terms of fracturing?

In the case of the Cinnelli ram bar I would say less risky, is a very sound design.

• 2 weeks later...

I read an article (probably on cyclingnews, Im too lazy to go look for the link) that Cavendish uses gel pads and 2 layers of bar tape. That makes a lot of sense to me.